My wifi connection in my house is no longer working

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ericaa428, Mar 20, 2009.

1. ericaa428 macrumors newbie

Hello, I have had my itouch for about 2 weeks now. I brought it home, took it out of the package and set it all up. Instantly, the wifi could connect, I didn't need a password or anything. I go on vacation and try to connect in northern ontario which doesn't work. So I come back a week later and now when I'm in my house it can't connect.

Wifi is On

Choose a Network and I choose linksys, which doesn't always pop up by the way.

There is a lock beside the linksys name.

I click on it and it prompts me for a password which I never needed before.

I don't understand why all of a sudden it isn't working, could it be a problem with my computer's internet connection or a problem with my itouch.

Thanks

2. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

If you didn't have to enter a password to get on when your Touch was new, then it was not password protected. It sounds like someone in your neighborhood found your router and put a password into it. New unprotected routers have known default passwords to their system settings and it would have been trivial for someone to hack your box. It's also possible the router got a firmware update that turned on security. If you know how to get into the router's system settings then you might be able to find the WEP/WAP password if one has been set. If it's been updated or reset, then there might be a password printed a label on the router. Look on the bottom or ends.

Good luck getting it to work. I know my Touch is nearly worthless without wifi.

3. cjmal macrumors 6502

Turn your router off, then back on. This happens to me ocassionally. Wifi is working fine then all of a sudden I get no connection on the iPod. Reseting the router gets everything back to working order.

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

The first question I have is if 'linksys' is your network name? Do you have a Linksys router? If the answer to both these questions is no, then you were probably connecting to a neighbor's network and they put security on it at some point to prevent access. If the answer to both is yes, you can try cjmal's solution but more than likely you'll have to manually reset the router (using the little pinhole on the backside of the router) and re-input the settings. It is pretty odd though that you weren't able to connect even when you were at another location, could possibly be an issue with the iPod touch that a simple reset or restore might address.

5. saberahul macrumors 68040

I totally agree. Linksys is a popular network name and almost everyone uses it. Therefore, I will not be surprise if you are conflicting with someone else's. Other than that consider the option that your family members may have the password? Mine do and I have seen them change the password by mistake and not have realized it.