My wish for unlited free native tethering granted by the AT&T fairy?

tiffanybeta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2010
Ok so I have a jailbroken iPhone 4. I'm still on 4.3.4 iOS and I'm on AT&T. I'm grandfathered into the unlimited data plan they no longer offer. So I got a new tablet recently and since there's no wifi at my house, I was looking into tethering options. I got mywi from cydia and used the 3 day trial but didn't want to pay 20$ for it so I got pdanet and I never could get that to work.
SO, the other day I was in the settings app and for some reason I decided to try enabling the native hotspot feature. Now when I've tried this in the past it tells you to contact AT&T to enable tethering. But this time it worked. Set up my tablet and it's been working fine for 3 days now.
So my question is, how could this have happened?
I rechecked my data plan on the at&t website thinking they may have change my plan for some reason but it still says I have unlimited data. Has this happened to anybody else? Is at&t going to notice? I'm not complaining I love it I just don't want to risk losing my unlimited data plan, its not worth losing to tether.

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
Ok so I have a jailbroken iPhone 4. I'm still on 4.3.4 iOS and I'm on AT&T. I'm grandfathered into the unlimited data plan they no longer offer. So I got a new tablet recently and since there's no wifi at my house, I was looking into tethering options. I got mywi from cydia and used the 3 day trial but didn't want to pay 20$ for it so I got pdanet and I never could get that to work.
SO, the other day I was in the settings app and for some reason I decided to try enabling the native hotspot feature. Now when I've tried this in the past it tells you to contact AT&T to enable tethering. But this time it worked. Set up my tablet and it's been working fine for 3 days now.
So my question is, how could this have happened?
I rechecked my data plan on the at&t website thinking they may have change my plan for some reason but it still says I have unlimited data. Has this happened to anybody else? Is at&t going to notice? I'm not complaining I love it I just don't want to risk losing my unlimited data plan, its not worth losing to tether.
MyWi enables the native tethering if I'm not mistaken. Maybe PDAnet does the same, either that or maybe you haven't uninstalled them yet?

I doubt AT&T just randomly flipped the switch on your tethering for free and unannounced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.