My 'WTF' moment of the day: Apple is pushing Adobe CS5 Suite

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by elgrecomac, May 14, 2010.

1. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

So, today I open up my email and, lo and behold, I received an email from Apple announcing "The all-new Adobe Creative Suite 5. Get yours today." and it pointed me to the Apple.Com web site.

After all the histrionics from both Adobe and Apple over the past few weeks, I was amused in receiving this email from the Apple but it did cause me to stop and ask myself: WTF? I though these guys hate each other.

In reality, its all about sales.

:cool:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That's because you clearly have not been following the Adobe/Apple dispute for the past couple of months. Their disagreement is about Flash, not about CS5.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Well, it's partially about CS5 too as it includes (or at least was supposed) an app that can transfer Flash to iPhone friendly format (am I right?). But yea, in the end it's all about Flash

4. elgrecomac thread starter macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

Well, actually....

I have been following it. With headlines like 'Apple trying to Bury Adobe' and the like, at times, it seemed like it was much more personal: CEO to CEO, nasty, sometimes, petty stuff.

Like I said, SALES, is what its all about.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Steve Jobs' official stance on the issue was entitled "Thoughts on Flash".

Is that unambiguous enough for you? No? How about one of the sentences from the first paragraph.

6. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Don't let piss poor journalists and faux news agencies and their crap headlines fool you.

Not only is the dispute just about Flash, it's only for show. Apple had to do something about the major criticism it was getting from the lack of Flash on the iPhone and iPhone type devices, and Adobe had to answer back with something before the mindless drones just nodded in agreement with Jobs.

In the end, the little dispute is really about marketing . . . related to the iPhone or to Flash products.

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

I don't know that that's the case; Apple is taking a gamble not doing Flash on the iPhoneOS platform, and has been pushed to publicly explain why. Adobe is, from a marketing standpoint, unhappy about the loss of a good chunk of sales and unnerved by the prospect that they might be completely losing their grip on a cash cow on devices that are becoming the future of computing (because if Apple succeeds in a big way without Flash it's only a matter of time before broad support for it wanes as alternate technologies that Adobe doesn't control supplant it).

That said, it's hardly a shock that Apple is pushing CS5--it's the new version of several popular professional tools for image, design, print, web, and video use, and one of the main reasons people buy MacBook Pros and Mac Pros. It's also FINALLY 64-bit capable on all of the above, which is for once a big deal to the market that actually uses the tools.

Why wouldn't they be, apart from silly inflammatory media headlines?

8. dreven79 macrumors member

dreven79

Its all about making money at the end of the day...