My Xbox 360 just got the Red light of death will Microsoft send me a new one?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Apr 24, 2011.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

My Xbox 360 just got the Red light of death will Microsoft send me a new one?

My Xbox has a manufacture date of 2005 so will Microsoft send me a new Slim or repair it?

I have had this Xbox for 5 years and now it decided to die.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

Yeah ,but I am willing to pay for it to be fixed.

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Just buy a new one ;) 5 years is a reasonable lifespan. If you fix it it might keep breaking down because of its old age and you'll end up spending more on repairs than just getting a new one.

5. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Out of experience. Microsoft sending a new one/repairing your one is only a temporary fix and if you have to pay for the repair, just get a brand new one which will have a warranty for this.

You can double check the xbox site to see if your console is still covered for red rings though. As mentioned earlier, it's probably out of warranty now though.

6. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

It may have changed but when i got my xbox repaired it cost $140 and if they can't fix it they send you a new one.

7. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

It hasn't. Mine currently has it and they want $150. I really don't want to shell out that much for something but it takes my mind off of stress for awhile. Not sure whether to trust these craigslist ads for a $40 reflow. Emailed one and he wrote back worse than a 5th grader...

8. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

http://www.gamerumors.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3

Id get a new one. The new slim models are much more resistant to the overheating. However, Microsoft WILL repair your Xbox, but you WILL have to pay for it. The cost of shipping and repair may equal close to a new slim model from Gamestop. (get a used one, cheaper!)

Also, you can sell the RROD Xbox for a few bucks to offset the cost of the new one.

9. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

10. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

Great.

Get a hard drive as soon as possible. Otherwise, you are handicapped.

11. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

Is it just me or is the video quality is much better with a good hdmi cable vs a madcatz vga cable, and the audio quality is better through the built in toslink vs the one on the madcatz?

12. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

Did you really just ask that?

13. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

Yep as my old xbox 360 was connected through a macatz vga and the audio through the madcatz toslink adapter.

14. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

I believe if you submit for service its $90 for whatever repair for out of warranty service.

15. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

the digital signal from hdmi will always be of higher Quality than VGA can be because of its analog nature. and as far as the toslink goes, it is light pulses, so the less conversions it has to go thru, the less the degradation. for best quality though, you should use HDMI for both audio and video.

16. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

waloshin you confuse me. In your blog you talk about the next graphic chip etc for the xbox and (try to) sound really knowledgeable on the subject and tech in general but then you don't know about rather basic information such as digital vs analog and xbox repair. :rolleyes:

17. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

I would also like to know why Microsoft got rid of the ground on the power cord? :confused: