Myst V Demo released for mac

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
OK, the fact that a Mac demo of Myst V comes out before any Windows demo is very surprising. UbiSoft had previously announced that Uru: Ages Beyond Myst was not going to be released for the Mac (I dunno how that product is going or whether it will ever be released because it wasn't going to be Mac-compatible).

So which is it, Ubisoft? Do you like Macs or not? :p

In any case, I'm glad there's a demo. Too bad my 3-year-old 800 MHz iMac G4 doesn't fit the minimum requirements.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
sethypoo said:
Cool! I remember this game from when I was young.
I remember it from I was not all that young! :eek:

I liked RealMYST because it was REAL 3D with full FPS-style freedom of movement. Looks like MYST V is the same way... so count me in!

I might pick up the "in between" MYSTs as well, though. Regardless of the technology used, I like the worlds and the gameplay style is a nice change.

iKnezek

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2005
North Texas
Didn't a demo come out a while ago?

I remember downloading a demo of a myst-type game that I thought was Myst V and while ago. It was really buggy and wouldn't even run, but I'm pretty sure it was Myst V. :confused:
Oh well, I guess I could be wrong.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
simX said:
UbiSoft had previously announced that Uru: Ages Beyond Myst was not going to be released for the Mac (I dunno how that product is going or whether it will ever be released because it wasn't going to be Mac-compatible).

So which is it, Ubisoft? Do you like Macs or not? :p
When Cyan licensed Havok, the Havok people told them it was cross-platform. Apparently Cyan was very mad when they discovered that they'd been lied to :mad: (they of course vowed to not use Havok again).

Edit: By the way, does anyone know of a mirror or BitTorrent link for the demo? ftp.ubi.com is slooooooow.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
iKnezek said:
I remember downloading a demo of a myst-type game that I thought was Myst V and while ago. It was really buggy and wouldn't even run, but I'm pretty sure it was Myst V. :confused:
Oh well, I guess I could be wrong.
I think it was Myst IV. I seem to recall that being a problematic demo. Myst V is very new.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Nermal said:
When Cyan licensed Havok, the Havok people told them it was cross-platform. Apparently Cyan was very mad when they discovered that they'd been lied to :mad: (they of course vowed to not use Havok again).

Edit: By the way, does anyone know of a mirror or BitTorrent link for the demo? ftp.ubi.com is slooooooow.
I'm getting 515KB/sec from the Ubi link.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
And I'm getting 9.

Edit: It's sped up to 51 KB/s now, an improvement but still much slower than BT.

Edit 2: I now have the game, can't figure out what to do though

link92

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
It downloaded at 220kb/s last night (GMT) for me...

The graphics blew me away, but I quickly got stuck :)

Screenshots (No spoilers)

Looks like my host is down... Probably be back up in a couple of minutes... :rolleyes:

hob

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
link92 said:
It downloaded at 220kb/s last night (GMT) for me...

The graphics blew me away, but I quickly got stuck :)

Screenshots (No spoilers)

Looks like my host is down... Probably be back up in a couple of minutes... :rolleyes:
What's your system?! My graphics card never seems to do its job properly! I've got a Dual-2GHz G5 with a 256MB ATi Raedon 9650... It was stutterring at native resolution (1680x1050)... and STILL didn't look as good as your screenshots!

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
This is bloody great and thanks for the screenshots link92

Ah, the original Myst. I remember playing that on my Performa days.

457MB download and here I am with dial-up. Guess I shall have to entertain myself with Myst III which I bought a long time ago for $10 until I get a chance to use some free Wi-fi at the library. I still have not finished Riven at all. The game would crash at a certain point in the game. I took it to a friends PMG4 and it ran perfectly. And, Myst IV demo would not even start-up at all.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Those are really cool pictures link92. I have an older version of Myst. Out of luck with this version, my Mac doesn't meet the system requirements.

link92

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
hob said:
What's your system?! My graphics card never seems to do its job properly! I've got a Dual-2GHz G5 with a 256MB ATi Raedon 9650... It was stutterring at native resolution (1680x1050)... and STILL didn't look as good as your screenshots!
Dual 2.5GHz G5, 4.5GB RAM, Nvidia 6800 Ultra DDL and 30" ACD HD with all the Myst V settings at the max (Res: 1600x1200, full AA, etc.).

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
Crashes on my iMac.

The demo is behaving like you say the demo for Myst IV was behaving; i.e., it's crashing on my iMac. Do you guys know if the Mac you play the demo on should really meet the minimum system requirements? Could it be that my 800MHz iMac G4 is just too slow to run the demo and it quits because of that very reason?

Very frustrating. I love the Myst series and was really looking forward to play this demo. The screenshots look absolutely stunning! No way I'm going to see such gorgeous graphics on my iMac with only a mere GeForce 2 with 32MB of VRAM, but I still really want to play it.

Any help here?

link92

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
Bengt77 said:
The demo is behaving like you say the demo for Myst IV was behaving; i.e., it's crashing on my iMac. Do you guys know if the Mac you play the demo on should really meet the minimum system requirements? Could it be that my 800MHz iMac G4 is just too slow to run the demo and it quits because of that very reason?

Very frustrating. I love the Myst series and was really looking forward to play this demo. The screenshots look absolutely stunning! No way I'm going to see such gorgeous graphics on my iMac with only a mere GeForce 2 with 32MB of VRAM, but I still really want to play it.

Any help here?
Requirements are 1GHz Processor :(

hob

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
link92 said:
Dual 2.5GHz G5, 4.5GB RAM, Nvidia 6800 Ultra DDL and 30" ACD HD with all the Myst V settings at the max (Res: 1600x1200, full AA, etc.).
RAM RAM RAM... Hob needs some RAM... Donations to the usual address please ;) :p

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Just finished it myself. Incredibly short. Did anyone find a pattern to the to the rotating symbol rocks that open the passages? There doesn't seem to be a key to them so I had to keep fiddling with them until they were right. Maybe that's something you will figure out later in the game.

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
Bengt77 said:

Any help here?
It's probably your graphics card that is not up to snuff. Despite the requirements being a 1 GHz G4 processor, my 800 MHz 17" G4 iMac plays the Myst V demo quite well. However, the difference seems to be that I have a GeForce 4MX with 32 MB of RAM, whereas you seemed to say you only have a GeForce 2MX. Unfortunately, you're probably not going to get any help out of UbiSoft given the minimum requirements.