Mysterious Fake Cellphone Towers Are Intercepting Calls All Over USA

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Solomani, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Errrm…. this sounds like the NSA's fingerprints all over it? (Or maybe a new Google pet project) :mad:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/mysterious-fake-cellphone-towers-intercepting-162645809.html

Seventeen fake cellphone towers were discovered across the U.S. last week, according to a report in Popular Science.

Rather than offering you cellphone service, the towers appear to be connecting to nearby phones, bypassing their encryption, and either tapping calls or reading texts.

Les Goldsmith, the CEO of ESD America, used ESD's CryptoPhone 500 to detect 17 bogus cellphone towers. ESD is a leading American defense and law enforcement technology provider based in Las Vegas.

2. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

The NSA wouldn't do this. They can get that themselves right from the carrier.

This is likely just criminals exploiting the awful, tragic state of security that is the cell phone.

3. Solomani thread starter macrumors 68030

Solomani

Directly though? I knew that the NSA could obtain this info from carriers and companies like Google/MS/Apple, but they would have to request (demand) it first, don't they?

4. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

6. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

Yep.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Room_641A

There may be other things in the Snowden docs, but I have not viewed them.

7. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Clustered around military bases?

That suggests, to me at least, that this is part of some Government-directed security program. They obviously don't want people on military bases to be running encrypted 4G phones, uploading all sorts of classified material like Chelsea Manning or Edward Snowden.

As noted earlier: The NSA doesn't need to do this to tap people's phones. And criminals probably wouldn't want to fill out the paperwork and leave the paper trail involved with actually erecting a tower. I suppose its possible that this is some deep, deep cover operation run by the Chinese army. But if so - its over.

The regular police already have Stingray and other sneaky technology, more effectively targeted at individual, known targets.

8. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

9. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire