Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fuzzy7slippers

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2002
Does anyone know what these mysterious slots numbered 1-4 are for on the new G5?

(I'm not talking about the PCI slots here - rather the giant open void to the left of them.)

Thanks!

Bigger Image (without circle)

g5_ports.jpg

RiseAgainst

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2003
Well.....

im not sure, but it looks as if the numbers (i cant even see them in the pic but im ussuming there near the center of the circle) corespong to the pci slots. The space could be for longer cards. Near the left of the circle it looks like there are slots that the plastic piece on a large pci card slides into.

But then again, I could be wrong.

TylerL

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
Full-length PCI cards fit into slots on the far-side of the computer's case for better stability and less Really Expensive Card Snappage.

All G4 towers have those slots (numbered on most of them as well).

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
yep, tyler got it. like the mac version of the ti 4600 is that long, its crazy and quite pointless if you ask me.

iJon

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Originally posted by iJon
yep, tyler got it. like the mac version of the ti 4600 is that long, its crazy and quite pointless if you ask me.

iJon
Is is "crazy and pointless" that vendors designed full-length cards, or that Apple designed its computers to accept full-length cards:confused:

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by MisterMe
Is is "crazy and pointless" that vendors designed full-length cards, or that Apple designed its computers to accept full-length cards:confused:
nvidia makes that card, not apple. i was workign on powermac that some bought that card and it went all the way to the back. and it was just blank circuit board. didnt have anything on it. looked like half way it was just a green peice of plastic. pc version doenst look like that.

iJon

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Anyone using an ICE render board will need the extra long slots. Also, HD cards for FCP will need the long slots, If I'm not mistaken.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.