Mysterious interest in politics

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Adam Warlock, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Adam Warlock macrumors regular

Adam Warlock

It is quite amazing to me the sheer number of people who as recently as three years ago had little to no interest in politics whatsoever now suddenly live and breathe the stuff daily. It's as if they've somehow spontaneously and simultaneously grown fascinated with the topic entirely of their own volition. That or perhaps, maybe, possibly have somehow been whipped into a frenzy by some outside source. Not sure which.

2. raqball, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019

raqball macrumors 68000

I'll take whipped into a frenzy for $200 Alex.

When the news and media constantly flip their wigs 24/7 and tell people there is a _insert_keyword_here in the White House of course people are going to react and get involved....

A short recap of MSM coverage. There is a _____ in the White House

-misogynist
    -racist
    -sexist
    -xenophobe
    -grand wizard
    -russian agent

Trump is not that far off when he says some in the media are true enemies of the state....

The good news is that aside from foaming at the mouth far lefties, most see past their rhetoric... They also see how petty they are when they clamber on about 2 scoops of ice-cream 24/7 for weeks........

3. Zenithal macrumors 604

People are interested in politics when it affects them.

4. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

As the middle class (which people associate themselves with even as they’ve been working class their whole lives) falls further into living on the financial cliff, they’re actually paying attention to how policy effects their lives. The formerly comfortable are now the afflicted, so they’re (finally) waking up to the 40 years of class war that has been waged on them regardless of the party in power.

The sensationalism of MSM reporting seems to be more of a diversion, channeling that energy into nonsense over tweets and hypocrisy (which is a feature, not a bug in the decisions of the elite), but it has the effect of drawing more eyes to the functions of this joke of a political system.

Basically the ruling class has punched down too long and too hard and people are starting to realize that *they* are in the line of fire as well rather than just the poor, whom previously they were fine just assigning moral failings to (instead of the systemic failures) and looking down upon.

5. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

I don’t think you can fairly criticize the mainstream media for sensationalizing what is, at its core, a sensational story. The United States elected a totally unqualified, failed TV game show host as president. I don’t find it particularly surprising that something so obscenely irrational piqued the interest of a large group of folks who had previously been pretty complacent about politics.

6. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    Sadly we haved moved from reporting to infotainment in the majority of MSM.

7. Glockworkorange macrumors 68000

Glockworkorange

The sort of "silent majority" was noticing this stuff in 2014-2015 (HELLO, University of Missouri, Ferguson and Baltimore), which is part of the reason people voted for Trump. NORMAL people are just tired of being lectured to and called racist and bigoted for wanting borders patrolled (and in some cases closed) and thinking there's just something a little strange about men thinking they can just turn into women and men into women, and then being told they're monsters for thinking it's strange.

People do care about the environment, but when people are telling children the world will end in 12 years and we have to pay billions and billions of dollars to "try" and prevent it while the biggest polluters in the world (hi, Chine and India!) don't have to do anything, people wonder if something perhaps political is going on. They don't like being called "deniers" for raising legitimate questions (and people do realize being called "deniers" comes with a whiff of being compared to a "Holocaust denier").

The mainstream media is so out of touch with voters. Their behavior is going to push him to a second term. We're now at the point where you absolutely cannot make fun of Nancy Pelosi on the internet and being mean to people over the internet will get you doxed and will negatively impact your ability to make a living. Why, it's almost like the Democratic Party, mainstream media and activists (without jobs, by the way) are trying to scare people into silence, lest there by a repeat of 2016.

Biden. Lol. Sure.

8. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Shocking I tell you.

9. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Ah, you seem to be under the impression that I’m referring to the US under Trump, when I’m actually describing the last 10+ years of America. Nonsense makes it into the news in place of actually important stories, that’s what I’m getting at in a nutshell.

10. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    It seemed to start with NBC and spread like a pathogen from there. :(

11. Joe h macrumors regular

Facebook, now everyone and their mothers have a place share similar bat **** crazy ideas. Ten years ago I didn’t know or cared to know what my neighbors or former classmates, or distant relatives thought, now I get to know whether I want to or not.

12. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Why don’t you tell us which of these he is not? It’s not MSM that is making this **** up, it is your Grand Poobah, his actions every damned day. Btw, you forgot another undisputed descriptor, pathological liar.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 9, 2019 at 3:37 AM ---
    You can thank the disaster in the White House. That tends to wake people up.

13. RichardMZhlubb, Jun 9, 2019 at 4:47 AM
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019 at 5:02 AM

RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

What is this “NORMAL people” BS? A significant majority of voters voted against Trump in 2016 and he has never had majority support. The majority of voters also oppose his immigration policies and support action on climate change. The people you describe are not the “NORMAL people,” they are the people afraid of the future and fixated on a return to Trump’s warped image of an America that never actually existed.

(And, your Nancy Pelosi comment is simply delusional. Please give me a single example of someone whose “ability to make a living” was threatened by making fun of her. Just one example will do.)

14. jerwin macrumors 68020

sounds like you want this to happen. So what's the problem?

15. Glockworkorange macrumors 68000

Glockworkorange

Lol. Please continue the extremism.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 9, 2019 at 5:20 AM ---
    I'm just observing.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 9, 2019 at 5:23 AM ---
    Also---re: people not being able to make money--I was referring to the Carlos Maza/Vox thing, where innocent YouTubers got swept up in the hysteria and were demonetized. Re: Nancy Pelosi--the guy who sped up the video was doxed, embarrassed and humiliated. How dare anyone make fun of her!!!

16. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

You’re confused. Mainstream positions, like I posted, cannot be extremism, by definition.

I assumed that’s where you would go. It is beyond absurd to argue that deliberately falsifying information to make her look bad is simply “making fun” of her. Come on, give me a break.

17. jerwin macrumors 68020

The first rule of politics is that everything is Perfectly balanced, as all things should be. There are no rights, and no wrongs. To argue that political opinions are resolvable through an external reference frame betrays an unconscionable and corrupting bias.

Therefore, there must be a figure as crude, as manipulative, and as disruptive to the political norms as Trump is, for to judge Trump by historical standards would submit to the tyranny of bias. That figure cannot be anyone other that Nancy Pelosi, and she must be reimagined according to our framework.

18. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

when the lying fake MSM goes on a 2 year tangent about the President being a treasonous Russian agent... yeah, interest is going to spike.

19. jerwin macrumors 68020

well, technically, the United States is not at war with anyone, so treason cannot exist in any form whatsoever.

20. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

How exactly is it a “tangent” when the investigation uncovered the facts that (1) the Russians implemented numerous criminal conspiracies to help Trump, (2) Trump and his campaign knew about the crimes and knowingly accepted and utilized the criminal support, (3) Trump and his top advisors lied repeatedly about their knowledge of the crimes and their contacts with the Russians, and (4) Trump tried repeatedly to interfere with the investigations of all of this. It’s a scandal of historic proportions, but you guys kept disingenuously pretending that there’s nothing to see because Mueller didn’t find 4K video of Trump and Putin making a blood oath.

21. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Keep following along... this is far from over and the truth will prevail.

The surviving MSM will have no choice but cover what's coming.

The fake MSM reporting of the President in London was disgusting.

22. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I had to give up the news when Trump became president. Before/after his candidacy the media was 99%: "He's done for sure now, really, we're serious this time... yeah seriously... we're not joking... really..." for months and months and months.

As far as politics - before Trump, I noticed people were a lot more reserved when it came to politics, a lot more calm. Now? I've NEVER had someone claim I was a racist, misogynist, and sexist in all my years of life (my wife is not white). I've been screamed at on college campuses because I didn't show support for anti-trump protestors - and physically threatened.

People feel that Trump is "literally worse than Hitler" .... can't count how many times I've been told that.

I don't see this whole recent political uptick in interest as a good thing, at least from my perspective. Doesn't help that the media spends most of its time trying to vilify the current president.

During my work travels last year, in Dallas Texas - that big hub of an airport - CNN is always on the TVs and there was always .... BREAKING NEWS... Trump is DONE FOR SURE NOW - it was funny because everyone in the airport terminal would laugh, groan. They made statements how Trump could sneeze and CNN would make it BREAKING NEWS. They couldn't believe the bias. CNN has helped Trump a lot.

I realize people hate Trump with a passion, more than they hate disease, cancer, pollution, hunger, etc...

Don't know how some of you have the energy to debate politics all the time. I'm too old and fat for that. :(

There is no more freedom of speech like we used to know.

23. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

The truth is very conveniently summarized in a 448 page report produced by Robert Mueller and his team. It’s available on line and in bookstores across the country. It’s a bit of a dry read, but it lays out Trump’s corruption and abuses of power in excruciating detail. I can provide a link if you’re interested.

24. raqball macrumors 68000

Their (D) elected officials and the media arms of the (D) party have whipped and brainwashed many into a frenzy.... Some may never recover and might never make it back to reality...

I guess that's good news for emotional support squirrels along with coloring book and crayon sales.. :p :eek:

Their keywords get used so often now, for everything and anything they are loosing all reasonable meaning.

I view it as entertainment as it's hard to take the sky screamers and keyword tossing out peeps seriously...

25. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

The Mueller report used the same tactics the fake news MSM uses... how fitting.

"Deceptive Edits Found In Mueller Report"
    https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-06-01/its-all-fraud-deceptive-edits-found-mueller-report

The only truth about the Mueller report that matters... the Trump Administration did not collude with Russia on the 2016 Election.

just like the fake MSM told you Trump never had a chance to beat Hillary in 2016... they also told you Trump was a Russian asset and Mueller was going to prove it.

The muh Mueller report failed.