Mystery solved-why a lot of early online orders still have not been processed

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thepowersin1, Mar 13, 2011.

1. thepowersin1 macrumors newbie

I ordered my ipad 2 within minutes of the online site going live as many people did. My order still has not been touched...shows "not shipped". I was perplexed by all the posts by people who ordered 4-6 hours after me (even multiple ipads with engraving) and have already received shipment notifications. I tried to think what may have been different about my order... On a hunch I called Apple customer service and asked if if were give any preferential treatment to orders placed by existing apple customers, and was a bit surprised that the girl said they were!

In a nut shell what that means is if you (like me) placed your ipad order through the Apple site as a "guest", instead of logging in with your Apple acct your order automatically went to the bottom of the stack and wont be processed until all of what Apple views are it's "existing customers" have been processed and shipped. It was a costly mistake that will likely delay me getting my ipad for days to over a week. I only ordered as a "guest" because I didnt know my Apple account ID since my wife had created the acct. I had not thought that it would make a difference in how my order was handled... bummer. :(

2. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

I highly doubt that is the case......

The only difference b/t guest and a user is the ability to log in via email and look at all your orders..

3. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Not really solved unless an Apple exec says anything.

4. pintnight macrumors 6502

That is not the case. I ordered with my apple account and I'm still waiting for my iPad 2 64GB Black get shipped. I ordered mine at Mar 11, 12:58 AM PDT.

My smart cover just got shipped today at about 3:15 AM PDT.

5. 9OOYO macrumors regular

Don't Think So

I am a regular Apple user with a login and I ordered mine at 3:46am Eastern. My order is still showing as "Not shipped yet"......

:(

6. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

What?!? You got a rep on the phone that was grasping for straws and you gave her a perfect opening. That doesn't happen.

7. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

It just seems to me that they've mainly focused on making and shipping 16 and 32gb Wifi models as those ordered around the 1am pst start time seem to be what's shipping (including mine), while 64gb and 3G models ordered around the sametime haven't shipped.

8. 9OOYO macrumors regular

Shipping

I've worked with shipping warehouses in the past and might be able to shed some light.

The chance of a warehouse shipping orders literally in the order came in is 0. This is b/c they typically line up all of one type first and pull all of the orders for that.

Ex: 16GB Wifi - pull all orders through a period of time and ship them all.
    Then pull all 32GB wifi (or 64 or whatever) and ship them all.

If they had to go to a slab of ipads each time to process the orders, it would mean looking at each order individually, which would slow down the process. So they just take slabs of one type, import all of the orders for that type, print labels and ship. Doing otherwise would take much longer.

It seems to me like the pattern of shipping is that all confirmations have been wifi.

9. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

Your missing one important part of the process...

they have a separate facility for registered users and guest!

10. thepowersin1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so maybe "mystery solved" was a bad choice for the subject line... I apologize. I just wanted to pass on what i was told. I cant see any other reason for the delays for the early orders. There obviously not shipping orders first come first serve. They have to be sorting the orders for processing in some other way to explain this...

11. 9OOYO macrumors regular

I don't think so. I am a registered user with registered Macbook Pro plan on my account and I ordered at 3:46 am Eastern (12:46 Pacific) and I have no gotten shipping confirmation yet. I used my registered account to place my order.

12. 9OOYO macrumors regular

Got it now...LOL...sarcasm.

13. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Nope, I'm an existing Apple customer and ordered the 32GB Wi-Fi only version at 1:05am PST. I'm still waiting for a shipment e-mail. In fact, I just got my confirmation order e-mail not 2 hours ago!

14. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

lol!

15. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

He didn't say that all wifi orders had shipped, just that it seems that all have shipped have been wifi.

i.e., no (or very few) 3g models have shipped yet.

16. 9OOYO macrumors regular

Mystery

To the OP - were they able to say they got yours to ship sooner?

17. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

I ordered at 3:50am eastern time and my 64 at&t hasn't shipped but come on everybody the thing said 3 to 5 business days shipping. It's been 1 business day so far. Monday will be 2 business days. Chill out. I also am a regular customer with an apple id so give them some time. It will come.

This always happens when they start taking orders for something on a Friday. People have way to long to look for it to be shipped when they have to wait for the weekend to end.

18. thepowersin1 thread starter macrumors newbie

This makes sense, but they would have to be shipping them in the order they came in by model type then...or some someone who placed an order 2 hours ago for the model I want could get it before me...

19. Fixmy59bug macrumors newbie

New apple customer. No account. Ordered as guest.

Black 64gb Wi-Fi. No engraving, no accessories, no 3G.

Shipped Yesterday.

[​IMG]

20. 9OOYO macrumors regular

They work in batches...so they pull all orders for first batch, move to 2nd batch (other model - meaning the new orders for the first batch start waiting again).

It's not first in first out but its faster than pulling each order individually.

21. IrishTiger macrumors regular

Well guest or not... in the future they need to put a check box in the ordering field asking if you're a macrumors member or not. That should make all the difference in the world! :cool::p

22. FireSokar macrumors regular

Quit stressing over it. I ordered two and the black 32GB WIFI showed the next night it was shipped, but the white 64GB WIFI did not. Woke up this morning to see a fedex tracking number for the white showing it'll arrive on Wednesday (one day prior to the black). You will not be bumped to the bottom of the list. If anything you will be bumped to the bottom of the list of people who ordered with-in the same time frame as you, only because Apple may have problems verifying your CC.

23. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

That's rubbish. I ordered thru the apple store app and still haven't received shipping notification. You should know by now that calling apple will illicit MULTIPLE different answers. The so-called geniuses do not ever have consistent answers. Sometimes I think that apple must tell them to make up whatever bullshiit they want.

24. jettie1767 macrumors 6502

Sorry, the op is wrong. It's not based on whether you have an Apple account or not.

25. Zero Amada macrumors newbie

Easy:), guess you just offer an excuse for the girl to explain the delay away...

I happen to be an existing apple customer but I am not offered any special treatment to my order. I made my order on 8 Mar, but the status is still processing items... (and that's also why google bring me here...):mad::apple: