Myths about the America: Political, Social, Legal

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by halfprep455, Apr 9, 2007.

1. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

Here are myths about the United States: our laws, politics, and media.

Myth #1

M: The war on drugs has lowered the usage of drugs in this country.

A: The war on drugs has done nothing but wast billions of dollors, give rise to drug lords and gangs, over crowd our prisons, and hamper our judicial system.

The war on drugs has cost the federal government $5.5 billion dollors. It has also cost the state gvernments an additional 8.5 billion dollors. That is a total of 14 billion dollors for JUST THIS YEAR! That is almost $600 per second! Couldn't we have spent the money on other things such as tax cuts, homeland security, curing aids or cancer, helping world hunger? Facts from http://www.drugsense.org/wodclock.htm

There have been 437,383 people arrested this year alone in the US on drug charges. There were 1,678,192 people arrested on drug charges in 2003. There have been 217,797 people arrested this year alone for marijuana. If drugs were de- criminalized, wouldn't there be 437,383 more prison cells avaiable for real criminals such as murders, rapists, theives? Wouldn't there have been more court time for trialing people convicted of victom crimes? Not to mention it costs on average $30,000 per year to keep a person in prison and that is a conservitive estimate! Not to mntion that crimializing drugs has created a black market for drugs. If the government were to sell and regulate drugs, the sales of just marijuana alone would be enough to put a huge dent in our ever increasing federal deficit. Facts from http://www.drugsense.org/wodclock.htm

I bet you saying "strict drug penalties deter people from using drugs". If you are saying that, you are most certinly wrong and you are being fed standard government propaganda. In 1972, the number of seniors who tried marijuana was about 40% In 2005, 44.8% of High School seniors have used marijuana. Not only is that a 4% increase, but the "War on Drugs" began in 1972. Ever sience the war on drugs has began, the total numer of people on drugs has actually increased by 20%! These facts are from the DEA themselves! There is even proven research that says all of the anti drug commercials put on TV are completly ignored by 90% of teens! In 2003, ZERO people died as a result of an overdose on marijuana. During the crack epidemic of the 1980's there were 239 deaths due to crack/cocaine between 1971 and 1987. In 2003 alone, there were 12,360 deaths due just to alcohol poising and liver failure! In 2006, there were over 100,000 deaths due to tobacco use! All of this infromation is fron NIH itself! The two perfectly legal drugs are far more dangerous then marijuana. Sicam, the Scienceblog, Christian Science monitor, CDC, NIH, G.W. University Medical school all found NO LINK WHAT SO EVER between lung cancer and marijuana!

Isn't it peoples right to put what ever they want to in their body as long as they do not harm others? Is it the governments business to tell people what they can and cannot do in their own private lives that does not affect others lives? BTW: I have never once in my life tried Marijuana, Cocaine, Heroine, LSD, ext. I do not even smoke. However, it is not my right to tell people what they can and cannot do in their own private lives!

********************************************************************************
    Myth #2

M1: Prostution should remain illegal because women who go into prostution well end up as sex slaves who have no rights and will end up diseased!

A: You are reading more government and moralist BS.

Legalized prostution would be a great source of revenue for a city, state, or even the federal government! In every nation where prostution is regulated, there are no outbreaks of STD's the woman and mans safety is insured, the businesses our legitimate, the governments make tax revenue off of it. For example, in the Netherlands, where prostution is legal, there have never been any reported outbreaks of STD's, No woman has ever been reported being raped, no one has been shucken down for money. The Brothels are fullt legitimate businesses regulated by the health department and the safety of the Prostute and the client is legally insured. For example, a prostute who gets raped in American can not or will not out of fear of being arrested herself, will go to the police to report being raped! There goes one more rapist who is still on the streets! Prostution can and is in some places fully legal, legitimate, safe, publicaly traded, and profitable business! Does this look like the women are being exploited by pimps or are kept in basements by their pimps? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fybNYnaBTP0

********************************************************************************
    Myth #3

M3: Most Lawsuits against businesses help the consumerand the workers.

A: The consumer and worker pays the legal bills of those needless lawsuits!

A few years ago, Sears was being sued by a feminist organization for not putting enough female emploies in the tool and hardware section. First off, that is a male oriented section where male costumers usually shop. That is not sexism, thats just reality. The organization sued for $12 million in damages! The court battle lasted for over 3 years and cost Sears $40 million in legal bills. Sears did eventually win. Guess what Sears does, they raise the prices on their goods and services and the costumer pays it!

I will post more myths later. I wrote all of those myths, did all the research and everything. Im on an 8hr flight back from Dubai and Im in 1st class and theres internet access. Im really bored.

2. grafikat macrumors 6502a

grafikat

Forget voting for Obama...you need to look at the Libertarian party. Obama won't lift government restrictions...the Dems are the party of "Government knows best'

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

4. halfprep455 thread starter macrumors regular

halfprep455

B/C he is the most socially libreal out of all of the canidates. I would most deffinitly vote libertarian if they were more influncial and has a strong canidate out there.

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Um, I've NEVER heard any of those "myths", nor have any of my professional or social acquaintances (from all reasoned POVs). Could those be as fabricated as the "truths" that purport to dismiss them?

I just LOVE pamphlet intellectuals...

"I'm sorry, that's not the correct answer. Try again."

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Dennis kucinich is far more liberal then Obama..but I don't think he will win.

As for voting Libertarian, you should lead by example, but personal I like you voting for Obama, but if he wins none of those things will happen.

So its a win-win

7. halfprep455 thread starter macrumors regular

halfprep455

I personally would love to see Kucinich as president. Joe Biden wouldnt be bad either.

8. RojoLeo macrumors 6502

You realize that tort reform is largely a Republican debate point right? Especially if the ACLU is behind the lawsuit.

9. halfprep455 thread starter macrumors regular

halfprep455

I do realize that trot reform is mostly a Republican debate point. I do agree with the Republicans on this one. There are some issues that I agree on with the Republican party. I think a lot of these BS lawsuits drive up the cost of goods and services. Im sick of people suing for the dumbest reasons. save lawsuits for people who are actually injured or hurt!

10. dylan macrumors 6502

I've got one.

Myth #4

M4: The Federal Reserve is federal and helps the economy.

A: This one is easy enough to 'bust' on your own and I'd like to hear people's opinions.

If your lazy watch this video.

"The Money Masters" is much more thorough, if you can find both halves.

11. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Umm, it isn't lawsuits driving up the costs of goods. It is greedy CEO's that want tens of millions of dollars as payouts for being really bad at their job. If you actually believe that it's lawsuits, you're eating the BS company line that large multinationals feed you.

12. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

It's both, but despite the big numbers you think you see for CEO salaries and bonuses, they are small percentages of the bottom line whereas the payouts on lawsuits are very large.

13. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Care to provide some statistics?

14. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Then how come the tort reform they've already done isn't lowering costs, but CEOs salaries are still sky high? Weren't you mad that the guy from Ford got a huge payoff for a couple of months of hemorrhaging company money and laying off how many people? How about oil company profits and the huge salaries of their CEOs? Tort reform is a tiny, tiny part of it, mostly hurting the bottom line of insurance companies, who are still raising rates even when it's enacted.

And yeah, Obama isn't as liberal as most people think he is. Sometimes in a good way. Sometimes not. I don't know why people don't seem to know anything about him, but for some reason, most don't seem to care.

16. RojoLeo macrumors 6502

Not stating my opinion for or against tort reform, but for the record - tort reform wouldn't lower costs of goods and services, it would keep them the same, preventing increase due to frivolous lawsuits. At least, that's the theory behind tort reform.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Tell that to my insurance bill that just went up. ;)