MyWi On Demand! wont switch back to my home Wifi...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by vertifly, Mar 16, 2011.

1. vertifly macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Yesterday I upgraded from MyWi 3 to 4.5 strickly for the performance upgrade.
    Thought I'd give the OnDemand trial a shot to see how well it works, seeing I only ever use MyWi with my iPad.

Works great! except for one, medium sized issue...

When I walk back into my WiFi enviornment here at home, I always need to go back into wireless settings and click my homes SSID, the iPad wont automatically switch back to WiFi after a long day of being tethered to my phone.

Walking OUT of my WiFi coverage zone results in OnDemand working exactly as advertised:
    When you leave your WiFi connection at home and you’re using the iPad, the iPad will connect automatically

However, when I'm at home, my iPhone picks up my Wifi automatically as it should... but when i use my ipad, it always tethers back to the phone instead of using my home WiFi...

So my question is.... is this behaviour normal? I had THOUGHT I read that it should seamlessly transition between the two depending on if there is a usable SSID in reach, obviously using the wifi over the tethering option.

So I'm thinking the ipads inability to do this may have something to do with OnDemand actually using bluetooth and not wifi tethering, but it still seems like switching back to available wifi is a simple enough feature to have working..

If I cant get this working, I'll probably opt out of On Demand and just use MyWi 4.5 like i was using 3, except over Bluetooth instead of wifi i guess since its better on battery...

Having to manually select my home wireless SSID every time I step through the door is quite annoying and defeats the whole purpose of On Demand in my oppinion.

2. vertifly thread starter macrumors newbie

also, when my ipad is tethered to my iphone, but my iphone is connected to my wifi, is it essentially passing through my phone to my ipad, or is it still using the phones 3g antenna?

i guess if my phone is acitng as a switch/passthrough of my wifi, its not ALL bad... but it would still be better i think to have both connecting to my wifi router instead of one connecting through the other?

btw my iphone 3GS is firmware 3.1.3 and my ipad is 4.3

ps. tethered jailbreaks suck

3. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

I was afraid that might be the case, and if true it's unfortunate. I would think that if your iPad enters a "known" wifi hotspot, it should disconnect from On Demand automatically. I would expect you should have to connect manually if you entered a new hotspot that has never been connected to.

Maybe an update is in the future. I hope so!

4. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

It is using your 3G connection.

5. vertifly thread starter macrumors newbie

well that sucks. had a feeling that was the case.... didnt think the wifi radios in iphones could act as a "bridge" but it wasnt impossible i suppose..

well im not sure what to do now, looks like ill be opting out of On Demand then when the trial is up.

i knew the app was too good to b true, i guess when you pay for something you expect it to work ideally.

6. shotts56 macrumors 6502

I agree, I've just experienced the same thing. What a load of nonsense that if you install MyWi On Demand, you can't use iPad with your home wifi anymore. It automatically defaults to the iPhone tether. To get it to connect to your home wifi, you have to go into MyWi to change the settings ... thus defeating the whole point of MyWi On Demand.

Seriously, did they not think this through?

7. mantic macrumors 6502a