N.C. Republicans push same-sex marriage ban

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Aug 31, 2011.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Seriously? There really aren't more pressing issues in N.C. right now?

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/08/...ans-push-same-sex-marriage.html#ixzz1Wc3h3WUd

2. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

They may as well grasp at straws while they still can. SCOTUS will straighten this out pretty soon. No pun intended.

Also, David Parker is correct. It will keep their economy down. The marriage business in NY has been BOOMING.

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

You would think they have more pressing matters in the aftermath of the hurricane. Oh wait, I forgot- we caused the hurricane. :rolleyes:

4. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

If this does get put to a vote, let's hope the NC voters will step up to the plate and do what's right.

I'd love to start a trend where they create a constitutional amendment banning divorce. Because allowing divorce de-legitimizes marriage a heck of a lot more than same sex marriage ever will. Stupid hypocrites.

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

No no, get with the program. ;)
    The hurricane was a message from god to cut spending…

We gays do earthquakes…

:p

6. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Quite. They need to stop goofing off and get on with their work.

7. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

You know, i usually keep optimistic, but i don't have much faith in that happening. If the voters in California, one of the more liberal states, passed prop 8, i don't think a southern state has any chance of the voters striking this amendment down. If they do ill be pleasantly surprised and take back all the things i ever said about the south.

8. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

You are harsh on the south. :D

As a Yankee living in Houston, I feel some of what you are saying...though the voters here did elect a lesbian Mayor..but the election of the Governor we currently have takes away all of the good karma points.

Frankly, I don't have much hope for it happening in North Carolina either. The problem with these types of votes is that the people that hate us and gay people are the only ones who vote on these things. We need all of those Southerners who argue when we make fun of them to step up, show up, and vote on our behalves.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Oh well, another state where they will allow civil rights to be denied to gays. I assure you, the people of NC will keep it a no homo state. :rolleyes:

10. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I had no plans of visiting, but if this passes, it won't even be an option. Just one more state to fly over.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahh, Republicans. They think the government is over-involved in people's lives and yet want to progressively increase its participation in the marriage process. God bless them. :p

12. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Careful- kavika will accuse you of generalizing. ;)

13. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Where is kavika btw? I would love to hear his/her stance on this.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Ah yes, the "protect the children" nonsense. Who keeps electing Helen Lovejoy to public office? :rolleyes:

By the way, it's legal to marry your first cousin in North Carolina. As long as your first cousin is the opposite gender.

15. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

K let me use the same logic: if homosexuals are stripped of their rights African Americans and women will be next. It's the next logical step.

16. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Oh, no no no no NO NO NO NO... his stance may be very, very different from what he actually votes to support. His stance is window dressing. You support who you vote for. Either you vote for candidates who support civil rights or you do not.

THERE IS NO OPTION that includes voting for people who are taking away constitutional rights, even though you are personally against it. If so, DON'T VOTE FOR THEM!

17. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Well no, of course not. They want to get this passed so God doesn't send anymore hurricanes their way...lol.

The ignorance in those quoted statements are truly astounding:

Really? Where? Do heterosexuals in Canada consider their marriages less legitimate? I don't think so.

Gays can't (legitimately) change their sexuality either. If sexuality is that changeable, then that means that Stam could be happy having sex with and marrying another man. They never seem to consider that consequence of their statement for some reason. What goes around comes around!!!

Protects them from WHAT exactly? The truth????

18. Andeavor macrumors 6502

I ****ing hate this analogy. There is zero connection between the two, but somehow they've burnt it into their brains.

Is it even worth arguing against that anymore?

19. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I'm so incredibly sick of this s***.

Somehow gay marriage is going to "weaken" straight marriage - what complete horse crap.

I was going to make a point-by-point comment (as MadeTheSwitch did so well), but I just became so angry and frustrated at the stupidity I couldn't do it.

I will say, if those gay people would stop recruiting sweet little straight kids - the whole problem would go away. Since gays can't have children, they would just die out. :rolleyes: ;)

I didn't choose to be straight - I discovered that I was straight - at an early age I discovered I liked girls (I was warped in childhood). This crap about "choice" over self-discovery has to go - even the idiots in my field have figured that one out!

Oh, well, sorry for the this scattered rant. Thanks for your patience - just had to vent. :eek: :p

20. 184550 Guest

As a resident of NC, I can guarantee you such a vote would fail.

We have our crazies like every other state but I cannot think of a single person that I know personally who would vote in favor of such an amendment.

If it does come to a vote, I know I'll be voting against it.

I've got to say though, I had no idea there were so many NC experts on MR. :eek:

21. SuperJudge macrumors 6502

SuperJudge

Quoted for truth.

I wish I could say that I was horribly surprised that our new Republican Overlords are up to this, but that would be a lie. Considering they haven't done ****-all but slash the state budget, pass a BS new abortion law, and attempt to legalize natural gas fracking, this is about par for the course.

Considering that a North Carolina state constitutional amendment requires affirmation from 3/5 of both the general assembly and the state senate as well as a majority of the popular vote to pass, I'd say that the chances of this becoming law are bordering on slim to none since almost nothing is passing our state legislature by such a wide margin these days.

22. 184550 Guest

Exactly.

The 'Charlotte Observer' has run a couple of articles on the issue. Here's a recent one:

House GOP Press NC Gay Marriage Amendment

But I guess that kind of thing doesn't sit well with those who would rather stereotype 'The South' and move on. :rolleyes:

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Are these the same North Carolinians who elected Jesse Helms - 5 times?

24. 184550 Guest

I'm not really sure what you hoped to illustrate with that.

I could choose any US state and insert an *******s name and ask how that state voted him/ her in X number of times.

25. MorphingDragon, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2011

MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

So God does hurricanes, gays do earthquakes.

What about the rest of the sexual spectrum. Bi, Tran, Pan?

Do Bis make earthquakes and hurricanes appear from cracks in the ground caused by the earthquake?