N.C votes to insert constitutional amendment defining marriage as a man and a woman

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by quagmire, May 8, 2012.

1. quagmire, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 8, 2012

quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Not surprised, but still disappointed. I find the bold lettering to be the biggest offense of them all. Just as long as they can get an amendment passed, they can take away civil rights without it going to court to be found constitutional or not..... :roll eyes: And it's further proof why religion needs to stay out of government.....

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/08/politics/north-carolina-marriage/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

2. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Is anyone honestly surprised? I mean, we're talking about the south here.

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

The supreme court really needs to take up this matter and then rule that banning gay marriage is unconstitutional. That would force all these states going against to blow it out their rear. There is nothing they can do to stop it then but we all knew that it was not going to change until that happens.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Unluckily ultra conservative South will have stuff like this.

On a side note, I also read that Democrats never let the amendment pass to the ballot, Republicans are about to feel a backlash now...

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Agreed. Everyone in NC who voted in favor of the ban should be ashamed of themselves. They're disgusting people.

6. tktaylor1, May 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2012

tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

I still don't understand why this is an issue anymore.

“Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.” -Abraham Lincoln

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Divorce should also be illegal then and cheating punishable by death.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

These are the last dying gasps of a mindset that is clearly on its way out.

Be patient.

This will all be over very soon.

9. leekohler, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 8, 2012

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep- I figured as much. No surprise here.

Really? How do you figure? It doesn't look so great from where I'm sitting. And what do you tell people who this directly affects now? The entire South has now declared they're anti-equal rights. When is this going to go to the Supreme court?

For all of you from the South who keep saying, "Oh, it's not so bad down here", guess what? It is bad. It's very bad. Do something about it.

10. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Funny how she thinks you can be "pro" something by restricting access to it. That sounds pretty anti-marriage from where I'm sitting.

It also strikes me as funny that activist is a dirty word to these people when it comes to someone on the other side of the aisle, yet they have no problem enshrining their religious beliefs into secular government laws. Talk about activist!!!

11. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Biggest bunch of hypocrites, they claim that they can't allow it "because the bible says so". Yet you can guarantee they don't live their life by the bible, nobody does, you pick and choose parts you agree with, and follow them.

Yet they condemn other people who have picked different parts to follow. Decisions on modern life should not be dictated by the words of a two thousand year old book.

12. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Christians did not create and do not own the concept or definition of marriage. Separation of church and state includes America's popular religion. It is not the government's job to define and preserve religious marriage.

"One nation, Under God with liberty and justice for all." ... unless you're not a believer, then to hell with your rights.

This is the exact sort of thing the separation of church should be preventing. Religion (of any kind) has no business in government.

Furthermore, I don't see how anyone [who isn't an illogical, hypocritical bigot] can blather on about the THE GAYS RUINING THE SANCTITY OF MARRIAGE when we have the likes of Kim Kardashian and Britney Spears flaunting their sham marriages. Their pitiful pairings didn't affect my own marriage so why all the panic over what two loving people do in order to have the same rights?

A great deal of people need to learn how to mind their own business.

13. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

When I read of things like this, I think, only in America. Then I think how good it is to live down here in New Zealand. Then an aspiring politician comes along that would dearly love to hop into bed with our National government as a coalition partner. However Colin Craig the Conservative Party leader thinks that the NZ female is too promiscuous and do not deserve free contraception as the government recently proposed. What a douche bag. He also closes his company meetings with a 'short prayer' So it seems that we have them here as well.

KGB:rolleyes:

14. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I am frankly ashamed of this. It's just discrimination. When will these people learn that this amendment is clearly unconstitutional? There is a clear separation of church and state in our constitution and this means that the government cannot give special preference to one religion. And more importantly, don't they see how inappropriate and offensive it actually is to control someone's life like that?

Seriously, I think the Supreme Court+Congress should be doing more to prevent stuff like this. Controlling marriage isn't what government is supposed to be doing. Sure, they will think Obamacare is unconstitutional but not ridiculous things like this.

These people don't seem to get that it isn't the person's choice. They were born this way. Frankly, I don't really care about choices and what not. If you want to choose homosexuality, then great! If you want to be straight, then great! Change your mind, great! People should be allowed to marry who they love. That's what love is.

15. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    What's interesting is that they are the 30th state to do this while national polls show a majority of Americans (by a very slim margin, about half) support same-sex marriage. I guess it's probably because the states that have not passed such amendments, like New York, have much larger populations.

In some ways I think it's odd that a state like North Carolina re-illegalizes same-sex marriage, but on the other hand, it could be a good sign that they feel they have to play defense on this issue.

By the way, to the person who said what else would you expect in the South, I am proud to say that my state, Virginia, voted for Obama in 2008. Although, we also passed one of these same constitutional amendments. There are progressives in the South. Virginia will be a really interesting state in the next election. My gut is that it will go to the Republicans, but I'm hoping we can eek out another win. But my gut is that Obama will win the national election, so I'm not worried yet.

16. 184550 Guest

When you make blanket statements like this, you're just as ignorant as those in our state who voted for this amendment.

17. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

This makes me ashamed of being American.

I mean, there's really nothing else going on in the country that needs our attention? Is the thought that if we could just get all these so-called moral issues worked out, then all the public health, economic, and environmental issues will take care of themselves? :rolleyes:

18. Happybunny, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012

Happybunny macrumors 68000

Why does this not surprise me.

John Edwards was from NC, a shining example of christian marriage vows. :rolleyes:

19. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

The only difference is that he isn't trying to pass a law that would deny a specific population their rights. And according to these numbers 61% of the state is ignorant. Stay classy North Carolina.

You live in North Carolina, correct? How are you helping to stop ***** like this from getting passed?

And seriously, when are these ignorant , backwards states going to start outlawing divorce?? As iBlue said, how come Kim Kardashian is allowed to get married multiple times (one shorter than the other) but not allowing Gays to marry is "protecting families".

I said this when California voted against Gay Marriage - I wonder how many of those 61% have been divorced? If these laws are in place to "protect" marriage, I don't believe we should allow those who have been divorced to have a say.

20. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

There has to be a federal law that legalizes gay marriage, period. **** those rednecks in the South, they'll have to deal with it just like they had to deal with the abolition of slavery and civil rights.

21. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

This is a prime example of the majority voting on the rights of a minority. Imagine if there was a vote to take some right away from blacks. I'm pretty sure there are states in which that would pass too. The supreme court needs to step in here. Enough is enough.

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Let's hear from Foamy The Squirrel* on the subject.

*Some swearing, but nothing over-the-top, given the subject matter.