N.J. family: Facebook photo of boy holding gun brought social workers to home

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MuddyPaws1, Mar 20, 2013.

1. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

And so it starts. This is the kind of stuff that pro-second amendment folks are worried about.

Pro or anti gun, this is wrong. This family was doing nothing illegal and there is no child abuse going on.

Hysteria. Where in that pic is there abuse or neglect?

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/03/nj_family_facebook_photo_of_bo.html

[​IMG]

----------

I guess i'll be next.:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

"In this case, the family believes someone called New Jersey's anonymous child abuse hot line."

"The agents and the police officers left, and nothing has happened since, he said."

You might want to blame the state instead of the government in general.

3. iMikeT macrumors 68020

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

5. MuddyPaws1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't blame anyone in particular...state or federal.:confused:

----------

suspended for throwing an imaginary hand grenade? I must have missed that one. :eek:

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Your OP says "And so it starts. This is the kind of stuff that pro-second amendment folks are worried about. "

Answer me this then if you say you're not blaming anything.

And so WHAT starts ? And who is to blame ?

7. MuddyPaws1 thread starter macrumors 6502

You seem to be reading more into what I posted. I said and so it starts. And it has. The pro second amendment people are in many ways worried about the government or government agencies doing stuff like this as the hysteria grows.

Where in that pic is neglect or abuse? What in that picture would make an anti-gun person call child protective services?

What do you mean "what starts"? Did you bother to read the link? I don't see how any logical person could think that was right, even if they are anti-gun.

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Can you tell me what has started ? This type of thing happens all the time all over the country and has for years.

9. MuddyPaws1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Did authorities go too far after seeing a Facebook photo of a kid with an assault-style rifle? (Poll Closed)

Yes. It's a clear violation of both the 1st and 2nd Ammendments. 78.75% (3,833 votes)

No. You can't be too careful when you see a photo like this. 19.03% (926 votes)

I'm not sure. 2.22% (108 votes)

Total Votes: 4,867

----------

Prove it.

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

As soon as you tell me WHAT has started I will.

;)

11. MuddyPaws1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree.

12. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I gather you don't want to admit you think the anti-gun fervor in the US is causing problems for people with wannabe assault rifles.

Ok. fine.

Ignore.

13. MuddyPaws1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think that it's wrong that anyone would think there is neglect or abuse in that picture. I find it even worse that someone would call CPS about it. It gets worse that CPS actually came out to the house and yet worse that the police were involved and wanted to check the guns in the safe without a warrant. This is what happens with hysteria.

14. quagmire, Mar 20, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2013

quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

1) You can't control stupid. This country loves to get into hysterics all the freaking time. " OMG that woman is breastfeeding in public! Someone call the cops for indecent exposure!" " OMG my kid saw Janet Jacksons nipple! I'm offended!"

2) So cops should ignore a call of child abuse?

3) Did they check the guns without the parents permission? Don't need a warrant if the parents voluntarily gave them permission. It's another thing if the cops just barged in after the parents demanded a warrant. I think it is just the cops doing their job to make sure any guns in the house are being properly stored after a call from a person claiming they are not( even though it was from an oversensitive person). As long as they had the owners permission, then I see nothing wrong.

15. MuddyPaws1, Mar 20, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2013

MuddyPaws1 thread starter macrumors 6502

A simple look at the facebook post would have been sufficient. A simple look at the picture would have been enough for any logical person to see there is no abuse or neglect. Does that picture look like there is abuse or neglect going on?

Why would they need to look in the safe? For what reason? The kid wasn't being held captive in the safe.

Do you have any idea how miserable CPS can make your life simply based off an anonymous phone call? This family was smart and didn't bow to pressure or intimidation and allow a warrantless search. Not everyone would be strong enough for that. CPS was called for the muscle. If the police were called for this, nothing would have been done. Police would have looked at the facebook post and that would have been the end of it. I have had to call CPS a few times in my career. I know the hell that unleashes on a family and I try to make darn sure I don't do it lightly.

The caller wasted valuable resources of the CPS and police on this. CPS could have been investigating some ACTUAL abuse.

----------

What abuse?

16. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I assume New Jerseys child abuse hotline works similar to Pennsylvanias where as:

1. Once a call is placed, and investigation HAS to take place no matter what, no matter how severe.

2. Childline workers work directly with the FBI and they have to provide reports for each case.

There is nothing "starting" its just an example of how the system works. I'd rather see a ton of false alarms than one child abuse case missed because people turned the other way.

17. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

First, I will apologize I mistaken CPS for you misspelling cops when you meant child protective services. If the CPS did have access to the photo, then I agree major overreaction. If they didn't and just had an anonymous callers claim of abuse, then they had to investigate it.

As to the cops wanting to search the safe, it's just the cops doing their job. Now they did leave after they were denied access to the safe, but I don't blame the cops for wanting to make sure everything was in order in relation to the guns.

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I'd expect them to investigate every call of child abuse. The picture is irrelevant to me.

19. MuddyPaws1 thread starter macrumors 6502

So you would expect them to ask no questions about what kind of abuse or any details. Just allow a family to be invaded because someone calls and says "there is something bad at 12345 East Street."? You agree with using the CPS as a weapon?

The photo can not be irreverent, it was the reason for the call to CPS. This wasn't a call about screams coming from next door or a child that came to school all beat to crap or in a hospital with broken bones.

It is very apparent that many here have no dealings with CPS and the damage they can do or how they can disrupt a family based on a bogus call.

20. eric/ Guest

eric/

I agree, but the problem is that this is apparently a matter of political disagreement, not genuine concern.

21. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I agree. It was a stupid reason to call. I doubt it will happen again since you can get in serious trouble for fake calls to child services.

22. sim667 macrumors 65816

Letting a child play with a real gun isn't abuse?

And you wonder why you get so many school massacres in america from teenage boys :rolleyes:

23. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Stop the faux outrage over this as a gun issue. It isn't. Child services in most states have to investigate when they get a tip about abuse. Period. If you think that is wrong, fine. But don't turn this into an "Obama's liberal army is coming for our guns" issue.

24. MuddyPaws1 thread starter macrumors 6502

That is the most ignorant statement ever posted on the internet.

----------

I never said anything about Obama. This is a clear case of a crazy anti gun persons irrational actions. I know how CPS works very well. And not all tips turn into house calls.

25. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

This is exactly the kind of story the NRA, funded by the gun manufacturers love. There was nothing more than an investigation, and certainly no effort to take away anyone's right to carry a firearm, yet the hysteria will drive people to buy more guns. A tool that happens to never wear out. Guns are like hammers. Once you have one, it will last you a lifetime as long as you care for it. How do you continue to make money off something that never wears out? You scare people into believing the gub'ment is coming for your hammers.

As liberal as I am, I see very little that can be done as far as fixing the "gun problem" we as a nation have. That being said, I certainly don't think the small changes proposed are enough to get people worked up enough to hoard more guns. Which, by the way, is exactly what the gun lobby wants.