N. Korea Suspected in Cyber Attack

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MyDesktopBroke, Jul 8, 2009.

1. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

South Korea suspects that North Korea was behind the cyber attacks that paralyzed S. Korean and American government websites.

First: USE MACS. We know you have one, Obama. Turn the rest of the government onto them. (/joke)

Second: If it's proven that Pyongyang is responsible for these attacks, would it be considered an act of war?

Didn't the government just announce they were stepping up security in regards to cyber attacks, too? Looks like they did a great job on that front.

I thought a little of Die Hard 4 :eek:

2. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

3. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

And you'd think that this would be big news.
    Apparently N. Korea being "naughty" isn't nearly as important as Michael Jackson.

I'm not saying that the Michael Jackson memorial didn't deserve to have a place in the news... only that mainstream media outlets (well at least in the land of Oz) are absolutely terrible.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I hate turning on a station and hearing about celebrity issues. Seriously, they need to separate that crap into one channel and have all the world news and US real news on another. Some stations are worse than others though.

5. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I don't believe for a moment that the DPRK has enough bandwidth to mount a successful DDOS attack on South Korea (which has one of the worlds best network infrastructures) and have enough left over to attack the USA.

Reeks of bullsh*t to me.

6. MyDesktopBroke thread starter macrumors 6502

I've already seen several people theorizing that it's a government plot to justify strict federal internet control.

7. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Conspiracy theorists... :rolleyes: I bet there are some people who believe the sun rising each day is a government plot (and to be honest, my brother is probably one of them).

I think I would be more surprised to learn North Korea wasn't attacking the interwebz.

8. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Who says it rises each day? That's just what THEY want you to think! WAKE UP, PEOPLE!

9. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

Who says there even is a sun?! :D

10. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

It's actually just a lightbulb on a stick. You've been hypnotized. Or maybe we all exist in some hyper-accurate computer simulation of life... :p:D

11. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

It's hardly got the William of Ockham stamp of approval, but there is an interesting argument that suggests if you accept commonly accepted ideas about the exponential growth of computing power, you are actually far more likely to be a hyper-advanced Sim than an actual human.

Just sayin'.

12. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

So, if we someday create our own simulation, while we live in our own simulation... it's like looking into two mirrors. :eek:

13. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Of the things that may keep me up at night about North Korea, a cyber attack is not one. I'm glad interest is garnering around North Korea's actions, but this is not what I thought would land on the PRSI page.

14. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Awesome movie!!!

15. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Love that theory. Blew my mind when I first read about it last summer. :D

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Seriously. I turned on CNN and saw Anderson Cooper...Anderson Cooper...covering the memorial. :rolleyes:

Thank God MSNBC had some dignity. If I'd tuned in to find the team of Chris Mathews, Keith Olbermann and Rachel Maddow doing live commentary at the event, I think I would've thrown something through the screen.

17. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I must have been dreaming because I thought I saw Larry King cover the MK memorial.

Oh, and I guess the North Koreans must have mastered their Commodore 64 and Atari 8-bit 400 or 800.

18. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Movie? I should rent that :p.