N.Y. Town Clerk Quits Over Marriage Equality Law

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Jul 13, 2011.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2011/07/13/NY_Town_Clerk_Quits_Over_Marriage_Equality_Law/

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

If you can't in good conscience fulfill the requirements of your job, you should not be doing said job.

This reminds me of the pharmacists who wouldn't presribe the morning-after contraceptive medication.

3. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

4. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes. Clearly she was paid far too much. :)

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

And there shouldn't be. Complete misunderstanding of the first amendment.

7. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

it must be a part-time job

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Amazing how people think they can go around crapping on others' rights.

9. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Clearly, eh? Then no doubt she can cite chapter and verse for that specific teaching. I'll be over here not holding my breath.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Isn't the real question whether they're hiring a replacement (untamed growth of government) or whether they're distributing the work to other clerks (breaking the backs of the common man to manage the deficit)? :)

11. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Whatever people here might think of her convictions, she has the courage of them. She's not trying to have her cake and eat it, too, unlike (as previously noted) certain pharmacists who want to retain their job but not fully perform them. For that, I applaud her.

12. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I don't applaud bigotry in any form. Did she do the right thing by leaving? Yes. But it's her reason for leaving that should bother everyone. She left because people she doesn't like finally got equal treatment under the law. That's sad.

13. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

The bible has so many stupid outdated commandments, even the big 10 are pretty useless outside of the three that are actually laws.

How do they decide not to kill people for working on Sunday but to continue to hate on gays?

14. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Easy- they don't like us and hide behind religion to justify their dislike.

15. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

She didn't leave because she "didn't like gays", she left because she couldn't in good faith do her job. Remember - she is the one actually signing the marriage licenses. She didn't picket against gays in front of the courthouse or yell obscenities to gays trying to get married - she simply quit her job.

Whether someone agrees with her stance on homosexual marriage or not, I don't see a problem with her quitting, especially considering what her job entailed. What should she do, be forced to stay against her will?

Again, when you're speaking about someone's belief system it has nothing to do with like or dislike.

16. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

If I ever met someone who abided by every rule in the bible I'd almost be impressed. I wouldn't agree with them, but I'd respect them.

People who cherry pick passages from the bible to justify their own beliefs while ignoring parts of the bible they disagree with drive me crazy.

17. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

And why couldn't she do her job?

18. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Because her convictions are homophobic, silly. ;)

19. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Here's the thing- I already said she did the right thing by quitting. However, her reasons for doing so are sad. Looks like the wackos are gearing up for more too:

These people want theocracy. It's becoming very obvious.

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2011/07/13/NY_Marriage_Equality_Opponents_Fight_Not_Over/

20. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Clearly they'll have a hard time replacing her stamping and signing abilities :rolleyes:

21. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh- it most certainly does. You can keep those blinders on if you like, though.

22. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Look more closely. You'll find that people's beliefs are shaped by their opinions, not the other way around. "God" always agrees with the biases of his followers.

23. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I wonder how town clerks have felt about interracial marriage over the years? I suppose there were some that quit back when that was made legal too since "the races shouldn't mix" argument was backed with religious overtones too. But the same rules would apply...you either do your job or you quit/get fired for not doing it.

As a side note..Funny how these people always seem to know what God wants. Hmmm...I am thinking it is less about God and more about themselves!! I think if God didn't want that marriage license having two guys or two girls names on it he could manage to do something about that. After all, he did supposedly create everything, right? So burning up a piece of paper should be easy. Or making all the pens run out of ink when a gay couple is there. The fact that none of these things ever happen should tell the bigoted something. But it seems that they do not learn that lesson.

24. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Isn't it bigotry to hate bigots ? :)

She was a town clerck, not a policeman, a judge, or a public official in a leadership role. She, as well as you and I, can hold whatever beliefs our heart desires. She didn't feel right about signing marriage certificates from gay couples, so she did the honorable thing and quit her job. Thankfully I don't live in a country such Germany that tells me what to believe in. What if they passed laws banning homosexual acts, would you still feel the same way?

25. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

What a bunch of nazis...
    Sorry, couldn't help it. :eek: