n00b: What settings on Final Cut Pro for working with video from a Flip Ultra?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by carl201167, Dec 26, 2008.

1. carl201167 macrumors regular

I'm sure this is a really basic question, but it is stopping me enjoying trading up from iMovie (where I am reasonably competent) to FCP

What settings (on Easy Set-up?) should I use when importing/editing video from my Flip Video Ultra?

Please be as simple as possible - I am a beginner on FCP :eek:

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

What format does that camera record to?

You'll most likely need to convert the videos first with something like MPEGstreamclip before bringing them into FCP. You'll need to choose a more editable format like DVCPro 50 (SD) or DVCProHD.

Then in FCP, choose the easy setup that matches what you converted everything to.

3. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

The Flip Ultra record in MPEG-4 (.mp4) which FCP is NOT able to read. I use MPEG Streamclip to convert most of my video formats. Bigbossbmb has conveniently provided a link to the website that has a free download waiting for you (and anyone else who wants it).:D Some like other video converters that I have not tried like AVS Video Converter or Handbrake (handbrake rips DVDs but some still call it a "video converter"). Since I have not tried these I will not say anything bad or good about them. I simply don't know.

4. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

Handbrake isn't limited to DVDs anymore... so it's a viable option for video conversion. They've also included some speed and quality improvements to the h264 encoder.

If the OP wants to do some basic trimming before conversion, though, MPEGstreamclip is the best bet.

5. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

That's nice, I haven't used it in a while so I must not of gotten the update yet. For basic trimming, MPEG Streamclip is the best bet. It provide basic editing tools, but anything major that you want filters, transitions, etc. you will need to go into Final Cut (Pro or Express) or iMovie.