N9 vs iPhone - Design

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cod3rror, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Checked out Nokia's N9 recently and I was really impressed by the design.

That phone looks absolutely amazing!

I was very impressed by the build quality and the feeling of polycarbonate, looks and feels very premium, the unibody design is awesome, it looks kinda "alien" because there seems to be no cracks or access to the inside of the phone, it feels like one solid piece.

Comparing it to the iPhone, I have to say, it definitely is up there in terms of design. And IMO, overall it's a more effective and impressive design because it combines the looks with durability.

With the iPhone you get the looks, but most people's phones are covered in cases because the phone is so fragile, however with the N9, you get the beautiful design that you can easily use without worrying about dropping it, obviously the screen can crack but the rest of the body seems very durable, and since it's a polycarbonate the colour goes all the way so if you scratch it, it'll still be the same colour inside.

Quite impressed, durability and premium non-plasticy feel, I know everyone is asking for aluminum and metal but frankly, I'd really like Apple to try themselves at polycarbonate.

2. Boisv macrumors regular

The latest Nokia phones are indeed very sleek and impressive. Before I bought my 4S (my first iPhone) I spent a long time drooling over the Nokia N8 with it's HDMI output, 12MP camera, and efficient Symbian OS. I wanted one so badly but the $400 pricetag kept me away. I waited patiently for a US carrier to subsidize it, but the day never came.

I have to say it was for the best however. Soon after, Apple announced iCloud. Since I already own an iPad and a MacBook Pro, once iCloud was announced buying an iPhone was a no brainer. Boy how upset I'd be right now if I had dropped $400 on that Nokia, leaving me cloudless.

They're fantastic devices though, and they're beautiful. I'm really impressed with Nokia lately, and I wish they'd catch on more with the Android crowd. If I had reason to ditch my iPhone, Nokia would be my first stop. I'd certainly consider them before Blackberry or Android.

But are they more durable than an iPhone? I'm not so sure. I've broken polycarbonate phones several times, but my iPhone remains durable. I only have a simple bumper case around the edge of my 4S, and so far that has been enough to withstand numerous drops and bumps. It's the most durable phone I've ever had.

3. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Yep, very nice phone. Will most likely go iPhone 4 or 5 if and when my 3GS dies, but if I'm switching platforms I'd take Nokia/MS over devices running Android any day.

4. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Now that I've used Windows Phone 7 for a bit, I don't think it'll fly with the Android crowd. Windows Phone 7 is basically a more extreme version of iOS made with Microsoft's idea of new touch UI paradigm - lots of cross app shortcuts, live "tiles" which are really just large live icons, very abstract visuals, very responsive but even more limited in functionality than iOS, etc.

Android users look for latest specs, large display, tweakability, file system, etc, none which is provided by Windows Phone 7 except large display and even that is limited since the resolution is currently restricted.

Worse, the "real" customers of Microsoft's OS, the OEMs such as Samsung and HTC, and the carriers, have very little interest in promoting Windows Phone 7 outside Nokia since it gives them less control than Android. The OEMs have seen Microsoft scooping up all the profit while PC makers get to live on tiny margins. Careers are very weary of giving power to a platform they cannot modify as they please. Combined with Android's success, it doesn't give them the motivation to put their 100% effort behind the platform.

The next Windows Phone might change the tide but for now Microsoft has a fine product that unfortunately doesn't have a real target market.

5. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

6. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

God. If there never was any iPhone I swear I would have one of these. What a beautiful phone.

7. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

I didn't know iPhones force you to stay away from Nokia phones.

8. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

They don't force me, per se. They are however my preference over Nokia. Like I said, if iPhone's didn't exist, I would most likely have a Nokia Lumia.

9. scott craft macrumors 6502a

I would love to have a Lumia 900 on Verizon. I'm hoping Nokia has a top WP on Verizon by November.

Sent from my Windows7 Phone using Board Express

10. kevinof macrumors 6502a

Not sure I agree with you here. Friend of mine was given an upgrade and when she called Vodafone to see what they had , Vodafone pushed very hard with the Nokia Lumia!

Seems like at least some of the carriers are more than willing to give the MS/Nokia union a bit of a push.

11. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Nokia are coming out with some stunning hardware, but I just don't like Windows Phone 7 (or Windows 8 with the Metro interface) so it's pretty irrelevant to me :)

12. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Windows Phone 7 might be a decent OS, but I don't like it at all. I used a Focus for two months and couldn't tolerate it after that.

But yeah, Nokia got good hardware, that's for sure.

13. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

The Lumia 800 (middle) and the N9(right) are essentially the same design.
    There are some minor tweaks like the camera button.
    The Lumia 900 (left) is similar, but a tad bigger.

[​IMG]

Here's a blue 900... love the color.

[​IMG]

14. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (PlayStation Vita 1.61) AppleWebKit/531.22.8 (KHTML, like Gecko) Silk/3.2)

I love the looks of the Lumia 800/900 series. A real nice design from Nokia.

15. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

I love Nokia's design! Not really a fan of the black, but I LOVE the vibrant colours. I wish the iPhone came in different colours.

16. ea9 macrumors regular

Sick phone and sick OS.

The N9 has a bigger screen then the 800 due to the buttons windows requires. 3.9" vs 3.7".
    If I wasn't so deep into the iPhone ecosystem -iMessage, Airplay, iCloud, iTunes Match, Slingplayer -I would rock an 800.

That said, my 'vacation' phone is a lumia 710 :D

17. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

Nokia ✔ Awesome design ✔ unique features/color ➠ ♚ with Metro :p

18. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

Nokia always makes wonderful designs.

They are on par with Apple, and to some extent, HTC when it comes to looks.

19. orusworam macrumors newbie

Nokia N9 is not Lumia. Way better!!

Well N9 is not same as any Lumia phones from Nokia.

N9 is one of a kind!!! A collectors item. It uses a Linux based OS called MeeGo / Harmattan.

It is unbelievably user friendly OS and it is Open. Not like IOS. It has something called swipe to navigate the screens. No button in the front.

You can do pretty much anything with the phone, including installing many of the Linux apps.

I am a iPhone to N9 convert. I can never go back. I owned an iPhone and when I bought the N9, I gave it to my wife. Now if I try to use iPhone now, it looks so awkward. I keep swiping to get things done.

People say there is not many apps like iPhone, but the apps that come with it are way better than iPhone and cover most of the needs of a normal smart phone user.

Second OS update came couple days ago and it is much smoother than before.

Google it and read some reviews by GSMArena and many other sites. They all agree with what I said here.

Only thing Lumia has it common is Lumia used the design developed for N9. Windows does not come even close to Meego.

20. Savor Suspended

Savor

Like I said in another post, "plastic" is NOT a bad thing to have. Plastics can absorb shock better. Polycarbonate is used to make BULLETPROOF glass! From an aesthetic standpoint, the original iPhone 4 was a beauty. Then Apple decided to use the same design and it got played out. A company like Nokia already surpassed Apple's phone design and many others like HTC and Motorola have surpassed them when it comes to PRACTICAL durability. It doesn't make sense to have a fragile but beautiful designed iPhone 4/4s only for it to be covered by ugly and thick cases because they aren't ergonomically perfect to hold and prone to shatter.

21. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

Ew, that phone looks like a stretched out iPod Nano when it had the click wheel.

22. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

Me gusta. But to each their own. Unique = good imo

23. Dang1ing Nuts macrumors member

24. Padraig macrumors 6502a

The N9 is an absolutely gorgeous phone, stunning in white, it's that prefect combination of hardware and software coming together and complementing each other. Unfortunately, because of this prefect fusion the Lumia 800 seems somewhat off to me - and I say that as someone who thinks WP7 is very impressive - The curved glass on the N9 was as a result of the Harmattan interface and it just doesn't seem to fit with wp7 paradigm, worse the capacitive WP7 buttons and smaller screen throw off the perfect symmetry of the N9s design; although they do look significantly better on the Lumia 900.

The N9s design not only feels great in the hand, it's extremely robust as well; so there's need to hide the great design with a cover.

25. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45