Naked student fatally shot by police at Alabama college

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Oct 6, 2012.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm..what? So police could not stop an 18 year old naked kid without killing him? Seriously?Looks like we have some officers in need of training. Also, I will say that a lot seems to be missing from this story.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...-kills-naked-student-20121006,0,7051118.story

2. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Shooting a naked, unarmed kid - that's going to look great on a resume.

You go, 2nd amendment!

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

this would of been a great time to use a tazer over a gun.

4. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

I find it strange that there was no mention as to whether the student was armed or not. I think that would be a major factor.

5. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

It's unfortunate, but I kinda side with the police on this one as of yet. As the article says, the guy was a "physical, spiritual and mental warrior". I haven't seen a picture of him, but that sounds pretty terrifying, and given that he does wrestling, I'm assuming he was a big dude. I would like to know if the officer had a tazer or pepper spray or something on him (in which case he really shouldn't have used his gun), and also why he shot the guy in the chest as opposed to the leg. The guy did have plenty of warnings though from the sounds of it, and when someone points a gun at you and says stop, you stop.

6. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly my thoughts on this. This is precisely the kind of situation tasters were meant for. But come on- really? A campus police officer had to kill an 18 year old for most likely being drunk and disorderly? I'm just guessing here- the kid could have been on the bath salts drug too.

Regardless, this should not have happened given the info in the article.

The problem is, we have little to go on given the info. It's not uncommon for college kids to drug a fellow student for fun and laughs. That could have been the case, we just don't know right now.

7. fox10078 macrumors 6502

fox10078

That would be horrible if that was the case, and it's definitely possible.

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

He could very well have been experimenting with alcohol or drugs on his own. We just don't know right now. This case is lacking in so much information at the moment.

I can say this though, if you as law enforcement, can't take down a naked kid without killing him, you need to GO.

9. Jspring86 Suspended

Jspring86

This is a really sad story. I was actually born in Mobile, AL where the University of South Alabama is located. My parents were telling me about this story earlier. I hope that they find out some more information about what happened, but so far it seems like the police officer was unjustified in using fatal force. I'm not a cop or a particularly imposing guy, but I think I could subdue a drunk college freshman without killing him...particularly since he could have shot the kid somewhere like the foot or leg.

10. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

You say kid, but from the sound of it the 'kid' was pretty scary. A muscular wrestler, approaching the officer repeatedly with apparently no fear of guns, threatening and challenging him verbally, and finally charging him in a fighting stance. Also, do we know how big the officer was?

Look, I'm not saying he should have shot the guy, but I can understand why he did.

11. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If he had a tazer or pepper spray he should have used those instead, as for why he shot him in the chest instead of the leg it's because the chest is a bigger target and you don't use guns to would people. If you need to shoot someone you shoot to kill, not to wound.

12. ChristianVirtual macrumors 601

ChristianVirtual

a trained police man should do better then that ... if a hit into the leg don't stop the guy lets talk again; but at least damage should be the goal.

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm pretty sure they are trained to shoot for the center of mass, by the time the officer is needing to use a gun their goal is to kill. You can debate whether the police needed to actually use a gun in this situation or if they had a taser that they could have used instead, but if he really needed to use a gun then he made the right call to shoot for the chest.

14. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Let's see- naked, unarmed, obviously intoxicated kid. Never before in the history of the human race has this situation ever happened, right? But yet, a cop has the right to kill this person? Are you ****ing kidding me?

If that is the case, there should be a lot more dead college students lying around.

15. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Yeah, ignore the fact that he was a threatening, erratic, muscular wrestler that showed no fear in the face of a gun, and charged a cop who had a gun drawn. At some point people have to take responsibility for their own actions. What if he had overpowered the cop, taken his gun and killed a bunch of people? Then you'd all be asking why he didn't shoot the guy.

16. fox10078 macrumors 6502

fox10078

Kid was 5'7" 135 pounds. Not exactly a giant.

17. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Where did you see that?

18. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Well then shooting him isn't going to work. You have to destroy the brain or remove the head.

Yep, kid shouldn't have been shot. This wasn't a kill or be killed situation, a naked 18 year old isn't going to pose a threat to society. Bad call.

19. fox10078 macrumors 6502

fox10078

20. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Now apply that logic to the cop. At some point a cop has to take responsibility for their own actions. Especially when they are sober and the other person is probably not. You want someone on drugs or who has gone insane to take responsibility, but that due to the nature of those things is not possible or even logical and neither deserve an immediate death sentence either.

21. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Unlikely, the guy who ate the guys face wasn't on bath salts, nor has any other person I've read about doing comparably crazy things. That news story was based entirely on hysteria and when the toxicology report came back the media conveniently ignored the results

Not saying bath salts are a good drug, those substances are pretty vile but fundamentally they're just exotic stimulants with unknown long term effects, acutely unless you take them for over a week inducing psychosis through sleep deprivation they cause behaviour like this.

It happens, some people are *******s.

I've unknowingly somehow consumed a strong hallucinogen at a party before, handily the experience wasn't a bad one just somewhat confusing to start as I wasn't expecting it.

22. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I notice that it says campus police officer what is this, and do they have different training to normal police?

23. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

The cop is taking responsibility for his actions. He's on suspension. Obviously it's unfortunate that the man died, and hopefully it won't happen again, but that doesn't change the fact that charging a person with a drawn weapon yelling at you to stop is likely to end in violence. As for the possible drugs aspect, if you don't want to be shot while attacking a cop in a drugged out state, don't take drugs. They're illegal for a reason. Even if he didn't take them on purpose, it's not the officer's fault he was being attacked, in that case the person who drugged him should be taking the blame.

Of course, I wasn't there so I don't know the whole story, but I trust that if the police officer had thought he could subdue him or had the option do deal with things a different way he would have. I could be wrong, maybe he was a total bastard out for blood, but I don't really believe that.

24. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

I agree, if a person trys to approach me the same way and keeps going i might aswell be on the safe side and blast him.

25. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic (as so many on here are) or actually agreeing with me. In any case, I'm strongly against violence, but if it's him or me, I choose me every time.