Name reasons why you bought 12" Macbook instead of 13" or 15" Pro. Do you have another MAC?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by KensaiMage, Feb 7, 2018.

1. KensaiMage macrumors regular

KensaiMage

2. canuckRus macrumors 6502a

canuckRus

1) weight
    2) cost
    3) smaller and lighter physically than my old MacAir 11"

3. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Main reason for buying the 12" MacBook -- weight and size, wonderful portability, lightweight on my lap. I initially bought a 2016 MB, but then when the 2017 versions offered the option of 16 GB RAM, I sold the 2016 and bought a 2017. Love it! Used for travel and for around the house, but mainly in the bedroom at nighttime. I also have iPads but there are just some things that I prefer to do on a "real" computer that the iPad and iOS can't handle.

Yes, I actually do have other Macs in the household: a 2015 15" MBP and a 13" MBP, both in the main living area. So I have the best of both worlds, still employing and enjoying the so-called "legacy" ports while also having a smooth transition to the newer USB-C port. I've got a couple of dongles but most of the time nothing is plugged into any of my machines. The last couple of external drives I purchased came with both a cable with USB 3 and a cable with USB-C so it is easy enough to transfer files and folders among the various machines, just swapping cables as needed.

4. BeatCrazy macrumors 68000

I could have bought the 13" MBP (I use the nTB '16 model for work), but simply the "lightness" of the MB keeps me coming back. It's literally 50% less weight that my work laptop!

My MacBook is for casual use, so actual "lap" use, and move it around one-handed is a big plus. A 13" display would be nice, but not enough to put up with the added bulk of the 13" MBP.

5. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

Easy! I fell in love with it the very second that I saw it. I'm a less is more person in tech - 1 MacBook, 1 iPhone & 1 Apple TV 4K.
    I wanted a MacBook that was the size of an iPad but had OS X so that I could use it as a 'media hub' for my music, HD film and video, photos, home videos and music playlists (ALL DOWNLOADED ON THE MACBOOK) to sync with my iPhone and ATV along with something to browse the internet on, maybe edit a home video in FCPX once a year and writes blogs on in Apple Pages. It's my one and only computer.
    To me, the MacBook 12" is perfect. It's the chicest computer that's ever been made. It's stylish and I love it. It fits into my life and lifestyle.
    23 years of using Macs and it's my favourite design of all time by a long shot!

6. Huffboys1 macrumors member

I use a 13" MBP...just bought my oldest a 12"MB for Christmas. Both are great but the 12" is such a great ultra portable device.

7. deepakvrao macrumors 6502

Using a MB Pro 13, and cant wait to get my hands on the MB 12. Would love the savings of 600 grams. Mine is the 2015 Pro.

8. TomOSeven, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018

TomOSeven macrumors 6502

TomOSeven

Cost and weight, mostly. I just got a used, great condition 60 cycle MB12 2015 with 512 GB. That was cheaper than a 256gb 2015 MBP, and like 50% cheaper than a 2017 MBP with 256 GB.

I just needed a legitimate Mac in case things go south with my hackintosh. I would never ONLY have the 12" Macbook, but it's a nice niche computer that lives in the backpack. Certainly a far cry more useful than my iPad, which I'm selling now.

9. WickedPorter macrumors regular

WickedPorter

Size and weight. the 12" MacBook is so easy to take with me, anywhere ... and the battery life is fantastic. I'm one of the "best of both worlds" people ... work-provided 2017 15" rMBP, self-provided 12" :D

10. QuietGamer macrumors member

QuietGamer

Base '15 rMB is the couch driver. '14 Top stock spec Mini is the Daily driver. It shares Monitor, KB and mouse with a W10 gamer PC.

Wife's (Traveling Teacher) DD is a '15 Top stock spec rMB. She LOVES that thing!

11. rufas2000 macrumors member

rufas2000

Size. Wanted something easy to carry that worked with my iPad, iPhone and Apple TV. I'm a teacher. I use my iPad Pro to mirror to the TV but its nice to know my Mac can natively do it too, needs must. I use the Mac for attendance, grading and other items that don't need to be on a screen.

I also use it to store and manage my offline music collection. I keep my own copy of my music but do use iCloud.

12. bill-p macrumors 68000

1) Weight
    2) Size
    3) No fan(s)
    4) Battery life
    5) Still has (only) USB-C
    6) Still drives a 4K display @ 60Hz
    7) Still has 16GB RAM
    8) Can charge from any random USB battery pack

I pretty much leave the work-provided 2016 rMBP 15" on the desk permanently and the MB 12" goes with me everywhere.

Unless I'm gaming or running intensive algorithms, I honestly can't even tell why I'd need the 15" machine for anything other than maybe screen size and real estate.

13. 1madman1 macrumors regular

Primarily curiosity.

It was new and shiny plus I'd owned at one point or another literally every other model and size except for a 17" MBP. However, I would've gone for another 13" Air instead if it's screen wasn't so bad. My other portables were a 13" non-Retina and 15" Retina at the time of purchase - and they're both sold off now. The 2015 Macbook is currently the only portable Mac I have.

14. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

It's portable and lightweight. I hate big ass laptops. Even the 13 inch MacBook Pro is too heavy and big for me. I bought that one first, gave it to my sister and then this really good deal on 12 inch rMB came along and I bought it.

15. Enrico macrumors 6502

Enrico

I'm still debating whether to go for a 12 or 15....only for the screen size and resolution since my daily workload does not involve anything intensive performance wise.

16. FilmIndustryGuy macrumors regular

i have both the 12 and 15 2017 and they are perfect for their own reason. i prefer to use the 15 at home and using the 15 on the go sucks. the 12 is my travel and work tool. if i had to only keep one id keep the 12 inch. i dont realize how great eh 12 is on the go until i take the 15 for on the go.

17. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

Home machine: Dual 27" iMacs with one being used as a second screen for the other. Lots and lots of screen real estate. That's over 50 pounds of computer weight!

Portable machine: 12" MacBook. That's just 2 pounds of computer weight. :)

Best of both worlds.

DualiMac_separate.jpg

18. deuxani, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018

deuxani macrumors 6502

deuxani

When I wanted a new laptop I decided I wanted something fanless! Having a computer make fan noise in this day and age just makes me feel like sad.

I fell in love with the 12" MacBook when I saw it in stores, because of the thinness and the weight. But I thought it was underpowered as everyone on the interwebs kept saying. Then I played with it, loaded some heavy websites, some apps..... and it kept going. I didn't notice anything that made me feel this was underpowered. Then I saw this video:

That's when I decided I was going to get the 12" MacBook.

And owning it showed me I actually want to use a laptop more than I previously did. Because of the portability I use it all the time at the airport and in the plane, I carry it with me around the office, I bring it to meetings where I would normally bring my iPad, etc. Previously I would never do that.

The speed is perfect for me (I use it everyday for Excel, Outlook, Citrix, VPN, GoToMeeting, Skype, Gmail, WhatsApp, Safari and occasionally Photoshop and Xcode), I have never had one moment where I thought "oh I need a faster laptop now".

And finally, I get about 8-12 hours of battery life, which is truly amazing! I literally have this policy when I'm abroad to continue working till my battery dies and sometimes that is from 9 till 9.

I can just say, I fell in love with this laptop and I still love it! If it would break down and I had to buy another laptop I would get the 12" MacBook again in a heartbeat. And yes, this is my one and only device (at home it's connected to a Dell Ultrasharp U2515H).

19. Enrico macrumors 6502

Enrico

Which version did you get?
    I'm still on the fence between the 12 or the 15 for screen real estate, I would be using it for your exact same office tasks from Monday to Friday.

20. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

External monitor when at home so screen size is irrelevant. Very portable, so light I have to check if it’s in the bag. Battery life. Used to have a 15 “ MBP. Too big to be portable.

21. daniel.yrh macrumors newbie

I purchased my 2017 Macbook a few months back and I got myself the i5 model (with 16GB RAM upgrade). I have been using a 2012 Macbook Air and it is too large to fit my briefcase and too heavy for me to carry it around.

Nowadays I always carry my 2017 Macbook wrapped inside the apple leather sleeve in my briefcase.

22. deuxani macrumors 6502

deuxani

I have the 2016 M5 model (I got it in November 2016). I started with 17" 9 years ago, then went to 15" 5 years ago and ended up with the 12" 1,5 year ago. In the beginning I thought 15" would even be too small to do my work with, but now (when I am not at home) I don't have an issue at all working with the 12" screen.

It really depends on your workflow. If you don't have an external monitor and mostly don't travel or move around the office a lot, a 15" would be best. If you do a lot of graphic design (like my wife) a 15" is also better. But for the tasks I describe the 12" is perfect.

23. kmpowell macrumors member

I bought a 2017 MacBook 2 weeks ago. Before Christmas my work introduced a BYOD policy, and I've recently moved into a new role that means I am going between two offices and across (from the UK where I'm based) to Paris a fair bit. With that in mind I wanted a machine that was ultra portable to go into my briefcase, but good enough (and large enough screen) to be used on trains/planes and also in the office (hooked up to a screen) as a daily for Office Apps and heavy web browser sessions (a lot of what I do is web-based cloud solutions delivered through a browser).

For context of my usage; at home I have a 2015 iMac 27" (3.3/1TBSSD/16GB) and an iPad Air 2, my mobile is a 7+.

I decided I wanted a full OS on Tablet with touchscreen, so I went out and bought a Surface Pro. That last 48hrs before I returned it due to the appalling usability, the size of it, and the poor build of the keyboards etc. On paper they look excellent, in reality, not so much!

After taking it back, I looked at all the touchscreen laptop devices on the market (Dell XPS 13", HP Spectre, Lenovo etc), but nothing suited in physical size and power/performance balance. I therefore stuck to what I knew best, dropped the touchscreen idea and narrowed it down to a new 12" MB or a new 13" MBP, both the same price. I was all set to get the MacBook Pro due to what I thought was a much better performance, but I really wanted ultra portability so I looked at the MacBook in detail (especially the thread re processor performance here) and realised the entry level m3 was a vastly underrated processor. So I ordered a Space Grey m3 machine through my employee discount scheme and it duly arrived.

My thoughts so far, no regrets! Size and weight is perfect, it makes the MBP look and feel very bulky indeed. Now I have the multi AV adaptor that solves any port issues. It's more than fast enough to run multiple office applications and web based sessions. The screen is a delight to use, and the battery lasts for what seems like a lifetime! At home my iPad has been made redundant due to the SSD in the MacBook making wake-ups and usage instant, so that's now the kids device.

So as a work/portable 'inbetween' machine, the MacBook really works for me and I'm glad I bought it over the MBP. :)