Naming the next iPhone 'iPhone 5'

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by J.C, Apr 9, 2012.

1. J.C macrumors 6502

Why do people (e.g professional journalists) keep referring to the next (yet unreleased) iPhone as 'iPhone 5'? Why would Apple call the 6th iPhone 'iPhone 5'?

2. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

'coz it's the next one in the naming cycle.

"iPhone 6" won't make sense to anyone except pedantic mugginses like you.

They may even call it "the new iPhone" or just "iPhone".

3. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

No worries, it will be the sixth gen iPhone and thus the iPhone 6.

4. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

Makes perfect sense that you would think this.

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Gee, something new and unique in this thread.

And the children are fighting about this new and unique issue!

Attached Files:

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm going for iPhone V, but that's just because it's stylish.

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

iPod nano (6th generation)
    iPod touch (4th generation)
    iPad (3rd generation)
    iPhone (6th generation)

only makes sense.

8. MattMJB0188, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012

MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

^ This. For a while it will probably be referred to as "The New iPhone". No way will they call it the iPhone 5 as that wouldn't make any sense.

EDIT: I love when people rate my comments down. Just makes me comment more. :D

9. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

They will most definitely not call it "the new iPhone". Its weird, confusing, and doesn't match up with naming Apple has ever used.

10. William.Mantle macrumors 6502

Why does this need discussing again

Get over it already!

11. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

It will be called the "new iPhone" and people will most certainly refer to it as iPhone 5. Why, do you ask? I believe the term "iPhone 5" no longer refers to the phones generation, but is labeled by the public as "the phone that will replace the current phone". In other words, the iPhone 5 is like a standard the iPhone must reach. iPhone 6 means nothing to the average consumer, but to release the new iPhone and call it "new iPhone" would most certainly mean it would be referred to as "iPhone 5"

12. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

I understand what you mean and it is indeed the most logical thing to just call it the "iPhone" just like the third generation iPad is now called "iPad" (not "new iPad").

The iPhone 4, however, was the fourth generation iPhone and that's why it was called the iPhone 4. If they are going with a number, than they should really go with the "iPhone 6". Apple has already shown us that they don't care how the public calls it (everybody was calling the third gen. iPad the iPad 3).

13. takeshi74, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Why do people keep asking this question? Look at the history of iPhone device names. That's why. Why would Apple call the 2nd iPhone the 3G? Why would Apple call the third iPhone the 3Gs? Why would Apple call the 5th iPhone the 4s? The model name isn't necessarily the sequence # of the model.

How does 1 example out of 5 examples mean anything? Why were no other models named using this scheme? What about the "s" models which were basically tweaked revisions of the prior models? Do they really count as a separate generation? The selective reasoning used by many is very odd. Just because one thing seems to support your argument doesn't mean that it's the reason (i.e coincidental != causal).

14. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I think Apple wants simplicity with names, it's easier to remember and is more iconic.

I'd prefer just 'Apple iPhone' rather than 'Samsung Galaxy S II 4G LTE Skyrocket' for example

15. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

Oh, you mean like how they didn't call the new iPad "the new iPad"?

16. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Yup, it will be the new iPhone, then the newer iPhone, newest etc. Gotta love it. :confused:

17. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

The word 'new' is a part of speech called an adjective, particularly here when used lower case, and supporting an new object that has been released.

Your English lesson for the day.

The new, faster Macbook Air (holy **** they used two adjectives!)

Pro-tip: 'new, faster' is not part of the name of the Macbook Air.

http://i.imm.io/lCF1.png

18. J.C thread starter macrumors 6502

19. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Steve Jobs literally said the iPhone 4 is the fourth generation iPhone. If we were to ignore the S-models, than the iPhone 4 would have been called the iPhone 3.

20. RAWphenom macrumors member

Hmmm, I wonder why they called the 2nd generation iPhone the 3G? Perhaps it could be because of the inclusion of 3G capability on said phone. I wonder why they called the 3rd iPhone the 3GS? Perhaps it could be because its updates from the 3G didn't warrant a new moniker. I wonder why they called the 4th iPhone the 4S? Please see previous reason.

To me, it seems as if Apple has had reasoning for naming each iPhone what it ended up as.

21. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

I had always believed Apple named the iPhone the 4S so they could easily transition into the iPhone 4G this year, however with iOS 5.1 Apple showed that they are excepting of the term 4G in the broad sense of HSPA+ and LTE. So now I don't believe the next iPhone will be the iPhone 4G, but probably just iPhone (6th generation). Although Apple may choose to call it iPhone LTE, but given what has gone on in the courts with the new iPad being marketed as LTE when those networks aren't available to it, I'm not sure.

22. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

the iPhone 4s is the 5th iPhone. So maybe iPhone 4SLTE lol

23. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I'm voting for "the new iPhone", but I've long since given up on identifying some sort of naming convention in the iPhone line.

24. gunhunter macrumors newbie

25. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

It'll be called iPhone PooPoo before Apple ever decides to call it the iPhone 5.

TRUST.

People need to let that silly idea go once and for all.