Nancy Pelosi: "Steve Jobs didn't invent the iPhone. The federal government invented the iPhone."

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Jun 10, 2016.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Months after the company fought a tense legal battle with the FBI over iPhone security, the Democratic leader in the U.S. House of Representatives is questioning how much credit Apple should get for creating the iPhone. In comments this week, Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said "federal research" — not Steve Jobs or Apple — invented the iPhone.

What Pelosi seems to be saying was that federal funding and research played a key role in many of the underlying technologies within the iPhone, which is true. As just one example, the U.S. military developed GPS technology, which powers much of the location-based data that's fundamental to smartphones today. She also appears to mistakenly call LCD (liquid-crystal display) technology "LLD."

However, her claim that Jobs and Apple merely designed and assembled the technologies, and that the federal research programs deserve credit for inventing the device, is already being compared to President Obama's "You didn't build that" speech in 2012.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

3. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Silly Nancy,

GOD MADE NANCY PELOSI, THE US GOVERNMENT, STEVE JOBS AND THE IPHONE!

Hahahah. Such a ridiculous statement.

4. FieldingMellish Suspended

By Pelosi's measure, any invention or improvement is not by the person's own creation.

iPhone brought forth tons of conveniences that never would have happened, thanks to Steve. Ground breaking, business busting and business creating. Staggering, actually, affecting all walks of life.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Strip all of Apple's patents, they didn't invent that, Pelosi did.

6. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Anyone with half a brain knows that the originator of the cell phone is Gene Rodenberry. Of Star Trek fame. Before anyone made one, Capatain Kirk was using his flip open communicator. That's where the idea came from. So states the guy who developed it for Motorola. His inspiration to make it real.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

8. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Roddenberry didn't invent that. The Gubberment did.

9. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Without DARPA, we wouldn't have the Internet. So yes conservatives, gov't funding and gov't research does help sometimes. A vast war time project, funded by taxpayers, created the atom bomb and nuclear reactors.

It does take capitalism and commercial ingenuity and marketing know-how to take basic and applied scientific research though, and bring it to market and make a profit.

10. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

In your opinion.

I see no evidence what so ever that god created anything. As I see no evidence of any god, nor which god out of the thousands invented by man.

Pelosi, iPhone, government, everything came from the hydrogen atoms, cooked inside stars, forming heavier elements that evolved over billions of years to form a portion of the universe that can deduce it exists and where it came from, and yes make the iphone. Now that's amazing! Any god we have imagined, pales in comparison.

11. zin macrumors 6502

Well, she's technically not wrong. Federal research did enable those things to come to fruition. That's a great thing, let's not denigrate the government for enabling these technologies to come into existence, many of which wouldn't have been innovated by the private sector because of the lack of immediate return on investment (GPS satellites come to mind).

The important point, however, is that, without Steve Jobs and Apple, you'd have to carry around 30 kilos worth of equipment on your back to transport it all, along with a metre high antenna pointing up from your head to get it to work.

12. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Consider how little of modern technology we would have if the government had not reverse engineered the technology found in the crashed Roswell spacecraft.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 11, 2016 ---
    Stop it, don't you know conservatives hate facts that go against their preconceived spin.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 11, 2016 ---
    Maybe we can agree it was a joint effort? Dah

13. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Yes, there is good government investment. Unfortunately there is also massive waste.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The government often puts money into the pot on certain R&D projects or possibly directly funds research internally, it's ultimately the people working on the projects that are responsible though, or possibly the people who taught them, or their parents, or their parents parents. The government can't just say "we invented that". Pelosi and her pals don't know the difference between a resister and a capacitor. The government also lacks creativity which made Apple a great company.

Technically they could just say they paved the roads that everyone used to get to work so they are responsible for everything though.

15. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    But Steve Jobs didn't invent the iPhone. He beat and harangued the people who did.

"Do you see this? DO YOU SEE THIS? MY KEYS SCRATCHED THE SCREEN! TELL ME, BOB. DID YOUR MOTHER HAVE ANY CHILDREN THAT LIVED? I HATE YOU BECAUSE YOU'RE STUPID! MAKE THE SCREEN UNSCRATCHABLE OR YOU'RE FIRED!"

"...okay, Steve. I'll whip up a prototype that uses glass for the screen."

"No, someone else will. I just realized your harelip scar annoys me. You're fired."

"HEY, MIKE! I FIRED BOB BECAUSE HE'S STUPID! I TOLD HIM TO USE GLASS BUT HE DIDN'T, BECAUSE HE HAS A HARELIP!"

"...okay, Steve. I'll whip up a prototype that uses glass for the screen."

Then Nancy Pelosi shows up years later to take credit for it, because she saw on a spreadsheet that the government gave Jeff Han a grant once. Meanwhile, Jony Ives wins an award for inventing chamfered edges...

16. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Clearly you did not get the sarcasm.

My point was if you can ultimately make claims that someone/something else created something else.

17. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Pelosi is a stupid, statist bitch. Is anyone really that surprised?

18. SusanK macrumors 68000

We already new the Dems went crazy when they anointed HRC.

19. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Pelosi has been an idiot her entire life, and she just emphasizes this every time she opens her mouth. What this says about the people who keep voting for her, well you can guess how I feel about them.

The scary thing is some people believe the crap than falls out of her open mouth, and will fight for and justify her position.

20. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Just adding to it. We need a sarcasm button LOL

21. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

That's not true at all. There were a number of smart phones prior to the iPhone that didn't weigh that much or take up that much room. Including this one:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_Prada

But what the iPhone did, is refine the software side of things by quite a lot. Though even it was imperfect having slow 2g speeds and no camera flash. And there wasn't even an App Store when it was released!

22. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Pelosi's actual words:

Who "invented" the lightbulb; or the telephone; or the radio? Its a silly word, because all of those innovations - like pretty much innovation in the history of science and engineering - is built upon the work of scientists, engineers, and inventors who went before.

But thats not the point Pelosi was trying to make: her point is that Federally-funded research is responsible for much of the technology that we take for granted; and that drives a lot of the modern economy.

23. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Neither position is true.

The features of the iPhone would not exist without government research. The iPhone however, was not built by the government. It took both the government and the private sector to bring about the technology that we enjoy today.

24. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I prefer the more controversy-laden explanation, kthx.

25. cube macrumors G5

And Asians, British, Texas Instruments, Motorola, Nokia, ...