Nancy Pelosi's Favorite Word

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by obeygiant, Jun 2, 2010.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSko2ixEB8U

I cannot believe what I'm hearing/seeing from Pelosi. I'm not even sure it can be called pandering because its such a poor acting job. Apologies to any Pelosi fans out there but this is just bat****.

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What makes you think it's acting?

That's awfully cynical.

Are liberals incapable of religious belief?

3. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

No one said liberals are incapable of religious belief. But you'd have to be pretty gullible to think she believes anything she's saying. Not to mention its practically incoherent.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Why?

I hear conservatives talk about religion all the time.

Are they lying too?

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

They have to be. Their actions don't reflect any sort of respect for religious belief whatsoever.

6. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

I guess that would depend on the religion and denomination.

Though the ones I read about seem to subscribe to the same religion/denomination as Televangelists: "Do what I say, don't do as I do."

7. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Why is she so different from other believers? Statistics show that a large percentage of Americans believe in god.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

She's not. Does anyone really believe George Bush is religious? If you think he is, then I don't know why you wouldn't think she is. Personally, I think they're both full of s***.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

People are trying to make the best of the understanding that they have.

That doesn't make them liars.

It just makes them human.

Try to have a little compassion.

Try.

For your benefit... if not for theirs.

10. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

religion . . . drugs . . . insanity . . . alcohol . . . are some of the various ways that people deal with the absurdity of life.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hey- whatever gets you through the day. Just don't expect me to believe it.

My main point is- if people think George Bush is religious, it shouldn't be too hard to think Pelosi is too.

12. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

13. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Yeah, I think you're kind of missing my point here. Many people are religious and have sincere belief in what they say and choose to do. Thats perfectly fine with me. I'll even sit and listen and agree in some cases.

That specific person in that specific video is either lying, pandering, or is completely out of their mind. I'll concede that its just my humble opinion, but the video should at least get a "WTF" from any sane person.

14. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Well, she's always professed to being Catholic but I know a lot of Christians think that's a cult. You're biased because she's a liberal, but whatever . . .

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

She appears to lose her train of thought at one point, but the references to "the Word" are not foreign to Christians in general, and Catholics in particular. I would fundamentally disagree with her that we must somehow reference "the Word" for guidance of any kind related to public policy, but it's not like she isn't making sense; particularly if you subscribe to that belief system.

Is it pandering? Sure, but is that something unusual for a politician? Show me a politician who DOESN'T pander.

Besides, the people who would use this kind of thing to paint a Democrat in a bad light were the same ones declaring Bush's brilliance despite his tendency to pander to their basest instincts.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Did you give Bush or any other conservative a WTF when they spouted the same crap? Because if you didn't, you shouldn't give one to Pelosi either.

If you think any of them give one rat's a** about religion, well- they've fooled you pretty good.

17. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

If we want to have a talk about pandering, why aren't we talking about McCain? I'm surprised at his age he is still flexible enough to bend over backwards and kiss the farther right's collective ass. He's just as bad as Pelosi in the pandering, which as the speaker of the house of course she has to do. The nature of what you have to do to succeed in politics is disgusting.

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Never would have guessed that Pelosi was a ******* crazy religious nut. "My favorite word is "the word"" Wtf.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Is it any more bat**** crazy religious nutterism -- or greater pandering -- than announcing that your favorite philosopher is none other than one J. Christ?

21. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

You mean I can't post this Pelosi video here because I haven't posted other videos of conservatives in the same situation? If you like you can defer attention from Pelosi by posting videos of conservative politicians speaking in bits of incoherent pandering nonsense.

Just remember if she's completely serious about "the Word," it includes our favorite book Leviticus, and some of the contents of the book are at odds with her policies and constituent's will. Now you can choose to ignore those parts of "the Word" and continue to support Pelosi. No one could fault you because we all know that even some christians ignore bits and pieces of the bible that suit them or their outlook.

22. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I think it would be better if a politician's religious beliefs didn't dictate all their policies.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Damn near all Christians do it. Or do you know anyone who's stoned an adulterer lately?

24. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I may have gotten stoned with an adulterer...

25. Queso macrumors G4

Pelosi shouldn't eat bacon?