Nanny State.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MattSepeta, Oct 4, 2010.

1. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

"The Cincinnati Health Department will investigate the Cincinnati Reds for violations of the state smoking ban after people complained players smoked cigars indoors while celebrating their National League Central Division title Tuesday night.

A lot of players could be seen on TV smoking the cigars, and Reds owner Bob Castellini was passing them out. But video doesn't affect the investigation - the health inspector has to actually see someone smoking, said Rocky Merz, health department spokesman.

Five people called a statewide smoking ban complaint hotline, Merz said. Those complaints were sent to the city health department today for investigation. Castellini will get letter soon notifying him of the alleged violation."

To quote Jason Lewis: "What kind of pathetic, sick, loser nanny-state individual would, huh, how low do you have to be to do this? Obviously the smoke wasn't permeating through the television set so it has no impact on you, and the Reds don't care, they're having a ball, alcohol is everywhere, which is ok, how low do you have to be to call in to squeel on the reds?"

Could not have said it better myself.

I can not even imagine the sort of person that sees the Reds celebrating on TV, gets their undies in a knot over the cigars, frantically searches the web for some sort of person to report them to... Sickening :(

2. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Stop the presses, comment by Lloyd George reaches America.

3. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

4. Queso macrumors G4

The complaints are because sports stars are considered role models, and a tiny minority think they shouldn't be shown on TV smoking under any circumstances as it encourages others to smoke.

When a government agency receives complaints it needs to investigate. This does not mean anything other than they have to look into the complaints.

This really doesn't need a genius level mind to work out that it's a non-story. Five complaints out of however many hundreds of thousands, maybe even millions, watching.

Just a big old yawn of nothing.

5. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

You have entirely missed the point

6. Queso macrumors G4

I don't believe so. People (not always the same people) will complain about things they don't like. That's just part of living in a society. The apparatus of state has to investigate complaints, but this does not mean the outcome of that investigation must amount to anything. That's just part of life.

7. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

I have got to sort of agree with Queso on this one... The problem is not that someone called up and complained; there are idiots everywhere and any time you get hundreds of thousands of millions of people together there will be more than a few of them. The problem is that the nanny state government created a law against it in the first place, and that they were also going to proceed with an 'investigation.' The people in charge should know better.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The point being to just sit and complain without even considering thinking of a reasoning behind this?

9. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    What does nanny state mean to you I wonder?

Would you agree to seeing brutal BDSM played on your TV all afternoon?

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Like Obama not wearing a flag lapel pin.

How many people will get cancer from that?

11. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

This is not an example of a "nanny state". A nanny state wouldn't have needed anyone to complain. What we have here are some uptight citizens complaining and a police force following basic procedure.

12. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

So, Matt and Five, your point is that you think we live in a nanny state because we have indoor smoking bans? Which you oppose because you don't want the state interfering in people's right to smoke. Is that right?

13. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

If I take my kids to an indoor playground and I want to smoke, god dammit I should be able to. This is America.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Agreed. If it's a non-issue then the state would just drop it. The people complaining about this are idiots.

15. Queso macrumors G4

Which is most likely what will happen. In the meantime though they have to show they've at least looked into it. Otherwise the same complainers will complain that their complaints weren't treated as genuine.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's so petty though. It really is.

17. Queso macrumors G4

Yep, totally.

18. barkomatic macrumors 68040

In my experience, ex-smokers are the most aggressive at trying to get others to quit and not tolerating smoke no matter where they are. Kinda like how the most homophobic, rich, mega church pastors are actually themselves gay.

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Agreed. Nice on Queso :).

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Have you tried it?

21. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Haha sadly we've never met :(. Perhaps I came on a bit too strong?

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I saw some similar whining in the Sun about Wayne Rooney smoking and being a bad role model.

My thoughts were :rolleyes:, :rolleyes: and :rolleyes:.

That said the state should investigate this, so they can show they looked into the issues.