Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lokiju

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
I work in the corporate world. Just got a Nano over the weekend and when I was wearing my jeans, it was perfect to carry it by putting it in my coin pocket in my jeans. Here I am today in my dress slacks and button down shirt and am finding it more challenging to keep it on me for the pedometer function without having a small dedicated pocket.

Issues I want to overcome in a case solution if possible.

1: protect it from getting scratched up from other items in my right pocket such as keys and pocket knife. Protect it from getting scratched up or scratching my iPhone in my left pocket.

2: If I put my iPhone in my shirt pocket, then I can put the nano in my left pocket by itself and that solves the scratching issues but the nano is so slick against dress slack pocket material it feels like it could slide out when sitting down without me noticing. Some sort of way to make sure it doesn't leave my pocket without me knowing would be nice.

3: Protect against water. If I'm keeping this thing in my pocket all the time it feels like its just a matter of time before I forget it and it goes through the wash. Is there a form fitting waterproof grippy case other than a watch for these?

I think something that is either hard shelled and had a way to attach it to something else in my pocket like my keys could work.

Help my MR! I've been looking in person and online all weekend for the perfect solution without any success so far.

EDIT: I should note that I do not care about any solution that addresses headphone management. I only use it as a pedometer when it's in my pocket.

Last edited:

Artep

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2012
I'm wearing it as a watch.

May be geeky, but it's also practical. It's the one place I won't lose it.

lokiju

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
May be geeky, but it's also practical. It's the one place I won't lose it.

Issue with the watch solutions mainly are looking professional enough and being waterproof/resistant. I need to be able to wash my hands throughout the day without having to take it off or worry of breaking it or voiding the warranty.

What is everyone that wears them as a watch doing to prevent water damage from washing their hands? Do you take it off every time you wash your hands?

saraviamd

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I wish I'd done all that thinking before losing my shuffle 3rd gen when clipped on my jeans coin pocket. They just slip so easy I would not do the same with my nano.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Just clip in onto your belt. When the screen is off, you hardly even notice it. I guess if you have a brighter color, then it may be more noticeable. Silver, graphite, and blue nano's will blend into your belt.

I wear my nano every day and no one ever notices it.

NOTE - if your worried about scratches, just get a screen protector for it.

lokiju

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
I just ordered a case with basically a necklace made of silicone from ebay for just under $4 shipped.

Looks small enough that I think I can wear it under my dress shirt between it and my undershirt so it's not directly against my skin.

I doubt it'd show through the dress shirt also since it should lay just around where the button line is.

If it's terrible and not something I wind up wearing then at least its just $4 down the drain.

Going to see about the belt thing also. All my belts tend to be a bit wider than the typical dress belts though, won't fit on the one I'm wearing today.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Going to see about the belt thing also. All my belts tend to be a bit wider than the typical dress belts though, won't fit on the one I'm wearing today.

Regarding the belt ...

The nano's clip is very secure (not perfect, but secure). Even if the belt is wider than the nano's clip, it'll hold with reasonable security. However, if you care about such things, it may scratch up your belt a little, especially the inside of the belt (not typically a big deal, unless you wear reversible belts).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.