Nano Owners Sue Apple

merge

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2002
They have no merit. Apple has already responded with a fair solution.
You can replace it for free, requesting more than that is rediculous.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
said:
The plaintiffs are asking for damages including the price paid for the nanos, statutory and punitive damages, and attorneys’ fees. They are asking for a share of nano profits.
That seems like a lot to me... I sort of doubt that this will get as big as the battery issue class action law suite, though.

Hmm... would this new law suit take into account people who heard the initial reports and purchased materials to protect their nanos?

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
A paper towel! I'd hardly call that a "soft" cloth.

I can't even believe they're asking for a share of the profits. That's ridiculous and smacks of greed.

he wants that easy money
it's sad but it's true
everybody wants the most they can possibly get
for the least they could possibly do
they want that easy money
i don't understand
if you sceem and you plan you can't get your hands
on no easy money
--TS

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Good grief!
Will the insanity ever stop?

A share of the profits?? Ha! Ha!
Sounds like the music industry talking! They ought to just combine the lawsuits!

Woof, Woof – Dawg

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
merge said:
They have no merit. Apple has already responded with a fair solution.
You can replace it for free, requesting more than that is rediculous.
Wait?!? Did i miss something? If your nanos screen is scratched you can return it to the seller (in my case my local apple store) and get a new one? If so what do i have to do?

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
runninmac said:
Wait?!? Did i miss something? If your nanos screen is scratched you can return it to the seller (in my case my local apple store) and get a new one? If so what do i have to do?
I thought that applied to customers w/ the broken/cracked nano screens... I think the rest of the customers w/ scratched up nanos are outta luck for now.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
mainstreetmark said:
My 3rd Gen iPod has scratches on the screen, even though it's been in the case. I'm gonna go talk to a Lawyer about Apple and Belkin or whoever made my case. Yeah! Money!
I am not saying that the customers in this situation are correct, but I believe that their argument is that the nano scratches more easily than previous generations of iPods.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
As much as I love Apple, this class-action lawsuit is necessary. Paper towels should not easily scratch any electronic device meant to be held in one's hand. The fact that the nano scratches while something like a watch face does not, spells serious trouble for the music player maker.

Like I said before, Apple likes to screw up royally now and then. It's like they didn't learn from their 1G and 2G iPods.

Analog Kid

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2003
Does Microsoft, Dell or Sony get hit with these kinds of lawsuits?

I buy stuff all the time that breaks, or gets damaged somehow-er-other. Return it or suck it up, maybe decide you don't trust the manufacturer, but a lawsuit for something that isn't dangerous seems a little absurd...

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
Hmmm...

If the nano does get scrathed extreemly by a paper towel, then they have the right to sue. But I HIGHLY doubt it. If they do, then its oly on some, because my brother has a nano that seems plenty durable.

Keynoteuser

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2003
Columbus, Ohio area
huh?

How can someone with a sane mind buy a product, see it got scratched and then not only sue for that money back, but extra money on top of that...and then part of the PROFITS from the ENTIRE PRODUCT SALES? How could a judge NOT throw this out. I mean, that last part alone pretty much tells you they're trying to commit fraud against Apple by getting a lawyer to allow them to "steal" profits from Apple. "My iPod is scratched, so now I not only want my money back, but I want the money you made from all the other shmucks with scratched screens too!"

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I saw this "news" on Slashdot. Someone commented that they've never heard of anyone suing Casio after scratching their watch, so why should Apple be any different?

24C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2004
Lacero said:
As much as I love Apple, this class-action lawsuit is necessary. Paper towels should not easily scratch any electronic device meant to be held in one's hand. The fact that the nano scratches while something like a watch face does not, spells serious trouble for the music player maker...snip...
I don't dislike Apple either, but class actions are all the rage on your side of the pond. Paper towels come in all shapes, sizes and textures, just like loo paper in fact, so if you got a Nano what are you going to wipe it with? A wet one or 20 grit? :p
Sorry to be so petty, but my mobile gets scratched by being in my pocket, my watch gets scratched & bashed by being on my wrist, it's par for the course...you move, they wear and tear! As to Apple's material selection, apparently it's no different to 4G iPods and the class actions aren't looming for these, so doesn't that suggest these guys are onto a loser? :D

XNine

macrumors 68040
I agree that this should be thrown out. If you say that the nano is more prone to scratching your off base. Now, will it incur MORE damage because the screen is smaller, then the same damage to the regular sized iPods? Yes. Technically it will, because a scratch .5 inches long on a regular iPod is not a big deal, but on a much smaller screen, it appears to be more damage.

Bottom line, if you buy an iPod, protect it. If you don't protect it, its your fault.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
Thats rediculous! wanting a share of the companies profits! I can't believe some people, something like this would only happen in America! I hope they lose and have to pay a lot of money to the courts for waisting their time. Apple should just replace it for them, Like they said they would and throw in a case for it!

idkew

macrumors 68020
Lacero said:
As much as I love Apple, this class-action lawsuit is necessary. Paper towels should not easily scratch any electronic device meant to be held in one's hand. The fact that the nano scratches while something like a watch face does not, spells serious trouble for the music player maker.

Like I said before, Apple likes to screw up royally now and then. It's like they didn't learn from their 1G and 2G iPods.

some watch faces are made out of a hard crystal, others are glass.

neither is similar to plastic.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I don't see them getting what they are asking for, but I do see a little blue hyperlink at the bottom of the Apple homepage coming to a screen near you.