Nano-SIM and T-Mobile

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Prime85, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

I am planning on switching to T-Mobile when the new iPhone is released and i was wondering if anybody knows if T-Mobile will have the Nano-SIMS on launch date?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

My guess is unless T-Mobile gets the iPhone officially they won't have them. or they might have them if there is another phone that T-Mobile carries that uses them, but I don't know if any other phone even uses them.

3. Agent-P, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012

Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I think that the next iPhone will come to T-Mobile. If not, then I bet they'll carry the nano sim for people that want it. After all, they started carrying the micro sim before they had any micro sim devices just so that iPhone 4 users could bring their own devices to T-Mobile. And with the network refarming, iPhone users on T-Mobile will soon get full data speeds regardless if it's officially carried or not.

4. Prime85 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Prime85

I hope so, their family plan is so cheap! If they don't have the Nano-SIM at launch i guess i will just have to cut, and grind (since it is thinner) one of the other either a micro or mini sim.

5. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I plan on cutting down the SIM card to get it to fit in the nano SIM card slot :)

6. Azzin macrumors 68040

I don't think you'll be able to, as unlike SIM>Micro SIM, there's no "fat to trim".

7. Prime85 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Prime85

Maybe not with scissors but it should be fine with a sharp razor blade. Its the same chip just with less plastic

8. Azzin macrumors 68040

Good luck with that... ;)

[​IMG]

9. Prime85 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Prime85

should be easy. only thing im worried about is the thickness but hopefully they have them so i wont have to worry about it to begin with.

10. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Agreed! I'm on T-Mobile now, and I don't plan on switching any time soon. Where I live, my data speeds end up being faster than AT&T/Verizon/Sprint 3G pretty much all the time. Doesn't make sense for me to switch and pay more.

Challenge accepted.

11. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

No worries with the speeds either, They're working on enabling 3G on iPhones (as well as Lumia 900 and any other AT&T phone people take to T-Mobile :))

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hold on, your 2G iphone speeds on Tmobile USA are faster than AT&T/verizon/sprint 3G?

13. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Nah, those speeds come from my Windows Phone. I haven't had my iPhone for over a year now (used to have a 3GS).

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh I see:)
    I dont miss the old 2G days.

15. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Haha, me neither. Although, there were times that even my 2G speeds beat out Sprint 3G. Not sure if that's still the case of not.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Probably still holds.
    Sprints 3G is painfull:D

17. microsim macrumors newbie

at least the nano sim adapters are available already. seems like there are two types (www.nano-sim-adapter-shop dot com). just ordered a set to be on the safe side.

18. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

Please note that although you can trim a Sim/Microsim into a NanoSIM, you would have to take note of its thickness. If you shave one mm of the thickness of the SIM wrongly you might end up damaging your sim.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That sounds like a pain.
    So not only you have to cut around the sim but you have to shave the sim's thickness to make it thinner?
    Im positive Tmobile will make sure they have plenty of new nanosims to accomodate all their customers that will buy or upgrade to the unlocked new iphone.

20. Prime85 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Prime85

I agree, it would be very stupid of them to not be ready. Since they will earn many more customers and wouldn't have to worry about fronting the money to subsidize the phone.

21. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

I wonder if such cases requires Apple's permission? I mean, did T-Mobile ever seek Apple's permission in distributing microsims specifically to its customers for the iPhone? I guess not. But won't that hurt Apple's relationship with carriers specifically with AT&T who is the major GSM carrier carrying the GSM iPhone?

But still, if customers bought an unlocked iPhone it means they're free to choose any carrier they want. So I'm surprised if Apple even has a say on this.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why would Tmobile ask for permission?
    The microsim is a worldwide standard, any carrier can use it. Apple doesnt own the microsim or nanosim standard, it can be used by anyone and they have no say on it.

23. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

I was just wondering how would Apple react with T-Mobile starts distributing MicroSIMs to customers who want their iPhones on their Network when T-Mobile isn't a carrier officially carrying the iPhone.
    Your answer to my curiosity pretty much makes sense. If Apple even had the control to whether T-Mobile could distribute MicroSIMs that would be jawdropping monopolistic.

In any case, thanks for enlightening me on this. :rolleyes:

24. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Apple produces phones that work with international standards (GSM and UMTS).

They openly market that on the Apple Store website.

There's nothing Apple can do to stop T-Mobile customers using the iPhone, nor would it make any sense for them to try.

25. Prime85 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Prime85

Apple wants to sell as many iPhones that they can. T-Mobile having the sim cards helps them. Apple makes the $650 or more on the sale and then they make money on app purchases.