Napster Executive: 'It's Stupid To Buy An iPod' (mac360)

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Lets play a simple game, and ask ourselves if having ipod is stupid, why does everyone have them making it the best selling MP3 player :rolleyes: :p "Having napster is stuipid" :D

Rasmuskl

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2003
Bronx, New York
puckhead193 said:
Lets play a simple game, and ask ourselves if having ipod is stupid, why does everyone have them making it the best selling MP3 player :rolleyes: :p "Having napster is stuipid" :D
My Biggest problem with a statement like that and the recent Mac-Fan obsession with the iPod market share and domination is the way the argument is phrased.

Could this not then also be applied to Windows Domination. If windows is stupid, why does everyone have it.

Can we not just say that the iPod is a great piece of equipment, and that it appeals to most people, and wether you have one or not is a quistion of choice and preference, instead of intelligence or capacity for rationatl thought.

<disclaimer>
This is typed on a Dell running Windows XP, although the users personal computer is a G4 TiBook.
Certain brain synapses might be frayed due to unstable switches
</disclaimer>

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
Still, the battle isn’t going well. While traffic to the Napster web site increased 30-percent after the company spent nearly $2.5-million on a Super Bowl commercial, Apple didn’t spend a dime and traffic increased 170-percent due to the Pepsi-iTunes promotion.
that there was my favorite line...

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Man I'm getting real tired of all these people from, Napster, Real, Dell and that other mp3 player maker :mad:
If you have nothing good to say, then say nothing at all.

the_mole1314

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Akron, OH
dukeblue91 said:
Man I'm getting real tired of all these people from, Napster, Real, Dell and that other mp3 player maker :mad:
If you have nothing good to say, then say nothing at all.
Why? Apple disses them and Microsoft ALL the time! Remember the "Start Your Photocopiers Readmond"?

jchen

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2004
San Francisco
Tera's finally getting "with it"

My favorite quote...

"There is a tremendous amount of misinformation (not to mention misguided executives) in the tech world today. Mac users tend to be more discriminating, more thoughtful, do more research, than the average Windows user. Not to mention that we have more education, drive nicer cars, and have better sex lives.

Oh, we also have the iPod."

:)

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
the_mole1314 said:
Why? Apple disses them and Microsoft ALL the time! Remember the "Start Your Photocopiers Readmond"?
I think there is a slide difference in making a crack at someone and calling them stupid.
Especially when you are a company, that's not the way to get someone to try something new, when you just called them and your competition stupid.

Napster has about 250,000 customers using their services, so if you want to lure away some of the 10+Million from iTMS calling them names is not the way to go about ti.

tYNS

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2001
WOW!

I cannot believe this guys mentality? Did I read this right? They are essentially calling owners of ipod's stupid for buying them? WOW!

nothing like insulting your potential customers.

This guy reminds me of a bad car salesman.

"You're stupid, now come buy from us."

No thanks.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Rasmuskl said:
My Biggest problem with a statement like that and the recent Mac-Fan obsession with the iPod market share and domination is the way the argument is phrased.

Could this not then also be applied to Windows Domination. If windows is stupid, why does everyone have it.
Not to get into an argument but it wasn't until recently Apple moved into the "home". Apples were in offices, people in the media, graphic design..etc use them for work. There were no *good* games... At the time windose was more aimed toward home users. Now Apple is begining to have more games, and Apple's Ilife software, so now its ending up in the home.

tYNS

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2001
wow

I don;t know why, but I wrote feedback to napster. Being called stupid is something I don't take lightly...

I encourage all to do the same...

---------
I have just read an interesting article from which your CEO has claimed me to be stupid for owning an iPod.

I would just like to state that I do not believe this to be an intelligent comment to make to attract customers to your service.

I am both and PC and Mac user. The interoperability between my 2 machines is seemless with my iPod and the iTunes music store. Napster does not offer this interoperability with its service.

To me, this would be considered a flaw in your service, thus an unintelligent choice for me as a customer to use your service.

Perhaps instead of calling me and other potential customers stupid, napster should focus its efforts and money on making their service more friendly and versatile as the iTunes Music Store service currently is.
-----

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
Make your choice noticeable...

If these silly comments against iTunes users make you upset, simply go over to iTunes and find a couple of songs you've been thinking of buying. You get your song, and Napster gets the message.

Also, let's not act like this dork and badmouth anybody else's choices- simply highlight the positive aspects of iTunes and the ipod.

Napster will be gone soon.

Mainyehc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Lisbon, Portugal
tYNS said:
I don;t know why, but I wrote feedback to napster. Being called stupid is something I don't take lightly...

---------
I have just read an interesting article from which your CEO has claimed me to be stupid for owning an iPod.

I would just like to state that I do not believe this to be an intelligent comment to make to attract customers to your service.

I am both and PC and Mac user. The interoperability between my 2 machines is seemless with my iPod and the iTunes music store. Napster does not offer this interoperability with its service.

To me, this would be considered a flaw in your service, thus an unintelligent choice for me as a customer to use your service.

Perhaps instead of calling me and other potential customers stupid, napster should focus its efforts and money on making their service more friendly and versatile as the iTunes Music Store service currently is.
-----
Yep, and someone should point out to those morons that when Mac mini sales start surging, and Mac marketshare hopefully surges with it, they will be leaving a large market untapped by keeping Napster Windows-only. Ohh... I forgot... Most of those Mac mini-Switchers are "Stupid iPod users" already... :rolleyes: :D

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
the_mole1314 said:
welcome to the world full of hipicrical Apple zelots. The rules are simple

What ever apple says does is correct and apple is never wrong. even if what apple does is a blanted rip off or they are wrong

If some else even remotely bashes apple, does something that apple not doing, or even slightly copies apple they are idoits and wrong.

3rd Steve Jobs is god . Apple is god and must be worshiped.

There are reason why I think very low of the apple zeloats who can not step back and see it with out being bias to apple

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
tYNS said:

---------

-----

Some needs to point out that apple is starting to abuse it power it mp3 players and music store by refusing to play nice with their hardware. Apple is also in the wrong here because the are afraid of having to deal with real compition. if the itunes music store is so great prove it. Let the ipod work with your competiors. 2nd if the ipod is so great why dont you let itunes work with non ipods mp3 players and have the music store stuff play on all players.

Kagetenshi

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
Boston
Timelessblur said:
Some needs to point out that apple is starting to abuse it power it mp3 players and music store by refusing to play nice with their hardware. Apple is also in the wrong here because the are afraid of having to deal with real compition. if the itunes music store is so great prove it. Let the ipod work with your competiors. 2nd if the ipod is so great why dont you let itunes work with non ipods mp3 players and have the music store stuff play on all players.
They are proving it. CD stores still exist, and yet people are buying from iTMS, likewise other online music stores exist and yet the iPod is still top dog…

~J

micvog

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2003
Timelessblur said:
welcome to the world full of hipicrical Apple zelots. The rules are simple...
IMO, there is an important but subtle difference between an Apple exec saying "Redmond, start your photocopiers" and a Napster exec saying "Buying an iPod is stupid".

The Apple exec is making a marketing point in an attention-grabbing way. In this case, he is pointing out that Apple will be delivering in Tiger what Microsoft has promised in Longhorn way before Longhorn ships (e.g. Spotlight, fully 3-D accelerated UI, etc.). By the time Longhorn ships, it will be at best a pale copy of Tiger.

The Napster executive isn't making a marketing point - he is just personally insulting potential customers by calling them "stupid".

What I find most amusing about this is there is nothing Napster can do to save itself. Their music store is nowhere as intuitive as the iTMS, but even if they fixed that, the WMA players are way behind the iPod. The WMA player-manufacturers can't fix their problem by themselves - they need the music stores to improve. Apple controls the whole experience. This used to be a disadvantage, but over the past few years Apple has made it a competitive advantage and the whole PC industry would need to radically restructure to meet the challenge.

micvog

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2003
Timelessblur said:
The iPod works with competitors, including eMusic and MP3Music (or whatever that new service is called), and other MP3 players work with iTunes (mostly through 3rd-party drivers). But maybe, just maybe, the reason for the iPod's success is the integration between the iPod and iTunes, and Apple thinks that opening up the iPod would lessen this competitive advantage? If Apple doesn't, I do.