Narcissism actually produces results: The rise of the world changers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Hieveryone, Jun 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

"Big egos, big dreams, 'little respect for the rules'"

Thought this was a very interesting read. IMO, this isn't really narcissism, but rather more like a ton of self-confidence. Narcissism is considered negative, but was Steve Jobs' belief that he could change the world a negative thing? Not at all.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102734163

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

Actually not a bad read. But I can already see where this is going, my friend ;)

Keep in mind:

3. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah there are always the malignant narcissists too. I was reading about them yesterday. Apparently it's common when you are very powerful. Although, if you were very powerful there would be people trying to bring you down. So then you would kind of have to be heartless. And Meister, no I'm not going there again. Don't want to get in trouble.

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Everyone's a bit narcissistic. Like all things to do with human psychology (deja vu), it's graded on a spectrum, with people practically lacking a sense of self, living entirely for others on the left, and entirely self absorbed egomaniacs who'd probably push you in front of an oncoming train if it meant saving 5 minutes on their way to the office on the right. Most everyone falls somewhere in between these two extremes.

Being a bit farther over than most isn't necessarily a bad thing. They're the usual leader types. Self actualized, bit of an opinionated ***hole, but aren't entirely lost inside themselves to the point they're slaves to their own ego. It's when you reach this latter point that things quit being healthy, and start becoming a personality disorder.

...and unfortunately for us all, most people who exist on the darker end of the narcissism spectrum tend to be, rather ironically, lacking in self awareness, and don't realize how much of an intolerable presence they are.

So the question isn't are you a narcissist, because most of us are to some extent. It's how extreme of a narcissist are you?

5. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

So it's OK if you're an ****** and know it!!!

I feel much better know :cool:

6. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

That's the way I think of it too. Yeah, I'm an ***hole, but you know, I accept that about me. I'm pretty alright with it.

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Narcissists tend to be bullies, and my understanding is that bullying is a well discredited management style. I suspect 'productive narcissists' inspire people. In any case, the problems with CEO's and other members of the management class is that they engage in short-termism, increases their credibility for a short time, and then they move on before their short-sightedness and lack of consultation start damaging their former organisation.

8. Technarchy, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015

Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Well said. I think these so-called 'productive narcissists' work best in an environment where they have lots of skin in the game and are part of the company rather than your typical loot-the-company MBA Wall Street type that comes in, fires a bunch a people, pretends they made the company more profitable and then leaves with a massive bonus.

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

If this is the case why are we all still posting here?

10. vrDrew macrumors 65816

We wanted jetpacks and flying cars. We ended up getting Snapchat and Facebook.

Thanks a lot Narcissist techies.

Want to know who really changed the world? Norman Borlaug. Theres a name most people have never heard of. And yet probably a billion or two people literally wouldn't be alive if he hadn't done the work he had.

I like Elon Musk; Bill Gates; and (the late) Steve Jobs just fine. But lets not pretend narcissism is anything to aspire to. It isn't. It's barely tolerable in a genius. And trust me, Sunshine - you ain't no genius.

11. FieldingMellish Suspended

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Why does the thread title not acknowledge that there may be a distinction to be drawn between what are called 'productive narcissists' and 'malignant narcissists'?

Instead, the OP, who has something of a track record by now with having authored a long list of provocative and attention seeking thread titles, (narcissism, trolling, or an itch for attention that must be scratched) simply writes a thread title which seems to praise the whole idea of narcissism, without refining this definition.

True to form, one article is cited in support of this thesis.

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Why did no one upvote me for this? It was funny! I laughed so hard!

14. FieldingMellish Suspended

I enjoyed the levity. You've got silent supporters out there.

15. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

But what good is it if I don't know about it?

16. chown33 macrumors 604

Clearly, you need to banish some of your entourage.

17. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Someone needs to answer for this, that's for damn sure.

18. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

Didn't a fellow by the name of eric\ constantly post about how narcissism and greed were good?

19. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

But wouldn't you agree malignant narcissism at the very least benefits the narcissist?

Someone said George Soros is a malignant narcissist. But he's got billions of dollars, many nice homes, and young hot girlfriends.

My point is, narcissism helps the narcissist regardless of beneficial or malignant. It may benefit or hurt everyone else.

20. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

What's the point of being rich when you're suffering under the weight of your own delusions?

21. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Function under the assumption that you are the funniest person on this board. I'll grant you though that that isn't much of a compliment as most of us wear our underwear to tight.

22. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

If you have some proof to show that George Soros is "suffering from the weight of his own delusions", then you would have to ask him.

23. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

George Soros might not be suffering from NPD. He might just be a self serving ***hole.

Remember, there is a distinction between the two.

24. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

Obviously he would rather be self serving so that he can enjoy the perks of being extremely wealthy, than help the masses.

He doesn't owe anyone anything.

25. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Think you missed the point of what I was saying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.