Narcissism is increasing. So, you're not so special ...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Feb 13, 2016.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Amusing op-ed in the NYTimes. The link it is referring to is this one:

http://personality-testing.info/tests/NPI/

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/14/opinion/narcissism-is-increasing-so-youre-not-so-special.html

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Whenever some kid tells me they are a psychology major, I cross my legs, steeple my fingers, look at them intensely and ask, "How do you feel about that."

They always think I'm serious. :rolleyes:

3. FieldingMellish Suspended

Our Narcissist in Chief should take a look at that book.

4. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Can Trump even read at that level?

5. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Snark skills need serious work, here. This wasn't even remotely witty.

6. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I laughed.

7. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

This is not surprising at all. Growing up with smartphones and the Internet gives kids, teenagers, and young adults of this generation instant gratification.

The younger generation today was raised by the generation or two after WWII, Great Depression, etc. People I think we're probably a lot more grateful for the little things back then.

Reality TV drives me crazy. I think it usually shows a pretty poor model of how to represent yourself, promotes narcissism, and has zero value. As for the entertainment factor, why is Kim Kardashians life so much more interesting than your own?

8. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

rather be a narcissist than a timid person who everyone walks over

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Between being a doormat, or someone who's ego is so easily wounded, they have to obsessively work at projecting an image of confidence and assurance to compensate, I'd choose neither.

Narcissistic Personality Disorder is a...well, what it says it is.

10. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

i'd argue the 2 things you referred to are similar branches from the same tree

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Sorta. A narcissist might fear being seen as a doormat, and overcompensates thusly.

I don't think I'd want to live in a society where Cluster B is considered a list of positive personality traits.

12. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

The previous two posts don't seem witty at all. Can we focus on the issues instead of the purported peddlers of them, especially in the form of personal attacks against them?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 14, 2016 ---
    So who created those devices to full what precise need, again? Can't make a society and then blame people for living in it to the practical exclusion of other lifestyles. But there's an app for that... Even a decade ago, people who used pencil and paper to write calendar dates instead of on palm pilots or other modern electronic devices in front of job headhunters would see the headhunter then disqualify the applicant. I've seen it happen, I've heard stories. Not a fiction, unfortunately.

That generation got burned by the folks who wanted to screw them over for Woodstock. No big deal?

http://www.cracked.com/article/116_5-facts-about-woodstock-hippies-dont-want-you-to-know/
    #s 3 and 4 are the best...

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=1677

Well, she has more sex, plastic surgery, and is paid zillions of dollars to... given the definition of value, how does she contribute to society? I only know of her existence because someone said she's a relative of Jenner or had a sex tape "leaked" to drum up interest, or is someone rap guy's concubine or whatever...

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil