Narrow video angle

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kfergiez, Nov 23, 2011.

1. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

I was wondering if anybody knew why the viewing angle decreases when you switch from camera mode to video recording mode on iPhone 4. I don't like it.

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I think it's because video uses 'sensor crop' instead of sampling the whole frame. So it takes the middle 1920x1080 pixels of the camera sensor as the video instead of sampling every pixel of the sensor.

3. kfergiez thread starter macrumors 6502

kfergiez

That makes sense, but why do it in the first place?

P.S. It's an ip4, so only 720p recording.

4. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

When you're recording video, the iPhone zooms in the image to fill the display (because it's shooting in 16:9 and the display is 3:2 or whatever).

Double-tap the display when you're in video mode and it'll show the whole frame.

5. sammich, Nov 24, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2011

sammich macrumors 601

sammich

So, I did some (highly scientifical) testing to check this out for myself.

[​IMG]

I put my iPhone on the desk and taped some paper to the desk. Then I put it into each mode making sure it was only focussed on the wall, and then drew dots on the edge of the view. Then I joined the dots and measured it.

Maybe it'll help? :)

EDIT: The iPhone 4 doesn't have the video stabilisation, and I don't have a 4S to draw my pictures up with. Maybe someone can do it for comparison.

6. kfergiez thread starter macrumors 6502

kfergiez

aha... Well thank you for that. However, I still notice that the viewing angle is still slightly narrower. How odd.