Narrow video angle

kfergiez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
I was wondering if anybody knew why the viewing angle decreases when you switch from camera mode to video recording mode on iPhone 4. I don't like it.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
I think it's because video uses 'sensor crop' instead of sampling the whole frame. So it takes the middle 1920x1080 pixels of the camera sensor as the video instead of sampling every pixel of the sensor.

kfergiez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
That makes sense, but why do it in the first place?

P.S. It's an ip4, so only 720p recording.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
I was wondering if anybody knew why the viewing angle decreases when you switch from camera mode to video recording mode on iPhone 4. I don't like it.
When you're recording video, the iPhone zooms in the image to fill the display (because it's shooting in 16:9 and the display is 3:2 or whatever).

Double-tap the display when you're in video mode and it'll show the whole frame.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
So, I did some (highly scientifical) testing to check this out for myself.

I put my iPhone on the desk and taped some paper to the desk. Then I put it into each mode making sure it was only focussed on the wall, and then drew dots on the edge of the view. Then I joined the dots and measured it.

Maybe it'll help? :)

EDIT: The iPhone 4 doesn't have the video stabilisation, and I don't have a 4S to draw my pictures up with. Maybe someone can do it for comparison.

Last edited:

kfergiez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
When you're recording video, the iPhone zooms in the image to fill the display (because it's shooting in 16:9 and the display is 3:2 or whatever).

Double-tap the display when you're in video mode and it'll show the whole frame.
aha... Well thank you for that. However, I still notice that the viewing angle is still slightly narrower. How odd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.