NASA announces Space Shuttle's Fate.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by quagmire, Apr 12, 2011.

1. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

NASA announced that Atlantis will go on display at the Kennedy Space Center, Endeavor will be on display near the facility that built her in California, Enterprise will be transferred to New York City aboard the USS Intrepid, and Discovery will replace Enterprise in DC.

I am shocked that Houston didn't get a shuttle. I don't believe NYC has any major involvement with the space program. Enterprise should be going to Houston, IMHO.

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Was Enterprise a working shuttle or just a full size simulator?

3. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

4. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

Enterprise was a prototype. Columbia was the first fully functioning space shuttle.

Enterprise is currently in DC's Air and Space Museum near Washington Dulles. Discovery will be on display there now.

[​IMG]

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Something in-between.

B

6. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Well poop. Seattle isn't getting one. I'm miffed :(

Does the Intrepid have any room left?

7. Ivan0310 macrumors member

Ivan0310

Agreed. Houston should definitely have gotten one. It should have gotten a functional shuttle.

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I love that museum!

9. quagmire, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011

quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

Did the facility that built the other shuttle's build Enterprise? If so, then I would agree with Houston getting Endeavor and CA getting Enterprise.

DC makes sense in getting Discovery due to tourism( and guessing why NYC got Enterprise). Have NASA's most storied Space Shuttle in a location filled with other storied aircraft( Concorde, Enola Gay, SR-71, etc).

Of course I am being a bit biased because I am from DC. I want a functional Shuttle :D

10. Rodimus Prime, Apr 12, 2011

Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

not surprised it went to all blue states. Houston should of gotten one of them with its long history of the space program but in politics Dems are in power so Texas gets screwed.

Respect for our leaders went down even more for such a clear cut politcal rewarding. Politics should not of played a part in this but it did.
    Just more proof to show that Washiton is trying to punish any red states is can.

11. quagmire, Apr 12, 2011

quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

Virginia is a blue state( it's the physical location of the museum where it is going to)?

It is ironic as it was the Democrats that have essentially killed NASA( with the cancellation of Constellation). Though the death of NASA can traced all the way back to Nixon canceling the Saturn V in favor of the Shuttle( that decision was political too).

12. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Who gets the custom 747?

[​IMG]

I assume it's not this one that did a european tour in 1982 (i think), when I took the pic :)

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

please tell me why did Houston not get a shuttle and why only states No red state got one of the 3.

Florida should get one no argument there. But for the last 2 why did they go to 2 very strong Blue state and the other one (Florida is a swing state)

The parts of the consolation programmed not scrapped were mainly ran in a Blue state.

This part of Nasa is pretty clear another example of punishment.
    Please give us one good argument why a Shuttle should not come to Houston. The City that is known as Space City.
    As I said before this just reduces my faith in the goverement even more. It is pretty clear who we have in office is just the same crap as before with a new face. Common sense has gone out the window a long time and they are all about keeping themselves in office.

Thank you again Washiton for making Texas even stronger red state. Keep setting back the democrate movement here. I willing to bet that is is up to 20 years backwards now due to these crappy moves.

14. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I agree Houston should have gotten a Shuttle. I really don't know why NYC got a Shuttle besides the amount of tourists going through NYC.

15. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

I don't know a lot about the US, but from the a UK point of view Houston always will be linked with space. Seems daft not to have one there.

Mind you I thought it was a good idea to keep Concorde in the UK once it retired, well we seem to have kept 2, but the other 4 seem to have travelled a bit. Nice of British Airways to give away an aircraft funded by UK tax payers.

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

And this is why I hate our goverment and our current system. All this does is give GOP next time they are in power (which will happen) the excuse to punish any blue state is wants. They can say LOOK LOOK they did it 2.
    Dems had the chance to try and take the higher ground but instead they choose to go against it and punish states. The people suffer for their stupid gains.
    Better would be reach out to the deep red states and slowly win them over. Take an extra set here and their and you might start winning elections in votes.

This just made bad things worse in Texas as the GOP is doing a lot of damage here and crap like this just lets them get away with more. The palitions are not humans. They are scum and we would be better off if they were all lock away and hell put them in a zoo so we can watch them fight like the animals they are. Take away there power to destory lives for thier little petty games

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Christ on a cracker, they are going where the most people will see them.

And NYC is major in that area.

Yes, Houston did provide major service to the program, but how many people would see it there?

18. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Seattle is getting an actual working training simulator. The actual one that astronauts use. :D I just hope that it will be working and not just for display.

Oh, and with this me and of course kids will be able to enter. Unlike the real shuttle which will be untouchable.

19. MacbookAlum1536 macrumors regular

MacbookAlum1536

You realize that Texas is one of the three most populous states in the Union, right? New York has absolutely no history with the Space Shuttle, Texas should have gotten it not three eastern cities.

20. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

DC gets Discovery because it is the Smithsonian, who get all of the firsts (the Wright Brothers first airplane, Charles Lindberg's Spirit of St. Louis, The Apollo 11 command module, etc.) It is the official museum of the United States and funded by taxpayers, so it gets first dibs on anything built with taxpayer money.

Is the Concorde in the Smithsonian a BA one or an Air France one? I thought I remembered it being an Air France one, but it has been several years since I was there.

21. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I can see why it would be questioned that Houston didn't receive the shuttle, but I actually kind of agree with you here. If they actually want people to see the shuttle putting it on the Intrepid would be better. I imagine that way more people would get the opportunity to see it.

I've been in Houston for 5 years and have never once been to NASA (I actually only have a vague idea where it is located). Growing up in NY though I've probably been on the Intrepid 20 times.

Shouldn't the point be about giving the most people the opportunity to see it? If so, then I have no problem with it being in NY.

22. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Houston is better known internationally than locally.
    Plus Houston has huge number of people in it. People in NYC are not that far from the one in DC. For someone in Houston they have 1/2 across the country to see one.

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, I do, but how many out-of-state visitors do you have every year?

Correct, just millions of visitors every year. Many of them from over-seas.

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Damn right since blue states pay way more than red states.

25. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

But how many Houstonians actually go to it? We're not talking about locals here, we are talking about the number of people that would actually get a chance to see it...tourists. And hands, down, that would be NY. You can't tell me that more foreigners choose to come to Houston than NYC?

I mean really, what the heck is there to see here?