NASA budget Vs. Military budget

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bobob, Jul 14, 2010.

1. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

[​IMG]

2010 NASA budget = $18.724 billion
    2010 Military Budget = $1.03 trillion

I realize space exploration is out of fashion these days. Most people I talk to seem to think it's a waste of money. But being an oldtimer, I remember the glory days of NASA with the triumph of the manned moon landing program. Back then, I fully expected us to go on to sending manned missions to Mars and beyond by now. The robot ships and rovers are nice to see, but I wish our species had retained it's drive for ambitious human exploration. And I do understand that war is back in fashion, and the military budget creates lots of jobs and serves it's function in mineral rights acquisition, etc., but when I see it beside the puny amount spent on NASA, it just makes me sad.

2. Queso macrumors G4

What makes me far sadder is the absolutely ridiculous amount the USA spends on its military. $1,030,000,000,000 every year??!?! Utterly out of proportion to any threat real or perceived. That level of spending will destroy your country faster than any external threat.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Nasa's problem is they piss away millions on paper, then a new administration walks in and tells them to build a different rocket, this has happened over and over and over so we have mounds of paper and no rocket meanwhile the Russians have perfected a nice little rocket to orbit. As far as the military industrial complex goes there will be endless wars as long as our govt and these corporations sleep together. They will make sure of it. Just look at the past 70 years, allways a war on something or somewhere. Nasa is simply a political ran body loaded with the pork. 30 years of shuttle and nothing waiting but more paper.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

In that military budget there are also wages for thousands of researchers and workers and hundreds of companies, not to mention money and pensions for soldiers active and retired. As much as I'd like to trim the military budget, not all of it goes to blowing things up and they do quite a bit of "space stuff" themselves.

5. Shivetya macrumors 65816

NASA's budget is nothing more than an accounting error. Congressmen regularly get more pork in a year than NASA gets as a whole.

Short article, note the links to editorials in the first paragraphs, showing what is being done and what needs to be done to curtail the current defense expenditures

http://budgetinsight.wordpress.com/2010/07/13/what-is-a-strong-defense/

6. Queso macrumors G4

At least 75% of it is probably paying the healthcare costs for veterans :D

7. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The funniest part is that below the clocks showing all those various debts... is a link to mortgage/loan calculator.

And we thought oil was addicting! :rolleyes:

9. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

The human race doesn't stand a chance if we can't put aside our differences for a generation and head outward. Our rate of population growth is unsustainable by one world, but is totally sustainable as long as we increase our available real estate (off world colonies) at the same pace as we feel the need to reproduce.

That said I totally support increased military spending beyond all reasonable limits and hope the human race bombs itself into the pavement before we have a chance to get out and pollute the rest of the galaxy with our disgusting self importance. Humanity is a mold and should be eradicated. Hopefully we exhaust ourselves before infecting other worlds.

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Yes we do not a self sustaining colonies on other worlds because as it stands human population is reaching the limited of what the world can feed.
    Population size is limited by food supply.

11. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

Rock contains water, and wheat, corn and potatoes can all be grown hydroponically. Just because we aren't doing it now doesn't mean it can't be done, and just because we can't afford to put the kind of money into research that would be required to learn how doesn't mean the money isn't there. It's just being spent on The War instead, which is totally fine by me as long as it means we don't get off world.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

http://www.ted.com/talks/hans_rosling_on_global_population_growth.html

Very interesting talk (a bit dumbed down unfortunately, but its for comedic effect) on what drives population growth and what we can do about it.

Now, on to the budget. I'll never understand the mentality that some here have that we must cut government spending because there is pork left and right. At the same time, however, any cuts to the military spending is viewed as making the country unsafe.

Surely, see as its just a branch of government, the military has tons of pork, overdue and over budget projects, etc. I'd love for this administration to go through all of the future projects and find ways to cut money. We should have listened about the complex when we got the chance, America's jobs rely far too much on building weapons for wars that should never be fought.

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

personally I almost feel that NASA budget should just be put under the military spending and it would be less damage by political whims.

The Military has lots of projects that have ZERO interested in defense and nothing more than pure science. Mind you it is minor.

NASA just gets screwed over by policial whims. Conolation money wasted due to it being canceled is just another example in a long list.

14. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Agreed with you. If we were to adopt a slightly more non-interventionist international policy and keep our troops at home our military budget could be cut by over 50% I would imagine, without any real "security" concerns arising.

Then again, I'm no politician so what do I know :p

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm in complete agreement with you. And yes, we aren't politicians, so there probably is something we don't know;)

16. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Yep

We should only intervene for MASSIVE human rights violations, ie; Nazi Germany type situations, or when we are attacked (clearly.)

Enough democracy-building. We cant spend ourselves into the ground trying to promote what we have, all the while destroying what we have by spending money we don't have :eek:

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. However, in the opposite tact, some people think that cuts should only come from the military budget and everything else is sacred.

I'm not opposed to cutting the military budget as long as it is not the only place where cuts are made.

18. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Cutting the military budget is something long overdue. I don't see a forseable threat to the US. (Like who is going to come down with 1,000,000 soldier into US soil or send a nuke to the US when we could easily retaliate?)

Seriosuly, cutting down doesn't mean less safety.

19. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

And it is doing a wonderful job at that already. We are ruining ourselves and our children through our love of weapons. Will we wake up one day? And will it be too late?

I find this all very sad.

20. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

This sounds like the 70's all over again with the war and nasa budget. I bet if vietnam had never occured we would most likely have commercialized space and space travel would have been common place by now.

But just like nasa's budget got cut then because of war..The same thing happens again.

21. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Need to send this to every bought off congressman & representative ? guess that means them all. except for that Greene guy from south carolina ....so far.:eek:

22. djellison macrumors 68020

Are you talking about the recent cancellation of the Constellation program? (Which for many reasons I think is a damn good idea)

Because you know the NASA budget was INCREASED by about $1B/year at the same time, right?

The new budget has been really very very badly publicized. The right have misrepresented what the budget plans to do and the problems it trys to solve. Unsuprising given that the problems were caused by the previous administration.

Both things still to pass through Congress, however.

23. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

Yes but i was also referring to how NASA's budget got cut during the vietnam war. That was the reason exploration on the moon stopped in the 70's

24. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

The new budget has effectually killed human space flight end of story.

Congress has canceled multiple shuttle replacement projects. Shuttle is being retired and guess what no replacement is even on the drawing boards.

Russan raised the how much they were charging Nasa to send an Astronaut into orbit from 25 mil to 50 mil because the shuttle was being retired and the US has no way to send its own. I am willing to bet they will raise it even more now that there is nothing on the book to replace the shuttle with.