NASA Loses Apollo Mission Tapes

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 13, 2005
Right. Those "One small step for man" tapes. Just kinda ... misplaced 'em.

Says a very mellow federal employee:

Dude Not in Charge of Finding the Tapes said:
"We haven't seen them for quite a while. We've been looking for over a year and they haven't turned up."
So, I lost my wedding ring for like two hours yesterday. And I was freaking out. And this is how NASA reacts when they lose one of the most important recordings ever?

Link, anyways ...

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
A lot of people move in and out of some of those areas, real easy to walk away with a bunch of stuff.

Likely it is in a private collection now.

Of course look at George Lucas, sends Star Wars to the salt mine for longterm storage -- but they forgot to check to see if the film was processed correctly, oops.

lurcher

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2004
England
They lost them deliberately because they are scared of the the public getting hold of the original tapes, which showed they were in fact being followed by other 'objects'. Only a tiny percentage of the full tapes were released at the time. Now the public want them all because they have heard rumours of what exactly went on up there, so they have convieniently misplaced them :rolleyes:

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
lurcher said:
They lost them deliberately because they are scared of the the public getting hold of the original tapes, which showed they were in fact being followed by other 'objects'. Only a tiny percentage of the full tapes were released at the time. Now the public want them all because they have heard rumours of what exactly went on up there, so they have convieniently misplaced them :rolleyes:
I wouldnt be surprised, seems the U.S. govt has gone to great lengths to eliminate any UFO related evidence. There is a lot film from fighter planes that we will never see. Its a regular pattern for our Freedom & Truth loving Govt. More then 1 Astronaut has testified before Congress that somethings up there.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
Funny thing is that Armstrong botched the quote as he descended from the ladder of Apollo 11's Lunar Excursion Module (LEM) and stepped onto the lunar surface. It was supposed to be "One small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind" :eek:

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Cooknn said:
Funny thing is that Armstrong botched the quote as he descended from the ladder of Apollo 11's Lunar Excursion Module (LEM) and stepped onto the lunar surface. It was supposed to be "One small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind" :eek:
From the CBC

When Neil Armstrong became the first person to walk on the moon on July 20, 1969, everyone back on Earth heard the following crackle over their televisions and radios:

"That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."

But since "man" in this context (without a "the" or an "a") means all human beings, his sentence really says: "That's one small step for everybody, and one giant leap for everybody."

It's certainly not what the Apollo 11 commander intended. More important, he later insisted it's not what he said. When Armstrong got back home and saw the mission transcript (as well as some newspaper and magazine coverage of his adventure), he told reporters that he had been misquoted.

NASA concluded the "a" got lost in atmospheric static, the official record was changed and many news organizations ran a correction, including the New York Times on page 20 of its July 31, 1969, edition. After pointing out that Armstrong had requested the revision, the paper embraced the extra word without qualification: "Inserting the omitted article makes a slight but significant change in the meaning of Mr. Armstrong's words, which should read: 'That's one small step for a man, one giant step for mankind.'"

Wait a minute. Small step, giant step? Is this right? Nope. It turns out that while publishing a five-paragraph correction outlining why an "a" was being added to a line that will be cited for generations, the Times turned "giant leap" into "giant step" by mistake. A slight stumble, to some. An astronomical bungle, to others.

Meanwhile, many people continue to say and write "man" not "a man" when quoting Armstrong, either because of habit or because that's what their ears hear when the tape is played. Several big-name reference books, such as Encyclopaedia Britannica, have settled for square brackets:

"That's one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind."

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Wouldn't 700 boxes of tapes sort of........leave a BIG FOOTPRINT?! And they've been looking for them for over a year? That's one, small stretch for man, one giant lie to mankind. Something's not quite right about this.

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2005
Colorado Springs / Ohio
...Link, anyways ...
The link isn't working for me. "Page Not Found."

[EDIT] Just noticed that the original post is from last year. That explains the page not working.

There was a show on National Geographic or Discovery that explains the conspiracy theories. Take a look at it.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
According to an Australian programmer (who works on ways for the handicap to use computers) the "a" is there, it was just rendered inaudible to the human ear due to the tech used back then. Link

Considering the first link was to a "documentary" on FOX (which as we all know brought us the riveting Alien Autopsy special hosted by Jonathan Frakes) I'm afraid that effects the credibility of your other thinks in a negative fashion. As a consolation prize though I think I can make you a great deal on a bridge over in NYC if you are interested.

Lethal

quagmire

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2004
In the first video I can probably kill one of the "reasons" why it is fake. They mention the flag waving in space. The guy was handling it making the flag wave. Since there is no friction in space, there was no force stopping the flag from waving. That is why the 2nd astronaut stopped the flag from waving. I didn't bother watching the other videos.

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
I think it is clear what happened to the tapes...

2012 the Chinese will go to the moon and I would wager that they have the tapes and that the majority of the equipment to do the job will match the Apollo equipment with some modern updates...

Maybe the only reason that NASA was looking for them was to remember how to do it for their new initiatives...I mean we go from a capsule on a monsterous rocket to the space shuttle and now they are going back to the capsule on massive rocket idea - going back in time it seems...I guess I figured aftert he space shuttle there would be some kind of technological leap in the last almost 40 years that would preclude us from having to go back to capsule, but I digress...

Anyway, the Chinese have the tapes - it is like training for them...;)