Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

csubear

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2003
Okay here is the set up:

1.25DP mirror door. OS 10.3 client

I need to get 10.3 client working as a router but i would very much like to keep DHCP off. The only way that i have been able to get NAT to work is by turning on Internet connection sharing.. but this also turns on DHCP. This computer is on my universities network, and i know that the IST department here would not like a rouge DHCP server on their network. Any idea on how to get this to work. I want to be able to do this with out buying something. Any ideas or is panther client limited in this respect, and i should go buy server?

rjrufo

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2002
Boston
I believe that the only way to do that would be to use Terminal and do some command line editing of your ethernet card. I don't know exactly where you would look, since I'm not that familiar with OS-X's unix underpinnings, but on a typical unix box, it should be /etc/rc.conf.

Anyone else have any other ideas?

BTW, trying to steal my sig?:p

csubear

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2003
I've been screwing around with alot of files. I though that it might be in xinetd stuff buts its not there. I found some stuff in netinfo.. but every time i take en0 out of the dhcp and reboot it just comes back. I also mess with plist. it was that NAT plist. i tried to enable NAT with out the internet connection sharing on but it did not work.

Sorry about the sig. :D Not trying to copy

rjrufo

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2002
Boston
I've never tried it on mine, and don't want to screw things up, but I'll look into it a little more this weekend. I know there has to be a way, but OS-X seems to be a little different in the way it handles stuff like that. Maybe someone here has an answer, but for now, I don't.

As for the sig, I was kidding. I think it's cool that you switched. I switched about 2 years ago, and like my sig says (like yours), I'll never go back. OS-X can do everything that I used to do, but has a sweet GUI to go along with it.

I'll get back to over the weekend if I find something for you.

csubear

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2003
thanks man. you know it might just be one of the short commings of running client. There should be a way to do it, but i have yet to find the configuration file.

rjrufo

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2002
Boston
csubear,

As I was looking through some stuff about your question, I got to thinking... (sometimes that could be bad). I also had a few too many beers last night to think straight.

But what exactly are you trying to do? It seems to me that you are trying to set up a smaller LAN within the larger LAN - in a sense making the mother LAN a WAN. And that's what got me thinking, if you are connected to the campus network, and assigned an IP through that by DHCP, you wouldn't need to disable your DHCP to have other computers sharing your connection. You'd show up as one computer to the network while hiding the others.

Does that make sense? Or am I off the mark?

csubear

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2003
I had that setup for a while. I had two nic cards, one connected to the campus, and the other connected to my internal network. Worked great, untill i put a large load on the internal network card. I was a cheap $15 nic i picked up at microcenter, and anytime that i put a large load on it the card would simply stop working. So.. i got rid of it. Now i have one network card, and an alias to that network card. It is connected to the internal network, and the campus network through our switch. But.. i don't want my internal computers picking up ips from the campus DHCP. I have a need for static ips in my internal network. So.. I have the main server getting my ip for the campus server, and the aliais has an 10.0.1 ip. I then set up my clients with the 10.0.1 ips with the my server as a router and DNS. Now ever thing works great as long as i have the internet connection sharing started. But i don' t need DHCP. Well thats the story

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.