Nate Silver: GOP has a 3 in 4 chance at winning the Senate

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Nov 4, 2014.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

sweet, the party of "no" or better yet, the party of "not when a democrat is in office" will make all the difference in the world .

3. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Are you ever satisfied?

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

When the Republicans take over all we're gonna see is 2 more years of gridlock.

Won't be any different at all.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Depends on what I just did. or who I did it with

----------

Perfect excuse for the democrats. Then again is there money to accomplished anything? What do you think will be proposed that will not get accomplished?

6. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

That's what I keep saying. In the grand scheme of things, this election is irrelevant regardless of the outcome. Everyone needs to forget about today and start setting their sights toward 2016.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Will you be satisfied then?

8. 0007776 Suspended

My guess is that nothing much will get proposed to begin with as the GOP has yet to come up with any solutions to anything but screaming about repealing Obamacare. I'm sure they may have some other ideas about to run a country, but so far it seems as if the position that the GOP has taken is that instead of telling us what they will do if elected they are saying that we have to elect them to find out what they will do.

9. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

2016 will be an interesting election: a pro-war, Wall Street-owned, corporatist 1%er running against whoever the GOP decides should lose to Hillary.

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Not an excuse. Republicans have done nothing but say NO for 6 years.

Turnabout is fair play.

11. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I know people keep assuming this, but I'd be surprised if she ended up being the one.

A lot can happen in 2 years.

12. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

I believe she fully intends to run but yea, she could decide not to run for whatever reason over the next couple years. However, if she does run she will almost certainly win.

13. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Agreed.

Which is why I'd like to see someone else run.

14. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

The Clintons gave birth to the republican revolution, and the Neocon movement, and 8 years of Bush.

Lots of the people hate the Clintons, and REALLY don't like Hillary.

I wouldn't bank on Hillary's rise.

15. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Hillary will win because she's the evil of two lessers. I mean, who the heck is the GOP going to run against her? Ted Cruz? Blobster Chris Christie? Jeb Bush? With the exception of Rand Paul, I don't see anyone on the radar who has a snowball's chance beating Hillary or any other Democrat for that matter. The GOP needs to lose a couple more election cycles before they marginalize their lunatic Tea Party base and become competitive again. IMO, of course.

16. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

I do think two years of attempted Republican obstruction and/or overreach will do wonders to motivate the Democratic base in 2016. I'm convinced the rise of the Tea Party in 2010 helped get Obama reelected in 2012.

And just to point out a historical trend, in the past 6 presidential elections (since 1992), Republicans have won the popular vote only once.

17. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

If she runs, Hillary will win (barring something major happening in the next 2 years).

That said, I'm not convinced she will win a nomination. As Technarchy said, a lot of people hate the Clintons, including many democrats. In 2008, many thought she would be a shoo-in as well. And look how that turned out.

18. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

19. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

The "Clinton Baggage" makes it easy to snatch the rug out from under Hillary, as Obama has proven.

You get a Ben Carson, riding the lukewarm reception to Obamacare, and straddling the libertarian/establishment line and it would be problematic for the Clinton machines.

Though, we know a GOP NEOCON establishment will get their man, and everyone hates those people these days too, so who the hell knows :p

As much as I despise Hillary, there is no way I will ever support an establishment NEOCON. That will never happen.

20. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I fear Nate is going to be proved right again.

And its a real shame. I find it hard to express the frustration I feel at my fellow Americans. Most of them voting against their own best interests. Or - worse - too lazy to go out and vote at all. Leaving our Nation's future in the hands of bitter old people. And so any chance we had of pushing our economy or society forward is pretty much dead for at least the next two years, and indeed we'll be lucky to hold on to the progress we have made.

What happens if one of the liberal Justices on the Supreme Court dies or retires? What chance does any Obama nominee, short of a raging Conservative, have of getting confirmed?

I keep hoping that the demographic forces that were supposed to start turning Texas and Georgia, as well as other parts of the old Confederacy, "blue" start working.

21. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Until we can get money out of politics, it's just going to be more of the same.
    A good first step would be to reverse the citizens united ruling.

22. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Diebold has it covered in case the Dems should trend towards winning anything.

23. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Two neocons ran in 2012 which is why I cast my vote for Gary Anderson. More than likely, we'll have two more running in '16.

24. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Depends.

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

you are too young for them :p
    Ron Paul/Gary J had my vote last few rounds.