National Geographic on Zinio? Too bad, no retina for you

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PrayForDeath, May 2, 2012.

1. PrayForDeath macrumors 6502

I made the mistake of subscribing to National Geographic's magazine through zinio, only to find out that all the images appear pixelated on my new ipad.

What pisses me off is that before subscribing, they showed me a preview of the magazine in non-interactive form (like PDF) and it looked crystal clear, and I was able to zoom in on everything. It was clearly scanned at a very high res.

However, after subscribing, Zinio downloaded the 'interactive' version, which looks like ass (no retina support), and there doesnt appear to be a way for me to see the non-interactive version.

The official National Geographic app was updated with Retina support (for future issues), and A new issue came out yesterday, so I thought maybe it will have high res assets in Zinio, but nope, it looks just as pixelated as the old issues. Guess retina issues are only available on the official nat geo app.

Is there any way to cancel my Zinio subscription?

2. HepiZA, May 4, 2012
    Last edited: May 4, 2012

HepiZA macrumors newbie

I to, did the exact same thing. Was completely wowed by the preview of the April NGM issue and then subscribed to the mag, and was not wowed by the pixilated images of the May issue.

What I did see was that some of the non-photo graphics were in hi-res and all of the text that wasn't on a photo also was retina. So there clearly is "retina support" for some of the issue, just not the photos which take up half the mag.

I have a couple questions. To those who subscribed to NGM on Zinio before the current issue. Was the mag like the preview where it was similar to a highres PDF that you could pinch to zoom, or was it the interactive form like the may issue?

Secondly, to those who have the official NGM app, are the images in the May issue retina, or is it also just the text in retina?

3. ZipZap macrumors 601

Zinio customer service is very slow to respond.