National Geographic Presents 'Killing Jesus'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by JamesMike, Mar 4, 2015.

1. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

On the 29th of March, National Geographic will present 'Killing Jesus', a Bill O'Reilly book, a interesting feature of the TV movie is Jesus is played by a Muslim. I'm sure that will stir the pot a bit.

2. rei101 macrumors 6502a

He is an actor, that is his job and that is why is called "acting", bad would be to have a Christian playing the roll of Jesus because that would be discrimination against other actors based on their religious believes.

3. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Whose pot?

Maybe it matters to you, but I don't think audiences do background checks on the ethnicity of actors. Not relevant so long as the guy doesn't have blond hair.

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Bigots and those with a vested interest in perpetuating various social/political/religious conflicts.

5. sim667 macrumors 65816

Maybe you'd like to tell us how you feel about it, rather than posting something you think will start and argument, and then assuming the Michael Jackson with popcorn position?

6. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

BTW, Jesus was a jew and I suspect it would be hard to find a jewish actor to play the role of Jesus.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Unfamiliar with the book, I looked it up.

[​IMG]

I thought the title was a little odd.

But then I saw O'Reilly has turned killing into a franchise with, Killing Patton, Killing Lincoln, and Killing Kennedy.

Dude. What's up with all the "killing"?

I'm sure Bill thinks it's cute.

8. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The only thing O'reilly contributes to these ghost-written books is his name.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'll bet O'Reilly helped come up with the title.

He probably wanted to call it Eviscerating Jesus, or Blowing Kennedy to Bits, or maybe Pulling Out Patton's Toe Nails One-by-One ... but the editors finally talked him into just accepting "Killing".

I'm sure it was a little bit of a letdown.

10. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

It wouldn't matter if the actor had blonde hair or not. They can always use a wig. Daenery Targaryen in Game of Thrones is blonde but the actress who plays her isn't.

The only time I had issues with the ethnicity of an actor was when the Duke (John Wayne) played Genghis Khan. A white guy was SOOOoOooo convincing as a Mongol warlord especially with his drawl.:rolleyes:

11. vrDrew macrumors 65816

How about the time Sean Connery was made up to look "Japanese" in You Only Live Twice?

Admittedly, it was part of the plot line (rather than expecting us to believe Sean Connery really was an Asian person) - but the whole thing is so a) unnecessary and b) ridiculous it has to rank as one of the most cringe-worthy scenes in all movie history.

12. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Peter Ustinov was a most authentic Charlie Chan.

----------

Sean Connery in Zardoz was far more cringe-worthy.

13. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Oh oh... It was the Romans, in Jerusalem, with the Crucifix!

14. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The title and the author immediately make me think of anti-semitism.

15. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

What happened to National Geographic, anyway? Their magazine used to be great (maybe it still is; I haven't subscribed in years) but many of their television programs are full of hack pseudoscience, near-reality shows, and un-critical reporting. In some respects they're not much better than the Discovery channel.

16. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

Bill O'Reilly is getting called out on all the false stories he is claiming he reported or was in on. easy to prove ones where he was not where he was saying he was. So he is not exactly a trust worthy fellow.

17. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

In their quest for ratings, the various "educational channels" sacrificed any and all credibility and dignity they once had.

18. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Telling the truth was never a requirement at Fox News. Their viewers are only concerned about people telling them what they want to hear and anything in conflict with that is dismissed as lies spread by the liberal media. Fox News is a bubble of willful ignorance.

19. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I remember when the History Channel had actual history on it. Now it's all ancient astronauts, reality TV, and hoogiedeboogedy.

And The Learning Channel? Honey Boo Boo. What the hell am I learning from that other than some people look like ham?

20. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

This might be number one:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1nz8w9_mickey-rooney-mr-yunioshi_people

21. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I don't think people get all that invested in the actors that play Jesus.

Max von Sydow is Swedish.
    Robert Powell is English
    Jim Caviezel is Catholic & American

As long as the depiction is good, people really don't care.

Bad depictions get skewered

[​IMG]

22. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Meaning, as long as it is ok with the christians, no one will have a problem with it.

23. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Meaning bad depictions get skewered.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

My 600-lb Life teaches you that you don't want to be 600 lbs.

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I've noticed this as of late, they've become essentially a PR branch of the US military.

Look at all the Ra-Ra "inside look" shows they have on military craft and operations. Note that for ANYONE to get footage inside and with cooperation from the military they have to have the footage (and therefore tone) of the show/movie approved otherwise they get nothing.