National Guard Troops Denied Benefits After Longest Deployment Of Iraq War

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by solvs, Oct 8, 2007.

1. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Kinda surprised the MSM (and we here) missed this.

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=71741

Yeah, again, support the troops my ass.

Wondering how, or if, anyone will defend this.

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Just look at who is in charge. They are a bunch of draft dodging crooks hiding behind our Flag and troops but the reality is they are screwing us and our troops at every chance. Cure? Dont vote Republican for at least a decade. Bush & his buddies are fake, why its taking the American people so long to figure this one out is puzzling. Time for Lawyers to find out which Washington scumbag made this happen. Our Federal Govt is broken and this is another example.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Come on Swarmlord, get in here and defend your buddy Bush, who you say you've only been slightly disappointed with. :rolleyes:

4. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

You know that I don't defend government mistakes like this. Are you suggesting that this was orchestrated by Bush himself? Sounds like something that needs to be taken up by the representatives of these troops and rectified to me.

And you wonder why I dislike government responsibility for darned near anything.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Gee- it's hard to know with you. You seem to get behind just about anything war-related with regards to this bunch. And no- it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Bush were behind this. He is the Commander-in-chief after all. He's also the one misusing the Guard.

6. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Well, I'm confident that this will be rectified. I hope that those that can make a correction to this step up and get it done.

7. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Uh, yes you do.

The orders came from higher up. Maybe not Bush himself, but his administration has let things like this happen. Far too frequently BTW. Walter Reed anyone?

The same people saying the gov is broken are proving it to you, and yet you still support them.

This story is almost a week old. If Bush wanted to fix it, he would. I'm sure this was all just a mistake though, an unforeseen coincidence, that will be fixed immediately. You just keep thinking your boys support the troops.

Wondered how you'd defend this, and somehow, you found a way.

8. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Thanks for all that substantiating information.

The government can't even fix a payroll error in that amount of time. Get real.

9. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Do you want me to post a link to the Walter Reed scandal? Thought it was pretty self explanatory. How about I post links on how they extended stays over there, then refused to increase benefits? Or how the soldiers were ill-equipped? Lack of body armor, vehicle armor, etc? Everything else you need regarding this situation is right there in the article. You might want to read it.

Or wold you like me to go into detail about how the Bush administration has screwed up the war and screwed the troops they claim to support, because I figured that was pretty self explanatory as well.

The reality is that things like this shouldn't be happening in the first place, yet they do. On a regular basis. Welcome to real.

10. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

This is very common in the military. They set up all sorts of deadlines and requirements that must be met in order to receive certain benefits. Then they try everything they can to keep you just shy of meeting those requirements. When I was in the Air Force they were sending a lot of people on 179 day deployments. As soon as the 180 day mark was reached there were all kinds of other situations that came into play including credit for completion of a Short Tour of Duty. Short tours get credited on your record, make you eligible for certain awards, and put you back at the bottom of the vulnerable to move list so you don't get stuck with another non-voluntary short tour. There are also a world of difference in how short tours are paid and how deployments are paid. They would pull us out right before the short tour mark so we didn't get the credit.

I don't know if this is necessarily wrong or not because the rules are set up in advance and they are publicized, but it sure sucks for those that get pulled out 1 day before they are supposed to meet a certain requirement.

11. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

And I thought that Walter Reed predated President Bush's election. Thanks for setting that straight.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

At the very least it's dishonest and cynical.

13. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

People are cynical, rules aren't.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You mean like the rule that says we aren't to send the National Guard overseas?

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Cynical people use rules in a cynical fashion.

16. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

You can't attribute human characteristics to written rules. That's what I meant. A "rule" can't be cynical any more than it can be angry.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The trouble is that I never suggested the rule itself was anything of the sort, only the way it was used, so I really don't know why you are arguing semantics with yourself.

18. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Who caused Walter Reed to be stuffed beyond capacity? Many third world countries take better care of the vets than bushco has.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yet somehow the very same government can write and approve legislation supporting the right of a brain-dead woman to remain alive in less than a single weekend...

20. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I guess you expect a president to micro manage everything and not delegate a thing. It should be investigated and those responsible held accountable.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Taking care of our vets is hardly micromanaging. It should be a top priority. If it isn't, something's broken. Quit making excuses. You know very well that unless the media had exposed that situation, nothing would have ever been done.

22. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its easier to send em off to war even if you didnt even think of what you would do afterwards. The Buck stops at our....president. He is in charge of the military and even those hospitals just as he is in charge of HumVees that had no armor. Fortunate son who never completed his service and we elected this clown twice.

23. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

What rule would that be?

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Sorry- wrong rule, but still wrong:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_National_Guard

25. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Right--the Guard CAN be mobilized and sent overseas--it is the next-to-last reserve pool for the military. (The Individual Ready Reserve ("IRR") being the final available pool, absent institution of a draft.)

As a member, I was curious to see a rule that forbade part of the very reason for the Guard's existence...... ;)