National ID Card? For real?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Hugh, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Is this for real or a joke. To be honest I'm not sure...

I really can't see any good of this system, other then you would only need one ID for driving if you are moving from one state to another.

Here the start of the article.

http://endoftheamericandream.com/ar...dy-the-real-id-act-goes-into-effect-on-may-11

Hugh

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

"Approach, and be recognised!!" has been around for many a millennium.

If you have nothing to hide, what is the problem??

3. samiwas macrumors 65816

OK, I'll bite... I don't see what the big deal is. Instead of having a state-issued ID, you have a federal ID instead. This article freaks out about how you won't be able to drive a car or board a plane without this card. Ummm...don't you have to have either a state-issued ID or a federally-issued passport to do either of those things anyway?

And the line about security goons "constantly checking your ID"...come on.

Maybe they will make the ID out of tin foil, so you can wear it like a little hat.

4. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

5. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

if you read the article you'll find that your state drivers license isn't being replaced and the national government isn't issuing you an ID card

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

the reason why they had until May 2011 to get it done was to give states time to filter threw their current ID and get them updated.

I believe most states update their DL to meet the security standard before hand and those extra years was to get DL time to expire and be replaced. Safe to bet DL issues as far back as 2004 comply. Those before hand might not of. Given most DL last around a max 6 years before they expire means that all of them would of been replaced by now.

Most DL get updated more often than that as people move so they need a new address which means new DL.

Mind you I am going to question your source because it is pretty much just a going off attacking Obama and everything so not much value to be pulled from it.

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

8. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

[​IMG]

"Help! Help! I'm being oppressed!" :rolleyes:

Yeah, so I gotta admit, I don't see the big deal. If it'll get me across the border quicker and/or keep the TSA's hands off my junk, I'll carry five ID cards. Hell, I'll get a bigger wallet just to carry ID cards.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I've always wondered that too....every time I travel, bars give my out of state ID extra scrutiny, and I've also had a TSA agent in PA claim that my MO drivers license was fake (and he let me through anyways :rolleyes:). I can't help but think things like this would be easier if there was only one design bars and TSA agents have to deal with.

I would only be OK with this if it replaced state drivers licenses, if you have to have both, then that's going too far.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I have mixed feelings about this. Your Social Security card all ready acts as a national ID, but I don't carry my card and don't have to cough it up to prove who I am. And in most states, I'm not required to carry an ID.

11. Hugh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hugh

The more I think about it. I see this as a good thing.,

Filing for employment would come easy. To get hired legal work force, you have to show two proofs that you are a US citizen. Birth cert or SS card. Now you would just show this ID.

Hugh

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

My SS card is a folder in my desk. Only time I even bother to take it anywhere is when I start a new job. Other wise it sits in there.

now I would not want to have to carry 2 IDs with me. Now I carry my DL in my wallet because it is convent for when I do need to show it but I will go out with out it all the time if I am not driving.

Now I do carry my ID with me when I go Biking not because I am legally required to but God forbid I injure myself I do have an ID on me.

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

From what I can tell through the paranoia of the original article, it sounds like this wouldn't be a separate card. It would just be that if you want your drivers license to be acceptable as a federal ID then the state needs to meet certain requirements with the ID card.
    I personally see no problem with this, it's not like they are going to be setting up checkpoints everywhere to check your ID. This is just a non intrusive piece of security, which is the type we should be using.

14. Andeavor macrumors 6502

A national ID card is noting else but an identity document physical proof of citizenship, which helps process any official business that requires citizenship ir the simple identification of persons. It's mandatory for most European citizens - Danish citizens for example may carry a National Health Insurance Card only while others, like Bulgarians, will have to pay a fine of 25 Euros if they don't carry any proof of identification at all.

15. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I realize that this thread title is somewhat misleading, but that statement you made can be the start of a long and slippery slope my friend.

How would you feel about any of the following?

Random, obligatory searches of your home, car, personal self ?

"Interrogation" of your children without you being present by federal/state officials where they ask them if Mommy and Daddy have any "funny looking/smelling plants" that they grow indoors, or asking them any number of other personal questions without you being present ?

I could go on, but you get the general idea...but I guess if you have nothing to hide you need not worry....

Some of us do not believe in a nanny state gov't, and think that the best form of gov't is one that governs from a distance.

16. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

So when will I get stopped by the cliche Nazi officer shouting "Papers please!"

17. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

They're just trying to implement some sort of "standards" to the card and process. I think IL is already there.

I remember when the LifeLock guy posted his SSN - a bunch of foreign people in a few states used his to get Driver's Licenses... :eek:

In those states, all you need is a number and nobody bothers to check...

18. bobertoq macrumors 6502a

I hate this logic. Why not let the government eliminate your privacy? As long as you're not a criminal, then it's all good, right? A better question is why should the government do this at all? How does it benefit the common man? It doesn't. It just holds him back:
    Why should anyone have to identify themselves to the government to do this stuff? I can't think of good reason.

19. Hugh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hugh

But wait there's more.......

Now the plot (or so cal plot) thickens. Now if you happened to live in a state that doesn't go with the national ID card ( 2005 Real ID Act). If you don't get this ID it will take longer to go though security with out Real ID and you will not be able to enter VA hospitals. federal buildings.. sorry can do it because your stated didn't want to go with the 2005 Real ID Act)

Now like I said in my last post, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have. instead it could make it easer for employers on book keep on the legal status of Their workers, just show the natantal ID, it would take care of that.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20038613-281.html?tag=topTechContentWrap;editorPicks

Hugh

20. Andeavor macrumors 6502

You can't drive a car without a driver's license, you can't get on a plane without a state ID or passport, you can't vote if you aren't registered, you can't open a bank account without a state ID or passport and you need a social security number to get a job.

A national ID just unifies them and accelerates the process.

21. Hugh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Well it looks like the deadline is been moved up, to allow the other states to get their fairs in order. Not to mention that some of the states have pass bills not to do the National ID.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/03/04/real.id/index.html?hpt=T2

Hugh

22. bobertoq macrumors 6502a

"But mommy, he did it first!"

Why do we need to unify the ID process? The federal government would have a database of every citizen containing detailed personal and identifying information. The federal government would also be able to monitor people with it, and worst of all how do we know the federal government won't require it for more and more things? That's not exactly good for privacy or freedom, which are things I prefer to the supposed benefits of this system.

23. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

As if the fed doesn't ALREADY have information about you? Ever filled out a tax return? :confused:

24. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

My understanding is the REAL id is nothing more than an ID that is much harder to forge. It is safe to assume based on something that Texas complys with it and looking at my ID it just harder to forge one than the old one but that is about it.

Like bills ID should be updated and enhanced every so many years any how to make them hard to forge.

25. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Um, how do you think you get a social security number when you're born? You don't think the hospital writes down 9 random numbers on a piece of paper, do you? :rolleyes: