National Park Service ordered to stop Tweeting by Donald

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by oneMadRssn, Jan 21, 2017.

1. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

http://gizmodo.com/national-park-service-banned-from-tweeting-after-anti-t-1791449526

Everyone knows the great way to start the presidency is by silencing a useful and beloved internal agency.

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

I certainly don't like this, but they didn't help themselves. Posting a picture taken two hours prior to the ceremony and comparing it to the actual ceremony for political purposes is stupid. Someone is going to lose his job.

3. oneMadRssn thread starter macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

This would only bother the worlds most insecure and thinnest-skinned president. Normal people would be annoyed, but not react like this.

4. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

....And if you or I used a company Twitter account to publicly criticize our boss, what do you suppose the repercussions of that would be?

5. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

6. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

1. It's not a private company.
    2. Their new boss' underlying aim comes very close to dismantle said company because regulations in favour of nature go against private corporations profits.

That said, I do think it's stupid to target Trump like that. Considering he has the temper of a spoiled rich kid, I don't think open, direct confrontation is the best way to go.

7. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Understandable, given the irresponsibility of way too many Twittering twits. I've had minor interactions with NPS personnel at Big Bend National Park since back in the 1970s. All in all, I'm underwhelmed, to be polite about it. By and large they're nice people, but not all that much common sense. (Don't ask complex questions; try to minimize the use of polysyllabic words.)

8. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

That means he going to have to fund a means of mass communication.

9. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Doesn't make any difference, when you use a company account to criticize your boss, don't expect your boss to not respond.

Wow, you read all that into a boss not tolerating pubic criticism from his subordinates, on a company account.

If members of the Parks Service had used their privet twitter accounts to do this, I would say it was a First Amendment issue, but when General McCrystal critiqued members of the Obama administration, he was sacked, was he not?

10. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

No, from his announced policies.

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Would it be any different if a Parks employee had used his own personal account to send the picture? I suspect not. They'd probably be fired.

Whether or not you think Trump had the right to do this, the optics are terrible. Russia, China and North Korea do this sort of thing. Let's hope this is not a taste of what's to come.

12. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

Yes you are correct.

Enters the fun rule government agencies have....you cannot communicate political agenda with government resources. This includes accounts to post to social media. As by the nature of the account your are communicating as an agent/employee of the government entity.

Want to push political agenda/bash POTUS and such at the water cooler...all good. Just have to respect the other person's wishes. They don't dig politics, you don't talk about it. Its your bffs...slam the POTUS all you want...at the water cooler.

Posting political agenda on a site/account meant for governmental information purposes...crosses a line. Trump is being nice here, said people involved have already violated terms of employment. Agreed to and signed off at their new hire orientations.

He is doing cease and desist before he can have HR just go straight to pink slip. He is being generous here. These people want to bash him they can make private accounts, have that reflect in now way any connection to their job...and go from there. Government employees aren't robots...run your own twitters and have a ball. Work accounts are just that, work accounts.

The temporary pulling of posting rights I will assume will be tied to some HR and other people getting Park services in a motivated retraining session where they will be reminded this is not allowed with official resources. Some may emo rage...why they may bring an IT manager in to say emo rage if you want....here is the SAAR you signed, here is the statement of official use you signed, and here is the damn cut and dry login text screen you see on every computer in the network that you click okay to to login. When you click okay....you agree to all the text in that message, whether you cared to read it or even like it or not.

13. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

That's why I said that I don't agree with what was done. But boy does he have a thin skin...

14. oneMadRssn thread starter macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Actually, I have criticized my boss in a somewhat similar way. When the head of my department was being honored with an industry award by a magazine, I replied-all to the department-wide listserve saying something along the lines of how that magazine must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel to award him. Others had similarly snarky comments. He replied-all to me asking, that if he's such an idiot, what that says about me working for him. We had a laugh.

My boss takes jabs easily and brushes them off, and even participates to improve morale, because he's a confident person that isn't threatened at all when a subordinate jokes about him.

What my boss wouldn't ever do in response to jokes about him is react in a way that harms our clients or causes the service we provide to our clients to suffer. But that's exactly what Donald did, he reacted in a way that harms US citizens only because his fragile little feelings were hurt.

The Twitter post wasn't even a criticism of Donald. It was repost of a meme making fun of the inauguration attendance. It was definitely inappropriate, but Donald is definitely a petulant child for reacting like this.

15. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Again, so the Obama administration had thin skin when it sacked General McCrystal?

This is one of many, increasingly inaccurate thread titles, nowhere is it sourced that this directive came from Trump, himself. Could be Trump never saw it, could be that some higher up was made aware of it, and took corrective action, before his head rolled.

16. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

17. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

Its new sheriff in town syndrome. Has to assert his authority. I was in the Marines for a bit. New CO's or Sgt Majors....let the fun times roll. You just accepted and moved on with some change of command/post and relief games you expected as part of the changeover in time. Insert Cartmen from south parks "assert my authority!" sound bite here.

As an IT admin in the government I think he i doing the right thing here. As I am wondering off the bat if these people are abusing this account, and no one internally stepped up and said this needs to stop, NOW!, what they hell else are they doing badly with their resources (IT off the bat ofc, but what else?).

18. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Where is your proof, that this directive came from The Donald, himself?

So you made fun of your boss, and he replied, you knew his nature, and the nature of his position. This meme was an absolute dig at Trump, " Look, you're not as good as the last guy." Don't reacted as if he had some members of the Parks department summarily executed, someone shut down criticism of the boss, from a public company Twitter account, to nip this thing in the bud, before others got the idea they could do the same types of things, and there would be no repercutions.

19. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Using government propriety and communication channels for political purposes - even for fun - is a serious offense. At my job I am constantly reminded that being in the public sector I can't use any tool, be it twitter or my email, to discuss anything remotely political. At work we are very serious in not commenting about politics, be it local or not. Let me just tell you that once I was stuck in the elevator with a ... concerned citizen. It took all my strength to keep answering "I understand your frustrations." over and over. Whoever posted the meme certainly went against any policy in place at the department, there is no way that an action like that can be tolerated.
    I disagree with shutting down the entire communication channel, unless the directive to publish it came from management, in which case we're dealing with even a more serious issue.

20. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

It is against policy to do this, so it was right for them to be admonished. The park service should have posted pictures of the mess left behind after the 2009 inauguration and the 2017 inauguration. That was a stark contrast as well and more Parks Service appropriate. The people who showed up for obama in 2009 were total slobs.

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

No it doesn't, he just needs to find the people who are tweeting crap like this and fire them.

22. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Wait. First people here were posting it was 30 minutes difference. Then an hour. Now you are telling me it's two hours difference?

Well of course you are going to have a stark contrast with much less crowds!

23. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

No. if you're the type of person who doesn't litter than there won't be a mess.

24. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

There was a screenshot which actually had the time, bottom right, taken from CNN. It was marked as 8:43AM ET. I might be wrong - in which case I am sorry - but I think this is taken from way earlier.
    Not that it really matters, it's actually a pretty petty issue especially considered that Clinton won Washington DC with 90% and Obama won with 85%. I don't expect many from DC to have attended in jubilation.

25. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I loathe Trump, but federal employees are supposed to be subject to the Hatch Act, which I think might apply in this case. Still, it should be the individual(s) who did this who is subject sanction, not the entire NPS. Mind you, by the end of Trump's term, I wonder how many national parks there will be.