National Parks Service has gone Rogue!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Jan 25, 2017.

1. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

2. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Taking a page from his playbook... Circumvent dishonest White House!

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Excellent, I hope it's them. I gave them a follow.

4. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the misleading title. This is an unofficial twitter handle. Who knows who is running it. It certainly is not the National Park Service.

5. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

yeah, but you have to admit that it's funny

6. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Isn't that the definition of "going rogue"?

7. v0lume4 macrumors 65816

v0lume4

Now all they need is a blunt, sarcastic, reprogrammed Imperial robot to complete the ensemble.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Live by Twitter die by Twitter.

Love it, too.

As did I.

Well, some of the people I know and respect - both online and in "Real Life" - are following them. That is enough for me, for now.

9. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Not misleading at all. And if you read their tweets, it's not hard to believe that the tweets are coming from a few disgruntled employees. Either way - more power to whoever it is.

10. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

12. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Dunno why happened.
    Trump?

Added link

13. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Not surprised.

14. sim667 macrumors 65816

We've entered an era of alternative facts, and governance by twitter dictat.

Well done US, well done.......

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, it is not my task in life to bring the blessing of surprise to your day, but - given the mindless and wilfully myopic support some on the right appear to bestow on Mr Trump, (and the increasingly frantic tempo of his actions - this is a man high on the adrenalin of attention, when withdrawal symptoms kick in I think we can expect to see further tantrums), I wonder whether any of his actions have the capacity to surprise - or, better still - if your moral compass is still in working order - appal you.

16. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Bless your heart.

17. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Federal Agencies Told to Halt External Communications

Memos ordered employees of at least four agencies not to send out news releases or to create social media posts, blog entries or official website content, and to consult with senior officials before speaking to the news media.

Such memos or oral communications landed this week at the E.P.A. and the Departments of the Interior, Agriculture and Health and Human Services, in a broad halt to external communications while the Trump administration struggles to put political appointees into position. Small flare-ups of communications — apparently in dissent — appeared on Twitter, but they were quickly stopped.

snip

Longtime employees at three of the agencies — including some career environmental regulators who conceded that they remained worried about what President Trump might do on policy matters — said such orders were not much different from those delivered by the Obama administration as it shifted policies from the departing White House of George W. Bush. They called reactions to the agency memos overblown. On Wednesday, Douglas Ericksen, a spokesman for the E.P.A., said that grants had been only briefly frozen for review, and that they would be restarted by Friday.

“I’ve lived through many transitions, and I don’t think this is a story,” said a senior E.P.A. career official who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the news media on the matter. “I don’t think it’s fair to call it a gag order. This is standard practice. And the move with regard to the grants, when a new administration comes in, you run things by them before you update the website.”

snip

But it is far from clear how realistic the response has been. The Agriculture Department memo to employees was modeled after one written by Tom Vilsack, President Barack Obama’s agriculture secretary.

“In order for the department to deliver unified, consistent messages, it’s important for the office of the secretary to be consulted on media inquiries and proposed responses to questions related to legislation, budgets, hot-button policy issues and regulations,” wrote Mr. Vilsack, a former Democratic governor of Iowa, in 2009. “Policy-related statements should not be made to the press without notifying or consulting with the office of the secretary.”

Michael Young, the acting deputy secretary of the Agriculture Department, who has worked as a career civil servant in the department for 33 years, wrote a memo to employees telling them to consult the secretary’s office when responding to news media inquiries, and he said the memo was little different than the one that was issued during the transition to Mr. Obama’s administration.

“This memo is not some sort of creative writing exercise,” he said. “This is almost exactly what was issued eight years ago. I just updated it a bit.”

So much for the faux outrage here for NASA and National Parks. Someone might even blame intellectual integrity.

18. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

It really comes down to intent though. And Trump has had enough smoke and mirrors to cast doubt. Is the blocking due to the same as above - or is it because he doesn't want facts that change his narrative (climate change for example).

Integrity is still an issue. And PR spin is PR spin.

19. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

This thread is almost as good as the thread about Trump's inauguration speech being lifted from Avatar.

20. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Oh my gosh. I haven't seen that in writing in forever.
    I use that phrase too.

21. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Right, this thread and the NASA thread are spin.

22. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

No - this thread reports on the fact that members of the National Parks and NASA have created their own twitter account. That's fact, not spin. WHY or whether they were justified when they created it is a different matter.

23. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Ah, fascinating, I have learned something new today, as, on Our Side of the Pond, this term actually means what it purports to say.

In any case, I don't speak Southern drawl, so - until I returned to this thread, I hadn't realised that there was a whole dialect of drawling pseudo subtle insult alive and well in those post feudal territories south of the Mason Dixie line.

But, thank you for your kind - or unkind - (delete as appropriate) - thought, anyway.

--- Post Merged, Jan 28, 2017 ---
    Absolutely agree with you.

It seems to be to be a silencing of sources of information that conflict with the narratives- or spin - that the White House prefers.