Nationality: American

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dontwalkhand, May 18, 2012.

1. dontwalkhand, May 18, 2012
    Last edited: May 18, 2012

dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I know this has been talked about MANY MANY times in the past, but I have always been asked this question (by strangers who don't even know me, mind you, cashiers at the checkout line, etc), "What race are you?", "What is your nationality?" and "Where do you come from?"

I state, "California" as an answer to the second question, and they snap back with, "No, where do you REALLY come from?"...I snap back with, "Is that any of your business? Just scan my items, I'll swipe my card, and leave", Then I overhear them talk to the next customer in line complaining about how rude I was being.

When a form asks for race, I fill in, "None of your business", whether it fits in the box, or not. If they give me any scrutiny, I will state, "Do you want a better America?" and that USUALLY shuts them up.

I don't speak with any accent whatsoever, and for those who do, should ONLY have to worry about Siri not being able to understand them while legally staying in our country. I vote, I have an American flag on the front of my garage door, I celebrate the 4th, I am very active in politics, and have made some notable changes in city government (PM me if you REALLY care about the proof), including petitioning for bus route extensions etc in my city. In fact, I would say I am more active in government than your average "American." Most people probably have NEVER been to a city hall meeting in their life.

If you look on your US passport, it states for every resident who lives here, "Nationality: United States of America" with no way of changing it, (All the other letters are typed out, but Nationality is printed in a way where you can tell it is the same for all). So why can't we all just be American?

Since when did being American come to mean being White?

Part of the problem, would be that when OTHERS are asked of their race, they respond correctly. If only there was a way to get others to just respond, "American" and that is IT. Leave it at that.

The race card will stop if the general public would LET it stop. Stop asking ******** questions, and consider us true Americans, and maybe minorities will stop pulling the race card. If we all can be UNITED, then we would prosper better as a country. Sadly, it seems lately other countries have passed us by and left us in the dust in progress.

2. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Seems to me you're too sensitive. I've been asked where I was from and it never bothered me, not for a second. Especially someone at a check out counter who's more than likely just curious and is trying to make conversation.

I'm sorry but I just think what you wrote is just a bunch of nonsense. America is made up of people who emigrated from all parts of the world. And yes if you are not white or a black American there's a good chance you come from somewhere outside of the continental USA or you parents or grand parents. You should be proud of your heritage rather than being a rude jerk.

3. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

You live in New Jersey, where people probably don't ask you every five seconds. If you live in a state like Arizona where we have the next Bull Connor (take a look at the recent Arpaio investigations), you'd clearly understand where I am coming from in this argument.

4. mac-collector macrumors regular

mac-collector

5. Queso macrumors G4

Yes you do. You just don't notice it. We all speak with an accent.

6. mac-collector macrumors regular

mac-collector

It doesn't. That's like asking 'Since when did being African come to mean being black?'

7. hafr macrumors 68030

I'm an immigrant, proud of my heritage. When people ask me where I'm from, I take it as a polite question based on curiosity about other places, cultures, regions and so forth.

To be annoyed by that question is so far from my reality that I can't really understand how it can bother you at all. But why don't you just either answer the question? I mean, if you're an immigrant, just say you're from this or that country. If your parents were immigrants, tell them they were from this or that country but that you're born in America.

Considering there aren't really that many americans that have more than a handful of generations of americans in their family tree, I guess the question is far from uncommon in the states. I've only been there once, but people asked me about my origins even when they thought I was a white american...

Or just start saying "I don't know".

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

My mom is italian and german and my dad was dutch canadian... That wasn't so hard.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Dont come to Toronto, its pretty much the first question anyone asks and I am white. I only know a,few born and raised Canadians and most people identify themselves as the country they come from.

10. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

Your being WAY too sensitive dude. I work in retail and if I serve a person who I think is foreign I'll ask them where there from/why they're in England/ are they enjoying themselves etc. For one, it's just a nice way to pass the time, but I ALWAYS get the feeling they enjoy someone having a genuine interest in them/where they're from etc.

11. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Well of course - half our population was born outside the country, and most of the rest were born somewhere else in the country. When I'm asked I answer "Montreal" and no one's ever replied "No, I was trying to figure out your ethnicity"

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Exactly, its called polite conversation.

13. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

If you go to Nashville and they all talk southerny, but you and and you alone sound different, who has an accent?

14. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Does everything have to be spelled out for some people? He means he doesn't speak any differently then those who are asking where are you from?

15. Queso macrumors G4

Of course he does. He still has an accent though. What's so hard to understand about that?

16. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Nothing. Just pointing out that there was no need to correct him, his meaning was clear.

17. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I'm strongly against collecting race-based statistics in many instances, such as job applications, because it sets the stage for institutional discrimination.

18. mac-collector macrumors regular

mac-collector

Accent
    Noun, A distinctive mode of pronunciation of a language, esp. one associated with a particular nation, locality, or social class.

It all depends on what your reference is. He did not state what 'no accent' is. Most often the 'standard' accent is the Queen's English, but then this is often considered English accent in the US.

19. malman89 macrumors 68000

But, but... Amurica!

Better yet OP, does it tweak your lemons when people call it "the States?"

I do sometimes find the race thing kind of annoying on every job application, but I do feel that honestly answering white male is better than a potentially off-putting "No Response" x2. I guess I'm just crazy to think I'll be hired (or not) based on merit and am okay with that.

20. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Why would you be asked those things by people who DO know you? :confused:

Lighten up, OP. some people are just genuinely curious. Are you ashamed of your heritage or something? Most reasonable people don't get offended by questions like this.

21. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If you are snapping like that at cashiers for asking about your heritage (you must have a unique/interesting look about you for it to come up so often) during idle conversation at the checkout counter you *are* being rude. How are they to know you are hypersensitive about it? At the very least you could come up w/a polite way to redirect the conversation as opposed to being a jerk about it.

Lethal

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Let's see I'm 33% Greenlandish, 13% Irish (Bulmastion Irish which explains my passionate temper), 95% English with a further 5% I got from staring really hard at a Romanian Gypsy.
    I'm sure there is 25% southern Mediterranean, but the mid-south region, you know the place.

Ooooh people. We're so ridiculous.

23. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I am going to guess you look different that the normal population and your race does not fit one that most people can identify.

You are being way to sensitive to that question.
    A vast majority of people are asking because they want to know. They are not trying to be rude or racist but generally want to know your race and where you are from.

24. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

In all honesty, I think I'd be a little frustrated too, if people constantly badgered me about where I came from. I get that it's polite conversation, etc. etc. but you don't constantly want to have to tell your life-story to some cashier you'll never see again.

That being said, I think the others are correct in that you should change your response, especially if you do repeatedly hear the cashier griping about how rude you were to the next person in line. While it may feel like they're asking to hear all about you, you could also be projecting that on poor unsuspecting cashiers who are required by their bosses to make small talk with the customers...

You don't have to apologize for being who you are, but you aren't doing yourself any favors if you live up to their poor expectations. I'd respond as briefly as possible, smile, and then quickly change the subject.

25. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

This gives me a déjà-vu to the movie Eyes Wide Shut:

SZABO: By the way, my name is Sandor Szabo. I'm Hungarian.
    ALICE: Pleased to meet you. My name is Alice. I'm American.