native English speakers: what do you think about my English

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iPave, Oct 28, 2008.

1. iPave macrumors member

iPave

I'm 17 year old high school student from Finland and I would like to know what do you native English speakers think about my English. Here are some quotes from my posts in Macrumors forums.

"I think solid state drives are not yet wort of their price. The price per gigabyte os astronomical and they are not yet so much faster than hard drives (except in random access). In some situations they might be even slower. I think it is vice to wait a couple years that prices come down, storage increases and they become faster.

Startup time might be faster, but is it really worth of 450euros/500dollars when you can use sleep mode. I boot my mba very rarely, mostly when installing updates. When I'm not using my mba, I just close it and it goes to sleep. When I need it, I just have to open it and it is instantly ready for use. Sleep mode uses very little battery, keeping MacBook Air in sleep for a day drains only few percents of battery.
    "

"It'll stop charging when the battery is full. So no fear of overloading."

"I'm going to France for a short trip and I'm considering about buying unlocked iPhone from there. If I remember right, the first generation "unlocked" iPhone was locked to work only with French sim cards. Is the 3G model country-locked in the same way?"

2. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

Bold for insertions, red for deletions... I wasn't always sure exactly how you were trying to say things, so some bits are what I think sound natural rather than exactly what you were saying. For your second language I think it's very good - certainly better than I can write in any other language - and even though it wasn't always perfectly grammatical it wasn't hard to understand... you don't sound like a native though :)

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I think your written English is pretty good, iPave – certainly, it's a hell of a lot better than my Finnish. I hope you don't mind but, seeing as how you asked...

"I think solid state drives are not yet worth of their price. The price per gigabyte is astronomical and they are not yet so much faster than hard drives (except in random access). In some situations they might be even slower. I think it is wise to wait a couple of years until prices come down, storage increases and they become faster.

Startup time might be faster, but is it really worth of 450 Euros/500 Dollars when you can use sleep mode. I boot my mba very rarely, mostly when installing updates. When I'm not using my mba, I just close it and it goes to sleep. When I need it, I just have to open it and it is instantly ready for use. Sleep mode uses very little battery, keeping MacBook Air in sleep for a day drains only a small percentage of battery.
    "

"It'll stop charging when the battery is full. So no fear of overloading."

"I'm going to France for a short trip and I'm considering about buying an unlocked iPhone from there. If I remember right, the first generation "unlocked" iPhone was locked to work only with French sim cards. Is the 3G model country-locked in the same way?"

EDIT: Me and chilipie seem to agree on most points, which is good to see. I interpreted 'vice' in your first paragraph as 'wise' though, I tried to imagine it being said with a strong Finnish accent. :eek:

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Apart from a few errors (typos) and slightly odd phrasing on rare occasions it is extremely good.

I hope you don't mind but I have gone over your post and changed it a bit

edit: It seems we all had similar ideas. iPave as you can see not much has been changed by us. We have done some things differently but that is of course what makes language so hard to master. From those snippets you have given us you should be proud of your English.

5. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Your English is very good and it seems like someone would be able to have a good conversation with you in English. English isn't an easy language to learn so when someone from another Country starts writing it, it just look for meanings in what they are saying. Everything you said came across fine.

I'm a manager for Sizzling Platter and I work with Spanish people all the time. The ones which are trying to learn English are doing well in the speaking department, but not so well in the writing. It is really hard!

"!No problemo es muy perfecto!"

"No problem, it's just fine!"

6. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

your English is completely understandable. Probably an 8 out of 10 (10 being native)

We should all learn Finlinish (is that what the language is called or is it finish) and do the same.

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

It's more understandable than half of the native english posts in these forums. :p