NATO is No Longer Obsolete!

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Hear ye! Hear ye! A new commandment from the Book of Trump has been passed down! In a press conference today, Donald Trump said this about NATO:

“I complained about that a long time ago, and they made a change — and now they do fight terrorism,” Trump said. “I said it was obsolete. It's no longer obsolete.”

It's unclear what changes the president was referencing.​

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/04/12/trump-on-nato-i-said-it-was-obsolete-its-no-longer-obsolete/?utm_term=.4f68e4b06764

So, I guess we've reached the point where up is down, black is white, and Trump believes whatever Trump didn't believe before he was elected.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Hear ye! Hear ye! A new commandment from the Book of Trump has been passed down! In a press conference today, Donald Trump said this about NATO:

“I complained about that a long time ago, and they made a change — and now they do fight terrorism,” Trump said. “I said it was obsolete. It's no longer obsolete.”

It's unclear what changes the president was referencing.​

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/04/12/trump-on-nato-i-said-it-was-obsolete-its-no-longer-obsolete/?utm_term=.4f68e4b06764

So, I guess we've reached the point where up is down, black is white, and Trump believes whatever Trump didn't believe before he was elected.
Not surprising. He's leading the creation of a coalition that will intervene in a few places.
Also, he needs NATO to work as a deterrent for Russia.
The good news? This is certainly suggested by both Mattis and McMaster.

Admiral

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2015
Yeah, kinda funny how anti-Russian organizations are suddenly looking good to Trump this week, now that he seems to be seeing Russia as an enemy...
Russia does not have to be our enemy. It's a European state, sort of, and we share a common enemy in Islamism. Under an Admiral administration, the United States would seek to normalize Russia and forge first a friendship, then an alliance.

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Russia does not have to be our enemy. It's a European state, sort of, and we share a common enemy in Islamism.
Dunno what you mean by that. I've read a lot of history, and man, the European states are some of the worst guys to ally with. Islamic states have a far better record of honoring alliances (or, at least, being up-front if they don't want an alliance).

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I never liked Trump's "NATO is obsolete" statements.

However, he was spot on about them not paying their fair share. I've been following this for years and I'm glad some world leader finally brought it up. These countries have agreed to the 2% GDP mark over and over and over again, but most never hit it.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
“I complained about that a long time ago, and they made a change — and now they do fight terrorism,” Trump said. “I said it was obsolete. It's no longer obsolete.” ...
He's such a ****ing idiot. He'll say anything ... ANYTHING ... if he imagines it makes him look good.

Only sycophant, sheeple, non-thinking followers can't see that they elected a pathologically lying, embarrassment into office.

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
POTUS has changed his position so much I've lost course of what he stands for at this point. Pillock.

*An earlier version of this post had a type.

Last edited:

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
The good news? This is certainly suggested by both Mattis and McMaster.
I think I understood how NATO worked when I was twelve years old. So I hardly consider it "good news" that the President of the United States needs to have this explained to him. When it comes to coalitions, it's generally a good idea not to start out your team building by insulting and threatening your potential partners.

Reactions: Eraserhead

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Trump was arrogant and foolish to think we didn't need NATO or the UN.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
still glad she lost :D
So this country could be literally on fire due to Trump and you'd still just be saying "Glad she lost".

This isn't election season anymore. Clinton is irrelevant. Look at the nonsense cheeto man is saying and doing. He's destroying this country.

But all that matters to you is he beat Hilary.

Reactions: eatrains

Dsching

Suspended
Sep 11, 2014
So this country could be literally on fire due to Trump and you'd still just be saying "Glad she lost".

This isn't election season anymore. Clinton is irrelevant. Look at the nonsense cheeto man is saying and doing. He's destroying this country.

But all that matters to you is he beat Hilary.
This country could also be literally on fire if Clinton won. The orange moron is still the lesser of two evils.

Reactions: jkcerda