NATO -vs- Russia: Broken Eastern Promises

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Jun 11, 2015.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The NATO charter declares that if any NATO member is attacked, all other NATO members will come to it's defense.

That said, I've believed for some time that if Putin decides to "protect the rights of the Russian minority in Estonia or Latvia," i.e invade, that NATO would not go to war with Russia. It seems that more Europeans agree. Furthermore. America will not go to war to defend flyspeck nations that don't pull their own weight militarily. That would, of course, would spell the end of NATO and the rise of a revanchist Russia in Eastern Europe.

Frankly, NATO should have died along with the Cold War and the Warsaw Pact.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...51602c-0df6-11e5-a0fe-dccfea4653ee_story.html

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Let NATO end, and let Europe defend themselves. There is no reason why the US should act as the world police.

3. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I’ve said it many time NATO was dealt a serious blow when the US convinced NATO to become involved in the war in Afghanistan. The general public of Europe could not see how this was any of their business, a war 3,000 miles away in a totally different continent, support really dropped when the first bodybags came back.

NATO was just seen as a American stooge, and later in Iraq, the feeling only got worse.