Navigation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dominicanyor, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Dominicanyor macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

Wirelessly posted

Why the iPhone does not have a GPS navigation like android?

2. ap3604, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Call Apple and ask, I'm sure someone there knows why

Apple
    1 Infinite Loop
    Cupertino, CA 95014

4. BiggAW macrumors 68020

TomTom is pretty good, although you have to pay for it. It has some advantages over Google Maps.

5. Dominicanyor thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

I'm just looking for a gps I'm new to the apple family. Thanks for your help!!

6. ap3604, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  7. Dominicanyor thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

Cool thanks.

8. Bswartz95 macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

MapQuest is free and gives voice turn-by-turn directions.

9. SporkLover macrumors 6502

Unfortunately google doesn't support the iOS platform with Maps and Navigation like they do Android...... Obviously they have a bias.

Waze is a reasonably good free solution. Unfortunately I found the routing to be questionable or undesirable in the areas I frequent so I went with Navigon. Navigon is a wonderful solution.

10. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

I was debating Navigon and TomTom, but I went with TomTom. I heard Navigon was bought by Garmin and then a lot of the reviews were bashing them for charging for map updates when Navigon promised free updates.

11. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Agree, never cared for Waze, used it multiple times on the iphone, don't see what the hype is about it? Navigon etc are well worth the money over it, plus the updating sucks from FL and other states I've been in when I would try it, for one thing the updates are based on the users and so many times the traffic was incorrect etc, and routing was wack vs Google Map GPS on my Android or Navigon on the iPhones, it owuld have you taking completely different roads to the destination or leaving an highway early only to direct you through city traffic when other programs would have kept you on the highway for longer.

Depends on your area, but from my use Waze was mehhh.

12. SporkLover macrumors 6502

You pay for quarterly updates. If you don't have it you still get "irregular" updates.

13. takeshi74 macrumors 601

There are plenty of existing threads discussing the nav app options out there.

Always consider the source. Navigon map updates are explained in a post above.

Hype and worth are both highly subjective.

14. cynics macrumors G4

I use waze cause it's like a game with the points and such but overall I don't find it to be that great of a gps compared to google nav.

Just this weekend I had google nav on my tablet and waze on my iPhone running side by side (for the above mentioned points lol).

First stupid waze did was try to have me turn onto an over pass as if it was a four way stop.

Secondly the reports were way out dated. Sure there was a traffic jam an hour ago but not anymore. Only traffic I hit was when google nav an waze reported at the same time. However the police speed trap reports were awesome!! Although only one was valid vs the 5 reported it was better safe then sorry.

Third, this BS happened.

[​IMG]

I was on the pa turnpike doing 70 mph I don't know why the road vanished but it was useless. Uninstall and reinstall didn't help.

I did find the eta to be more accurate with waze vs google nav but overall I prefer google nav. I've yet to find a free alternative that matches it.

15. bengtc macrumors regular

also if you live in an area with tolls, waze does not have an option to avoid toll roads

16. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Yeah, Navigon seems to be the one other reputable system, other than TomTom. I debated, and ended up going with TomTom, but I'm sure either one of those two would be a good choice for the OP.

TomTom [iPhone] is not as easy to use as Google Maps [Android], but it offers a lot more routing options. Google Maps is very limited in that you can't do any travel via options. TomTom was pretty easy for me to pick up, since I was used to the standalone TomTom, and with a touchscreen that actually works, it is amazing!

17. Jason black macrumors regular

BS, waze sucks and the UI looks like a childs playground.

18. cynics macrumors G4

Why wouldn't google be bias? It's there OS.

I'm not saying you are like this but some people seem like they are almost mad at google for this. As if there a lot of Apple proprietary apps on android.

If I didn't think their were better solutions to something like FaceTime I wouldn't be upset it's not on an Android device. Its just another app to try to attract consumers to their devices.

19. daroga macrumors member

I came here to ask about Navigon and saw this recent thread active, and even mostly answered my question(s), but I'll post anyway.

Most of the negative reviews on Navigon seem to stem from recent policy changes in what they're charging for. I understand the frustration but that does nothing to help me looking to buy now know which GPS program will be the best.

We are moving from South Dakota to California in two weeks, and Navigon is now on sale. People like it that use it now, even the 2.0.2 update? The appealing feature for me is that you can have offline maps, but you can specify by state so it doesn't have to take up like 2GBs on your phone's already limited space.

Any other thoughts on the current state of Navigon? Worth the now $40 for the USA version?

Thanks!

20. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Correct me if I'm wrong, but apps like YouTube and Maps were written by Apple employees, not Google's. If anyone is to blame for the lack of turn-by-turn navigation on the iPhone - it is Apple.

21. gaanee macrumors 65816

I'm using the Navigon app and its fairly good, though I haven't tried other apps. Its main advantage is that you can store the maps on your iphone so it doesn't rely on wireless data. Also, they claim that the interface was redesigned to take advantage of iphone's multitouch and it does work fine. Of course it comes with its own quirks like any other GPS. I've tried Garmin and Tomtom GPS before and seems like every GPS is lacking some feature (mostly interface related) so decided to give a try to Navigon and seems to be working fine.

22. b24pgg macrumors 65816

Waze gives me strange directions sometimes and isn't quite as polished as Google Navigation on Android, but it's the closest thing you'll get on the iPhone.

23. SporkLover macrumors 6502

I'm not placing blame just stating fact. Google doesn't provide as robust Maps/navigation solution for iOS like they do for android. That is the main reason iOS doesn't have a navigation solution like android.

Yes true Apple doesn't develop anything like that for ios, but then again they aren't in that market.

24. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

Wirelessly posted

This is why this year is critical for iPhone

Not only they have to come up with multiple sIze but also have to come up with solution to few of their glaring shortcoming.

They MUST come up with their native gps and better integration with the is

Anyone who thinks any 3rd party software is better than gps on droid is dreaming

It's time we as consumer demand apple to put their cash into something we can freely use

I cannot believe it took them this long