Navigon Help, Google Local Search and POI Search sucks...

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by LightsOut06, Aug 4, 2010.

1. LightsOut06 macrumors newbie

I'm terribly dissapointed with my Navigon Purchase. I wanted a turn by turn app that worked like the Maps Application in which I could just enter in something like "Best Buy" and it will find it the nearest best buys for me. Navigon's Google Search is hit or miss. It works for some stuff like "McDonald's" but doesnt work for others. Any advice? Is there a way that I can get a refund? Are there any other gps apps that work like the Maps App?

2. countrydweller macrumors 6502

countrydweller

Use the Navigon POI search. If you put state and city, it should find what you're looking for.

3. LightsOut06 thread starter macrumors newbie

that works a bit better although I would prefere to just skip the state and city part. I guess I'll have to live with it.

4. navguy macrumors regular

i agree w/ OP, and I'd suggest downloading AroundMe ... i use it 100% of the time w/ Navigon (and TomTom) to find destinations ... it works like Maps (pins and all), and from w/in the app, you can launch Navigon to that address ... good luck.

5. thecrevis macrumors newbie

Yep i totally agree with this.

hey man i couldn't agree with you more. What a disaster it is. That's the whole reason why i bought this program so that i could search for the name of a store or something...and then it would integrate with google and route me there...i contacted navigon in the hope that they refund my purchase...because it's a complete represenation of what the product can do...

And navguy, your suggestion is awesome man, but i shouldnt have to fiddle with two different programs in order to get to my nearest store or whatever... i wish Google Navigation would come out for iPhone....its free for android and it looks amazing.

Before buying another navigation program (supposing i get a refund for this), I would love to see whether youtube has some demonstrations of the programs in operation...

Does tomtom do a better job of the google integration? I'm in australia and the top 4 navigation programs seem to be

Navigon Mobile Navigator
    NNG Global iGo My Way
    TomTom
    Sygic Mobile Maps

any advice would be great. Thanks guys.

6. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I had an android phone and used google navigation and it is to date, the most impressive navigation I have used. Going from that to navigon is a total disappointment esp in terms of POI. I think its safe to say that google nav will never come to the iphone sans jailbreak.

7. Manning macrumors member

I've been disappointed with most POI searches in the navigation apps I've used. I was driving around Cincinnati the other day and typed "Joseph Beth" and it came up with one hit so I followed that and it led me to nowhere! I tried searching "Busken" a bakery nearby Joseph Beth and it came up with nothing. I tried these searches both with Navigon POI and Google Local Search.

I tried MotionX and Joseph Beth came up right away. Thats not the first time I've had problems with other apps (CoPilot another one) and then MotionX pulls it right up. CoPilot was really bad when I tried POI searches. Staples, ATT Store, Apple Store, Best Buy none of them came up. Searches were better when I went into a different menu and used the "Live Search."

Back to Joseph Beth, once I pulled into the parking lot I tried searching again in Navigon and it came right up! I was 5 miles away from it and nothing shows up and then while I'm in the parking lot it pulls right up.

8. navguy macrumors regular

i have both navigon and tomtom, and yes, tomtom has better Google Search integrated. i took Manning's example of Joseph Beth in Cincinatti and found it immediately (as long as it's a bookstore at 1727 Riverside Drive!?!)

i also used, AroundMe, and quickly found it, viewed it on a google map (nice visual confirmation), and then selected the tomtom routing option ... off and running

i agree that these satnav apps should integrate google better, but i figure as long as there's an easy and effective work around, i'm ok w/ it ...... plus i used AroundMe for phone calls to companies as well, so dual purpose.

9. kleinias macrumors regular

For what it's worth, I also have both the Navigon and Tomtom applications and I think that Google search works at least slightly better on Tomtom. That may be more a matter of Tomtom's interface rather than an actual difference in performance though.

I've also used MotionX and its live search feature works well, of note is that it is powered by Microsoft's Bing while Tomtom and Navigon use google for live searches.

10. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

WOW!!:eek:

Best suggestion ever!!

This app is better than any POI in app navigation I have come across.

It integrates seamlessly with you sat nav app of choice too.

Works great on the iP4.:D

Thanks again for suggesting this.

11. atlh3adl1n3r macrumors member

How do you get a different program other than Maps to launch from within the app? Only option I had was Maps.

12. silverhick macrumors newbie

Here Here. I was a bit disappointed when I couldn't just copy and paste an address or do a decent google search in the navigon app. Aroundme is the perfect companion until they integrate this stuff into the app.

Thanks for letting us know!

13. thecrevis macrumors newbie

I called up Navigon in Australia and told them the Google local search was rubbish...and they said they would contact their german office to have it looked at....a few days later it is now working brilliantly as it should be. woohoo

14. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I hated the Navigon POI search. Once they added the Google search it changed things completely for me in terms of experience with finding POIs with the app. The Google search has worked flawless in the US midwest region for me. A restaurant we like moved to a location about 10 miles away. The weekend after the move we decided to pop in and have a bite to eat in the new digs and the Navigon Google search had the new location, no problems. Simply awesome!

15. redman042 macrumors 68020

The free app Yellow Pages also has Navigon integration. I think it will do exactly what you're looking for much better than Navigon's built in search.

BTW, on the subject of Panorama View, I actually found that it provides a much farther viewing distance for roads than the built-in 3D view. The rendering that Panorama provides is overall clearer and easier to look at than the built in 3D view. It's not just the built in view with elevations added.

16. james4513 macrumors newbie

Interesting. The google search works great for me as long as I'm searching for something within about 10 miles of my current location. Otherwise, use the Navigon POI - which sucks just like all the other GPS POI's do. The Navigon google search is much better than my 2010 auto GPS, my TomTom or my Garman.

And I do agree that the 3D feature adds a touch of elegance that make it worth the price.

Good luck.

17. james4513 macrumors newbie

Just tried the Yellow Pages app with Navigon - very cool!

18. mackiwilad macrumors member

I know it may seem like a stupid question, but does anyone know how to search with Postcodes for an address (instead of city)?
    When I try a number in the 'City' part of the address it gets confused...

19. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

Navigon's POI search is awful. It's not enough to know the state and city, you may actually need to know the specific town name. There have been lots of times where I've searched for something that is in a major city's area and come up empty. If I am able to find out the smaller town that it is in, I can find the POI.

TomTom's integration is much better. The POI search starts near you, then moves out to surrounding areas if it can't find anything. This way, you don't need to know obscure town names.

I have also found Navigon's Google POI search completely useless. It never finds anything. However, other people have used it just fine, so I assume it works, just not for me. I won't dock them for that.

20. macrazee macrumors regular

Yeah, AroundMe is great. I've used it since its initial release. It has one-click mapping to Navigon (not sure about TomTom or any other apps).

I use it to quickly locate a business or whatever, much faster than loading up the full Navigation application (unless I really need to navigate there as well!)

21. LiquidZed macrumors newbie

NavAssist on the App store will do local search soon (next week or two hopefully). Currently it integrates with your contact list and displays the selected contact on the map or cut and paste of addresses into the seach box. I am currently working on adding local search into the app, and almost have it working. It basically acts like your google maps app, but can launch Navigon as well. The local search will work like googles map, it will search within whatever map region you have selected. I really hate Navigons google local search, and how Navigon doesn't work with contacts that have apartment numbers, suites, etc. That is why I made this app. I solved the apartment number problem, now I am working on google local search.

http://liquidzed.blogspot.com/
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/navassist/id416453745

-Jason

22. mackiwilad macrumors member

I went and bought your app. I hope you get the local search situation sorted out soon. Cheers!

23. LiquidZed macrumors newbie

Great, thanks! I am working on it right now. I might release a preliminary version with what I have gotten done by the end of the weekend as long as it is good enough as a first version of local search.

Version 1.6 will be released soon which fixes a few bugs that no one will likely realized are bugs, version 2.0 should be local search support, and hopefully be next week.

24. LiquidZed macrumors newbie

I actually just pulled version 1.6 and replaced it with 2.0. So hopefully it gets approved early this coming week!

I still have some more updates I want to get into it, such as adding a button to center on your current location, easier zooming than the built in mapkit, but I don't want to delay getting the local search out to work on these other little things. So check for the update early this week for local search! And if you encounter any problems, or have suggestions, email me at liquidzed@gmail.com.

-Jason