Navigon Pricing: Does This Make Sense?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rocknblogger, Nov 19, 2011.

1. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Currently Navigon is on sale at the following prices:

Navigon N America US & Canada $39.99 Fresh Maps upgrade $14.99 Total $54.98
    Navigon USA - $29.99 Fresh maps upgrade $19.99 Total $49.98
    Navigon US East - $19.99 Fresh Maps Upgrade $24.99 total $44.98

Based on these prices it makes sense to buy the east (Or whatever region) version and buy the update giving you all of North America for the cheapest possible total. Does this make sense?

In each version in the "Top in-app Purchases" it specifically says it's the Fresh Maps XL North America version. So basically for $44.98 your getting the full Navigon North America version. Am I reading this wrong somehow?

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

The FreshMap upgrade is not the rest of the maps, it updates the current maps you own every 3 months.

3. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

So then why the difference in price between all the versions? The East version being the most expensive at $24.99?

And it does specifically say Fresh Maps XL North America. If it was just for the east wouldn't it be the cheapest upgrade at maybe $9.99 or maybe $14.99?

There is an in-app update for other regions that's $14.99 but that's not Fresh Maps XL, it would be the same map source as the default maps.

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

The FreshMap pricing right now is different on all versions, they are promotional pricing and will go up to $29.99 at the end of the month, from what I have heard.

Its 24.99 because if you decide to purchase another region in the future, those maps will now be updated under FreshMap as well. Like i said, these are promotional pricing.

You have the upgrades for regions, or you have the upgrade for new maps.
    But you do not get all in the FreshMap upgrade.

5. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

So then that means there's no upgrade if you buy the US version to get Canada?

Also Fresh Maps XL is a different map from what Navigon comes with, meaning that if you upgrade to the Fresh Maps XL you're replacing the maps that Navigon came with. If that's the case then why aren't there different regions of the XL maps?

Your explanation doesn't make sense about the $24.99 price. Your saying they are charging $24.99 in case I update? What if I never update? That means I'm paying more because I might update but if I don't they're ripping me off. That doesn't make sense to me.

6. mpossoff macrumors 68020

For a period of time Navigon got great ratings in the app store. Now it looks like ratings stink.

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Like I said, these are promotional prices. I have no idea why they are different, all I know the prices will be 29.99 for the upgrade in the next week or so.

----------

People aren't happy that it deletes their favorites. I have been using this app since 2009 and love it, have never had a problem. My built in Hyundai GPS is crap compared to Navigon. People are also unhappy about Garmin taking over, feeling like Garmin is going to screw them out of more money, even though the FreshMap makes 100% sense.

8. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Yes but from what I see it's because of misunderstanding the Fresh Maps XL in-app purchase. It seems that you don't have to buy it in order to get updates on the regular default maps which from what I understand is whenever the app gets updated which may not be that often where as the Fresh Maps XL maps get updated quarterly.

9. rocknblogger, Nov 19, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2011

rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

The promo price is for Navigon but I can't find anything anywhere suggesting that the Fresh Maps XL upgrade is going to be any more than the current $19.99.

EDIT: Current price for the different versions, $14.99, $19.99, $24.99

10. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

http://www.navigon.com/portal/int/uebernavigon/presse/artikel/111117_iPhone2.0.html

All you need to do is go to Navigon and it will answer all your questions. This is stating the Europe pricing but the point is the same. The FreshMap and app itself are on reduced pricing until 11/30

11. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

12. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I don't think any of us have to real answer. Best bet is just emailing them.

13. kalex macrumors 65816

14. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

But it's mostly because people are mistakenly thinking they are being ripped off. Previously from what I understand Navigon didn't use Fresh Maps XL so the maps were updated once or twice a year at the same time the app was updated and it will continue like this. But now they are offering the in-app fresh maps update which will update the maps four times a year independently of the app. Thats why all the negative reviews.

But if you look at the reviews there isn't too much negative talk about the app itself.

15. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Actually over the last two years, 8 updates, only two provided map updates because they have to pay a dividend when doing so. So FreshMaps makes up that cost difference and allows 4 updates a year just for maps. Not a bad deal in my opinion but I have a built-in gps so it's not needed as much as before. (Even though Hyundai's software is crap)

16. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I was right. I purchased the regional version for $19.99 and then bought the Fresh Maps XL update for $24.99 and it gave me the entire North America map set including Canada, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.

17. thatdrewguy macrumors regular

Is FreshMaps different from FreshMapsXL? Shouldn't you have gotten 50% off for the update?

Attached Files:

18. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Are "Fresh Maps" really that big of a deal? Do roads change that much every 4 months? :confused:

Seems like almost everyone would be fine getting the regular $19.99 version and getting a yearly map update instead...

19. Ccrew macrumors 68020

It got great ratings because it worked well. It still does, but with Garmin having purchased them they're now charging for map updates when they didn't before. Look at all the low star ratings and it's pretty clear it's grousing about the pay vs free.

----------

With the recession and construction on hold in most places no they don't, but there during the boom they couldn't put new streets down fast enough. Even now though it frequently takes 6+ months for the major mapping companies to pick them up.

20. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Is Navigon still a good GPS/Navigation app despite the new pricing structure? I use the free MapQuest and it works ok but looking for something better. MapQuest has gotten me to destinations but has messed me up a few important times. I drive a truck for a living and need something close to flawless.

21. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

MapQuest f'd me over a couple of weeks ago by forgetting where we were halfway into the journey. I bought Navigon East and we drove up to Vermont yesterday. It takes up c300 mb space for NY and VT maps. The Navigation was great and it was easy to use.

I was bummed that going to iPhone meant I lost google navigation, but my phone would overheat and shut off and would lose charge even when plugged in with google navigation.

Navigon is much better. It was accurate and I kept it connected to power, but when I got out of the car and disconnected it, it had 100% battery life. So from me, I think it's well worth it over MapQuest.

22. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Thanks. What is bottom line pricing for Navigon?

23. bmms8 macrumors 68020

what do you mean bottom line pricing?

there are in app purchases for different items, but the app itself is on sale for $30 right now. that includes all of USA

24. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Roads change every day. You never know when you're going to hit a new/changed road. That being said. MOST roads stay the same for a very long time, and the chances of you needing the update is very small.

25. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Since I just bought it i can't definitively answer your question but what I can tell you is, when you enter an address to navigate to, Navigon shows you two or three different routes and lets you choose the one you think is best.

Hope that helps.