Navigon says my house is in a "restricted area"

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by psywzrd, Aug 21, 2009.

1. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Has anyone had Navigon tell them that their destination (in this case, my house) is in a restricted area? I have no idea what that means (couldn't find an explanation on Navigon's website). It's not a huge deal because it will still guide me home, but I find it annoying that it tells me my house is in a restricted area.

2. Catch-22 macrumors newbie

It probably means that the FBI are coming for you.

3. MacToddB macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

You in District 9? Area 51?

Seriously, it's probably a subdivision that doesn't have true city/county/state roads. Like a private townhouse complex. It's like those folks who have revolted against Google's StreetView cars and won't let them take pictures on their streets.

4. Surrix macrumors regular

Interesting, mine says it too, and the road is definitely just a regular public road.

5. iPhoneVic macrumors regular

iPhoneVic

6. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

It's just how the road is classified in Navteq road atlas.

Any other GPS that uses Navteq (Garmin, etc) would show something similar.

If you go into route settings on the Navigon you will see that it will mark "pedestrian only" routes as "restricted". Turn that off and see if the location still shows restricted.

7. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Jailbroken iPhone + free hacked copy of Navigon = Area 51

8. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Just tried that - still saying Restricted Area. I guess I'll have to just live with it or pick another "home" destination nearby that doesn't come up as restricted.

9. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Grab the GPS coordinates for your home, and email Navigon about it. See if they can fix the "restricted" thing on a future update, assuming that it's not the Navteq data that's bonkered.

10. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

I could be wrong, but I think this is because you have the route options set to avoid residential streets? I just got Navigon and I noticed this too, but haven't had a chance to turn the option off and try.

11. WishIWasHere macrumors regular

I had it tell me the same thing when I was testing it out and set a route to go to the mall earlier today. I don't have it set up to avoid anything either, and the mall is on a heavily traveled road in my city. All it did was give me the warning before navigation started, and that was it. No big deal, just a little strange.

12. Mac N Tosh macrumors regular

The BlackHawks are circling....:p

13. str1f3 macrumors 68000

14. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

15. aawil macrumors 6502a

aawil

Playing around with Navigon today I set it for my local mall which according to Navigon is in a restricted area.:rolleyes: